Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm confused about why someone would want a trackpad on a desktop computer. They've always been terrible in my experience, and a decent quality mouse (I have the Logitech G502 Hero SE) with macros properly setup handles most of the features. So what does the Magic Trackpad give that a decent mouse does not?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Apple trackpads are great, not terrible. They allow gesture control of macOS, which is super efficient. macOS is best used with a trackpad, and it’s every bit as precise as a mouse. I have two notebooks and a Mac Mini, and I don’t even own a mouse.

Last edited:

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have both a Magic Mouse and a Magic Trackpad, but I mainly use the Mouse since it allows me for more precision when working. The trackpad is great for its gesture support and for doing casual stuff. When I want to work though with multiple windows and apps, I always use my mouse.

Reactions: fisherman188

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I use trackpads exclusively. I prefer it for photoshop, I and got used to using it for video editing and motion graphics.

it’s a lot less clunky than sliding something around on a desk and bumping into stuff. I used to use a trackball back in the ‘90s, so a trackpad was a step up from that the first time I used it.

Also, it makes it seamless going between a desktop, macbook, and iPad with magic keyboard.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I bought a gen 1 Magic Trackpad when they first came out and never went back to a mouse on my Mac. One of the best features is the angle (2nd gen are shallower) and I do turn on tap to click so I never click the trackpad, only tap for click.

Ironically, I don't like trackpads on laptops and have a Magic Keyboard and Trackpad for my MacBook Pro, preferring to use the external over the actual laptop keyboard and trackpad, if I am at a desk.

aurora_sect

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2022
I got sick of Magic Mice and prefer my Logi MX Anywhere overall, but I do miss gestures. Maybe I should get a trackpad.

Reactions: mr_jomo

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
When I picked up my Mac Studio, I decided to splurge and try out the Magic Trackpad and Touch ID keyboard. I have never used a trackpad on a desktop before - and I have always disliked the Apple keyboards, preferring mechanical keyboards.

I am hoping that I can come around and learn to like them. In an effort to allow me to lean back in my chair, as opposed to hunching over with the keyboard and mouse on the desk, I have picked up one of those 12 South Keyboard Trackpad bridges, and hoping that when combined in one package, it will allow me to lean back and use them as a single unit. I am placing the combo on a laptop tray and hoping it all works out like I think it might.

I thought it was funny that this topic came up because I was wondering what I was doing with a trackpad on my new Mac Studio. So far I think I really like the trackpad, but I am not sure if I will be able to adjust to the keyboard. Compared to what I am used to, I feel like I am typing on a picture of a keyboard right now ?

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I got the first gen magic trackpad and have never gone back to a mouse. Can't stand a mouse. I can actually be MORE precise with photo editing with a trackpad, and the gesture support is huge--I flip between full screen apps constantly, for example.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
When I picked up my Mac Studio, I decided to splurge and try out the Magic Trackpad and Touch ID keyboard. I have never used a trackpad on a desktop before - and I have always disliked the Apple keyboards, preferring mechanical keyboards.

I am hoping that I can come around and learn to like them. In an effort to allow me to lean back in my chair, as opposed to hunching over with the keyboard and mouse on the desk, I have picked up one of those 12 South Keyboard Trackpad bridges, and hoping that when combined in one package, it will allow me to lean back and use them as a single unit. I am placing the combo on a laptop tray and hoping it all works out like I think it might.

I thought it was funny that this topic came up because I was wondering what I was doing with a trackpad on my new Mac Studio. So far I think I really like the trackpad, but I am not sure if I will be able to adjust to the keyboard. Compared to what I am used to, I feel like I am typing on a picture of a keyboard right now ?

I am the opposite of you, OldMike, when it comes to keyboards. I started typing on mechanical typewriters and hated how hard and how far you had to press the keys. Then, along came electric typewriters that addressed both issues, though they still had a considerable amount of keyboard travel. Eventually, the chicklet-style low key-travel keyboards came out and I was in heaven. I can type much faster and with fewer errors on Apple’s current keyboards than I ever could on the mechanical types. Perhaps my fingers are just lazy and refuse to move any more than is necessary, but the current crop of keyboards really work for me. I especially liked the feel of the now infamous butterfly keyboard! To each, their own.

OSB

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
As others have said, gesture support.

