Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Just to be clear, in my case and others, the culprit is not smb sharing, but having smb network shares mounted.
Although you mean that by „smb sharing“ then please ignore my comment.
It‘s so frustrating, Apple isn‘t able to implement SMB mounting properly while at the same time abandoning AFP.

fibonacci123

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2022
Yes, SMB seems to be always off. I occasionally connect my external hard drive to back up files but kernel panic happens whether the hard drive is connected or not. I only use one hard drive, Seagate, though it is originally formatted for windows which was my previous computer and I need to download NTFS for Mac to use it. I have tried removing the NTFS for Mac app and/or not connecting the hard drive at all, but the problem persists. Thanks for your help!

fibonacci123

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2022
Just curious, if nothing works, since I have apple care, is apple obliged to replace my computer?

Last edited:

applefanboysince93

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
The SMB theory seemed appealing to me initially, but alas in my case I don't think it has anything to do the Kps I suffered for months.

Someone pointed out that the the SMB theory had to do with mounting SMB shares not hosting them anyhow, and that was never my problem (that I noticed). Further, if it were mounting SMB shares I'd think the problem would be far more widespread as Google Drive's client is now SMB based and I imagine millions of Mac users use that.

In my case, after trying numerous fixes and wasting hours and hours researching, including even some support from the developer of EtreCheck, I decided to rebuild with Monterey's erase all content and settings option in System Preferences. It's been smooth sailing since. To be clear I went with that option simply because it's the quickest way to begin the rebuild process.

After the clean rebuild I checked with kextstat and noticed that com.apple.filesystems.smbfs is not loaded by default. In fact, it wasn't loading at all until I installed Google Drive. What I've noticed is that com.apple.filesystems.smbfs just happens to be the last kext that macOS loads, perhaps because it doesn't load by default but when it does get called it then goes on at the end. If since boot you mount a flash drive that is exFat based or connect a USB dongle of some sort then corresponding drivers may load and appear more recent, but I presume if I reboot then com.apple.filesystems.smbfs may again be the last one to load (I haven't tested that) for whatever reason and so perhaps that is why it appeared in as the last loaded Kext in my KPs.

Crossing my fingers here it's been 5 days and still no KP. I deliberately kept third party software to a minimum this time. I'd like to install Amazon photos (for upload/backup) on the Mac but am waiting until I am sure the problem is fixed with the limited set of software that is on there now.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Someone pointed out that the the SMB theory had to do with mounting SMB shares not hosting them anyhow, and that was never my problem (that I noticed). Further, if it were mounting SMB shares I'd think the problem would be far more widespread as Google Drive's client is now SMB based and I imagine millions of Mac users use that.
That would be me.
But I totally agree with you - my only explanation is, it's not a SMB problem in general, but it must be something on the server side, that causes problems with Apple's implementation of samba. In my case it's a Win 10 Pro v1909 machine.
Would be interesting to know, what people are connecting to, where mounting SMB shares is actually the culprit.
For me it definitely was the com.apple.filesystems.smbfs when mounting SMB shares.
Clean install and vanilla system (Big Sur).
Since mounting the shares via AFP, not a single KP anymore (although the smbfs.kext is still loaded by default on macOS 11.6.5).
Can't comment on SMB mounting on the recent version of Big Sur / Monterey as I didn't dare to try switching back from 100% stable AFP.

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
I have two Mac Pro 6,1 machines and the same problem. Tried Big Sur, Monterey and even Mojave. Don't know what else to do.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
I had it stable with Mojave. But not with anything newer than that. Until now, I updated bootrom to 430.120.6.0.0, as other users had been reporting it helped them.

This might be somehow more complicated than what we think. But at least we have hope now that Apple porbably is going to introduce official bootrom fix in the next releases of it's OS updates (Monterey and seems like Big Sur too).

GPU driver issues (Mac Pro 2013)
Monterey crash in sleep

So now I think there is hope there is hope.
;)

Reactions: macribas

Bapteash

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
France
Any updates on your sides? Thanks
late-2013 21.5" iMac users having issues with Ventura
Repairing my Photos library helped but then last night I let the iMac sleeping and this morning : KP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.