Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenjen80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2016
Columbus, OH
I pulled out my 8 last week to sell on Swappa and as I was holding it in my hand to take photos, I remembered how great the size was for me (as a female, it’s the perfect size for one-handed use). So I put my SIM in and used it for a few days, and I didn’t miss my 11. I did swap back to my 11 just because of the camera, but that’s really the only advantage the 11 has over the 8 to me. But on the flip side, I don’t use the additional features in the better camera too often anyway. So I’m just wondering if anyone else has made the same “downgrade” for an extended period of time; if so, what are your thoughts? Is there anything you miss about the 11?

FWIW, keeping both and swapping isn’t an option I particularly want to consider; I tend to look at an “extra” phone as cash sitting in a drawer, so I’ll either keep the 11 and sell the 8, or sell the 11 and trade in the 8 on the 9/SE2 when and if it materializes.

xristos_d

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2020
no i don t have make this downgrade but i believe that in a few days you will accept the size and fat..if not then you can try the X or Xs or also 11 pro...they are beautiful phones and they are in your ''size''

Reactions: HYPOKON2000

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I love the size of my 8 and I'm not female. :) And my wife loves the size of her 7+. As the saying goes... different strokes for different folks. I probably will buy her an 11 because of the nicer colors available and as you say, the superior camera.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
if so, what are your thoughts?

I have similar thought!

Bought the X, but returned it within 14 days of purchase. Rinse and repeat for the XS. I realised (for me) I no cared that it’s an iphone; a phone is a device which I do tasks on (and as I get older, I care less for specs and more for what it can do for me).

The X and XS do essentially the same tasks (calls, messages, web browsing, music, navigation) as my current phone (SE), and run the exact same software. It makes no sense (for me) to spend money (or worse be in debt) on a device when I already own a capable device…

Haus Of Montague

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
I actually tried this. When I traded in my X for the 11 Pro I instantly experienced "upgrade regret". I was about to sell my pro for about $1100 and get a used X and extra cash but it wasn't worth it for me. Most folks selling a silver X 256gb was about $800-$600 CDN. On Kijiji this was the cheapest. Then i saw folks selling the iphone 8 256 gb for about $350-$400. This would be worth it. Luckily my family member had an extra iphone 8 i could experiment and compare with.

In terms of battery it didn't matter to me. I have chargers everywhere at home, work and in the car. I love the build and size of the 8. And I really missed the speed and convenience of Touch ID.
The 8 is still a reliable and fast device. I wasn't missing my 11 Pro at all.

But what made me go back to the 11 Pro was not just the camera. It was the difference in low light photos and videos. There was a stark difference. Especially in my current condo with low light scenarios. During the day with all that sunlight almost any smartphone will take good pics. But in low light i just was not satisfied with the 8's camera. I have 2 daughters, a baby and at toddler, and i take lots of pics/videos of them. The 11 Pro handles low light much better than the 8.

I know this post is speaking to the 11. I'm assuming the 11 and 11 Pro low light capabilities are the same.

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
In a way I’m in a similar boat as OP. Holding out on the SE, even though I really have a need for a better camera, due to 11 being way too big (also kinda dislike its design although to that I could get used to).

So here’s hoping the SE2/9 materializes in the next couple of months with the camera matching the main one on the 11. Would be a perfect phone for me. Otherwise guess I’ll have to cave in and get that 11, they’re already available slightly used for 630-650$ in my region.

Could’ve easily kept the SE for a couple more years though if I didn’t need the better camera. It works absolutely fine still.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I pulled out my 8 last week to sell on Swappa and as I was holding it in my hand to take photos, I remembered how great the size was for me (as a female, it’s the perfect size for one-handed use). So I put my SIM in and used it for a few days, and I didn’t miss my 11. I did swap back to my 11 just because of the camera, but that’s really the only advantage the 11 has over the 8 to me. But on the flip side, I don’t use the additional features in the better camera too often anyway. So I’m just wondering if anyone else has made the same “downgrade” for an extended period of time; if so, what are your thoughts? Is there anything you miss about the 11?

FWIW, keeping both and swapping isn’t an option I particularly want to consider; I tend to look at an “extra” phone as cash sitting in a drawer, so I’ll either keep the 11 and sell the 8, or sell the 11 and trade in the 8 on the 9/SE2 when and if it materializes.

