Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpanishAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2023
Badajoz
I bought my iMac without a Magic Trackpad and now I regret it. Oh well, Silver Trackpad it is then instead of blue. I think the Trackpad is worth it even if only for the stupid way the mouse charges

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I had a trackpad already and love the trackpad but my Ultra is horrible keeping bluetooth devices connected. Mouse, trackpad, and keyboard all randomly disconnect.

krell100

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Question for those using a trackpad with Photoshop/Illustrator; How do you do things like create paths with Bézier curves, you kind of have to grab the handles, sometimes with option held down, it seems like that precision isn't possible with the trackpad?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Question for those using a trackpad with Photoshop/Illustrator; How do you do things like create paths with Bézier curves, you kind of have to grab the handles, sometimes with option held down, it seems like that precision isn't possible with the trackpad?
I don't know why you'd think that. It absolutely is possible, and just as easy–for me. Tools like these are very subjective.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I use a mouse left handed and have a trackpad on the right side. Best of both worlds. As stated above, keeping them connected is my issue.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I have to have a trackpad on MacOS. Just having a regular mouse sucks. In all my mac setups I have Magic Trackpad on the left and Razer gaming mouse on my right as my main mouse. The trackpad for gestures and fine scrolling control and zooming in/out. I hate not having that when I'm on my Windows PC. But I've relegated my PC to gaming activities only so it's become moot.

Reactions: mr_jomo

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I haven't touched a mouse in a decade.
I've barely used a mouse since the original Apple trackpad came out in, what, 2010?

I find the trackpad so much nicer to use than a mouse, swipes, gestures, scrolling etc, I find it all so much easier and smoother with the trackpad.

Reactions: osplo and SadChief

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The only problem I have with the trackpad is trying to use my fingers for precise placement in apps like Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator – which I don't find the Magic Trackpad can do at all. But that's where I spend 90% of my computer time. If I was still writing for a living, I would definitely use a Magic Trackpad.

Reactions: krell100

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Well I've never used one so I'm assuming its a bit like touch on an iPad...
You could think that if you haven’t used the trackpad, but it’s different than iPad precision.

The iPad (and iPhone) are 1:1 movement ratio when using touch. One inch of touch equals one inch on screen. The Mac trackpad can provide more or less movement to the on screen cursor than the touch input on the trackpad.

Like a mouse, the slower you move your finger on the trackpad, the slower and more precise the control, and conversely the movement is larger the faster you move. With a trackpad and mouse, you can go from one corner of the screen to another if you swipe quickly, or gently control points and pixels with small movements.

When working with a 27” display, you don’t need a 27” trackpad to cover the entire screen — just like you don’t need a 27” mouse pad. The iPad’s touch input is the same size of the screen, so slower movements aren’t more precice. They‘re just slower.

Personally, on the Mac, I find my finger on the trackpad is more precise than my wrist dragging a puck around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.