I made the switch many years ago and at this point am every bit as precise with the trackpad as with my mouse. I do still use a mouse for gaming, as I much prefer mouse-look to trackpad control. But that's mostly because I play with the Y-axis inverted and I find that a weird mapping to the pad.

Reactions: haruhiko

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I am the opposite of you, OldMike, when it comes to keyboards. I started typing on mechanical typewriters and hated how hard and how far you had to press the keys. Then, along came electric typewriters that addressed both issues, though they still had a considerable amount of keyboard travel. Eventually, the chicklet-style low key-travel keyboards came out and I was in heaven. I can type much faster and with fewer errors on Apple’s current keyboards than I ever could on the mechanical types. Perhaps my fingers are just lazy and refuse to move any more than is necessary, but the current crop of keyboards really work for me. I especially liked the feel of the now infamous butterfly keyboard! To each, their own.
Some people ram on their keyboard really hard and probably that's why they can't stand keyboards with shallower travel. To me the magic keyboard is just right, more travel than the poor butterfly keyboards, and less movement of my fingers than mechanical keyboards. But to each their own of course.

I bought a gen 1 Magic Trackpad when they first came out and never went back to a mouse on my Mac. One of the best features is the angle (2nd gen are shallower) and I do turn on tap to click so I never click the trackpad, only tap for click.

Ironically, I don't like trackpads on laptops and have a Magic Keyboard and Trackpad for my MacBook Pro, preferring to use the external over the actual laptop keyboard and trackpad, if I am at a desk.
Tap to click is essential to the trackpad experience. It clicks when you slightly tap on the Trackpad and this should be how a trackpad works. Note: even after enabling tap to click, force touch (press on the keyboard for clicks) still works, so it's the best of both worlds.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I switched to mac in 2018 with a mini. I even drug over my dell keyboard and mouse. But after a year or so, the 15 year old keyboard and mouse were getting worn. Plus my wrist was getting sore with the mouse. So I tried a trackpad 2 (I normally hate them), and fell in love. Then I borrowed one of my husband’s spare Apple keyboards and really like the shallow travel on the keys. So now I’m pretty much all Apple. In 2017 I had no smart phone, watch, or mac. I did have a 2015 ipad pro. Today I have an iphone 12 mini, watch 6, 2018 mini, and still use that 2015 ipad pro.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
For me, tap to click results in a) too many unwanted clicks, and b) accidentally moving the cursor when tapping. I find I’m more precise when I move the cursor to the exact coordinate and then press down to click while holding the cursor in place. YMMV

EDIT: OK, so it turns out I don't even know what I do. After typing the above message, I realize that I actually keep my pointer on the trackpad and click towards the bottom of the pad with my thumb. The software seems to reject my thumb's touch, but obviously accepts the pressure from the click...

Last edited:
Reactions: OSB

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I have a magic trackpad because I started to feel pain from RSI using a mouse. More specifically the fingers that contact the buttons. So now I go back and forth between the mouse and the trackpad. After about 3-4 months of using a mouse I have to go back to the trackpad for a while.

Reactions: haruhiko

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I use trackpads exclusively.
Same here. Haven't used a mouse since Apple released their first trackpad many years ago, don't even remember when that was. I think the last mouse I owned was the version that required two AA batteries inside. It's sitting in a box somewhere in my garage.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I can type much faster and with fewer errors on Apple’s current keyboards than I ever could on the mechanical types.
Same here. Can't stand the travel on mechanical keyboards let alone the noise (on many of them). What's great is that there are so many options in this area that we can have what we like! I was typing just a bit faster even on the the ill fated butterfly keyboard, when it didn't break on me, that is.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Same here. Haven't used a mouse since Apple released their first trackpad many years ago, don't even remember when that was. I think the last mouse I owned was the version that required two AA batteries inside. It's sitting in a box somewhere in my garage.
Well the last trackpad I owned required two AA batteries too! :p I had the reachable trackpad (v2) at work, but I'm so glad to be moving on to the new one at home. My rechargeable AA batteries were barely lasting a week, they are so old.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
OK. You have all convinced me. I'll get the Magic Trackpad. I'm all for doing things quickly, and it does sound useful now that you have all explained how you use it.
You've got 14 days to return it, so give yourself a few days to get used to it. I bet it will feel strange at first...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.