Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Even as a male with large hands, the 11 is just a hair wider than my perfect comfort point (which, for me, is the slightly narrower 11 Pro). For a woman with typical hands, I could see where the 8 might be a more attractive size.

Truth is, we've reached the point where new models aren't necessarily all-around upgrades *for us.* While there's always at least one better feature, there may also be downsides. Do consider the features, though. You're right about the camera, but the 11 also has better battery life, FaceID, and a nearly full-screen experience. But you could partially mitigate the batter life advantage by buying a new batter for your 8, and the other things may not matter to you as much as the size you prefer. Trust your gut on your needs/wants and don't think about the 8 as a "downgrade."

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
I have an SE, an 8 and an 11Pro. I love the size & form factor of the 8 but have developed a hatred for TouchID, it's just too slow and finnicky despite having about 5 fingerprints on file. It took me 4 tries at the 11Pro to like it enough to keep it past 14 days, but I do like the new improved FaceID, the cams are very good, as is the battery. The 8 and SE will stcik around as spares or loaners, I still like both of them.

Cobalt50

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
I just bought an 11 Pro going from an 8. I still have my 14 days and I'm thinking about taking it back. I thought I would love it. But it's just bigger and heavier than I like. Battery life is good. Camera is good. But I am not seeing the value in it.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I just bought an 11 Pro going from an 8. I still have my 14 days and I'm thinking about taking it back. I thought I would love it. But it's just bigger and heavier than I like. Battery life is good. Camera is good. But I am not seeing the value in it.

Yep, your not alone. I think the weight more than anything else is what makes usage not as enjoyable for some who prefer the older, lighter devices. If in doubt, return it. You can always buy it again if you need longer to test it.

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
I started with a 7, used it for 1 year, bought an 8 and then swapped between the 2 monthly, mainly to keep the battery life up. Not bought an 11, retiring the 7 and then going to swap between the 8 and the 11. That way the battery % will last longer

Cobalt50

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Yep, your not alone. I think the weight more than anything else is what makes usage not as enjoyable for some who prefer the older, lighter devices. If in doubt, return it. You can always buy it again if you need longer to test it.

I did return it and I have no regrets. The 8 is so much easier for me to handle. The 11 Pro fooled me. By itself it doesn't seem much bigger than the 8. But when I put a case on it the 11 Pro just got too unwieldy. I also like to carry my phone in my t-shirt pocket and the 11 Pro just sagged the pocket. I also had some trouble with the OLED screen, I think. I'm looking forward to the new "9" whenever it shows up.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Gen 1 SE 128gb forever!

Nitpick:

There was only one Gen ‘SE’ Offered in that form factor, there Was/will never be a GEN two SE in that specific phone. In other words, you can just refer to it as the ‘iPhone SE.’

Reactions: MarkX

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I started with a 7, used it for 1 year, bought an 8 and then swapped between the 2 monthly, mainly to keep the battery life up. Not bought an 11, retiring the 7 and then going to swap between the 8 and the 11. That way the battery % will last longer

Swapping between two phones to keep the long term battery health up won’t increase the length of time the phone lives for.

It will work out just the same if you used the 8 as your sole device until it died then moved on to the 11.

Thinking about it, it’ll probably have a worse effect on battery life switching between 2 phones on a monthly basis. For the month one of the phones sits in a drawer the battery will degrade, even if only a little.

Last edited:

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California

That’s not how it works, LOL. You’d be better off just using the phone you like.

Reactions: MarkX

Dejected

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2019
I have the 11 for three months now and I really miss the iphone 8 so much and how it feels in the hand .. perfect lightweight size

the 11 is too huge

Reactions: Cobalt50

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I would get a 8 over an 11, similar screen quality better reception. Camera only advantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.