Trade the 11 in for the 9/SE2 when it arrives.

Reactions: jenjen80

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I had an SE, bought an XR, and have recently bought a used SE again. I miss, miss the small size of the SE and how easy it is to use one handed and how easy it fits into my pocket. Hate how big the XR is, but the battery life on it is awesome and the display is really nice. So I'm currently trying to decide which phone to keep. It's a toss up right now.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I had an SE, bought an XR, and have recently bought a used SE again. I miss, miss the small size of the SE and how easy it is to use one handed and how easy it fits into my pocket. Hate how big the XR is, but the battery life on it is awesome and the display is really nice. So I'm currently trying to decide which phone to keep. It's a toss up right now.

Battery Life over everything!

Why not just keep the XR and trade it in for the the SE2 when it eventually arrives?

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Sell your 8 and your 11, wait for the 9. Should be releasing soon.

It's camera should be on par with the 11 (with night mode!), and it'll be a good enough compromise. Little bit of the 8, little bit of the 11, just about right.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Just one extra thought: My wife has an 8+ and I have an 11 Pro. I actually think I could not go back to fingerprint rather than facial recognition.
Yup, I had to pry the 8+ from my wife in December when I upgraded her. She was dead against Face ID. Now, she's like me and could never go back to touch ID again.

pdp1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2018
I used to have a 6 and while the XR was almost a necessary upgrade for me because the 6 was getting so slow, I was still hesitant due to the size of the XR because like you, the size of the 6 fit my hands better. I've gotten used to the XR for the most part and really do enjoy the extra screen real estate. Then recently, work got me an 8 so I've had a couple months to really compare the two side by side. I immediately realized how much I missed the size of the 8. Also, I don't find myself missing the screen real estate of the XR as much as I thought I would when I use the 8.

All that said, I'd still be hesitant to go back to an 8, or even SE2/9 for that matter for a few reasons:

1) I don't really want to go back to Touch ID from Face ID. It annoys me when I have to unlock my work 8.

2) The battery life on the XR still amazes me, it's been well over a year and it's still unusual for me to go a whole day and need to charge part way, the 8 will be hard pressed to do that

3) I don't think I'd want to downgrade to a near 3 year old processor, not necessarily for performance, but for continued iOS support and resale later on when I upgrade (thought this will be moot when the SE2/9 is released)

4) While I don't take many pictures with my 8 work phone, my wife still uses her 8 to take lots of pictures and I always notice how pictures on my XR turn out better; this is probably even more apparent to you with your 11 vs 8.

5) And finally, I'm hopeful that by the time I upgrade next (either this fall or fall 2021), there will be an iPhone similar in size to the Pro but not as expensive.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Use an 11 Pro, when I tried my old iPhone 8 again (gave to mom as upgrade), the first thought that popped into my mind was "Wow the design is timeless"

Reactions: HYPOKON2000

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I returned the iPhone 11 and went back to my 6s plus. It just feels better in my hand and I don't like Face ID and that ugly notch
The only thing that I found better was the camera

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have an 11 Pro and use my “old” 8 for beta testing iOS software. There have been times that I have swapped SIM cards and go back to the 8. I still love the design and one handed use of the device (not that I can’t one hand the 11 Pro, the 8 is just more comfortable).

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I went from an 8 to an 11 Pro. Wouldn’t dream of going back, couldn’t deal with those huge bezels. Yuck.

Reactions: catean

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I pulled out my 7 Plus and I used to love that screen. After I tweaked my 11 Pro Max under accessibility/color filters, I'm very content. My 7 Plus no longer looked that great to me and within minutes, I knew exactly why I upgraded in the first place. The battery life. I watched it die so quickly and was grateful for my Pro Max.

My 7 Plus with an aftermarket battery case and my 11 Pro Max are about the same weight. Different screen sizes but I moved from my 9.7 iPad Pro to a 12.9 iPad Pro. So I'm moving up.

Think my vision isn't as good as it once was, unfortunately.

Edit: I got used to Face ID pretty quick. Except on the iPad. I bought the 12.9 third gen but returned it for a first gen with a great deal on Swappa.

Reactions: Tsepz

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I have multiple phones, and size/feel in hand the SE and 6s feel better than the 11. Screen better on the 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.