Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
it would be great if people take a picture with grey background in a dark room so everyone can compare his/her own display

AnotherAverageUser

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2021
Yes, and I thought it was just me. It got annoying to the point that I had to replace all my wallpapers to dark or punchy colours. Most visible when there is not a lot of content on screen. Love my MacBook, but extremely disappointing screen for a $6000 laptop.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
could you please post a foto with grey backgroung in dark room

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
my 14" has a bit of a green tint in the top right corner, fairly subtle but still annoying.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
it would be great if people take a picture with grey background in a dark room so everyone can compare his/her own display

Honestly... no uniformity issue. 14" M1 Pro 10 cores 16GB 1TB. The only thing I do notice is that the two sides are slightly darker when I don't look at them straight on when there is a white background. But if I look straight at them, they're fine.

IMG_4514.jpg

Bonus:

No cursor or top menu bar:
IMG_4517.jpg

And very very very dark gray (to my eyes, this is just barely brighter than black), and you can clearly see I couldn't hide the cursor in notch very well here:
IMG_4518.jpg

P.S.: if you can see red patches, please ignore those. Those came from the camera (my iPhone) being sensitive to the coating on the display or something. I can assure you... this looks basically perfect to my naked eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: metapunk2077fail

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
Honestly... no uniformity issue. 14" M1 Pro 10 cores 16GB 1TB. The only thing I do notice is that the two sides are slightly darker when I don't look at them straight on when there is a white background. But if I look straight at them, they're fine.

View attachment 1904547

Bonus:

View attachment 1904552

And very very very dark gray (to my eyes, this is just barely brighter than black), and you can clearly see I couldn't hide the cursor in notch very well here:
View attachment 1904553

P.S.: if you can see red patches, please ignore those. Those came from the camera (my iPhone) being sensitive to the coating on the display or something. I can assure you... this looks basically perfect to my naked eyes.

That's all that matters. How it looks to your eyes, not how it looks to a camera.

Cameras are not users.

7Mekanos

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2021
Though it’s a bit hard to tell in the bright store lights, I noticed a color uniformity issue with the 14” in the store. The right side of the screen had a slight red tint. The 16” seemed to be fine.

Regarding brightness uniformity these new xdr displays (as well as my 12,9” IPP) seem to be good so far, haven’t noticed any dirty screen effect or uneven backlight in neither white or gray backgrounds. Time will tell if they stay that way or if they get all splotchy in a few years due to the individual wear of the minileds…

Still waiting for my own 16” to arrive, I’m a bit worried about these matters as I’ve had to return quite a few laptops and displays over the years because of uniformity issues.

Nocturnal-G

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
You can see my screen issue via this test. Middle of the screen looks brighter… gives a depth of field kind of look to my screen. Reading or doing anything hurts because my eyes are constantly out of focus.

CBAF0A5F-9C38-4B45-BD85-E3AA345506BF.jpeg

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
Consider only a few panels will have a nearly perfect uniformity.

I had a lot of Lg ips displays which are also used for the mbp 2021. Only one (it's extreme luck if you get one, in my case it was LG 34GP950G, had a lot of this panels (X34GS, 34GN850) with bad color tinting and dse) of around 100+ ips lcd screens i have tested has a nearly perfect uniformity. If you wont have bad uniformity you should look for Eizo Color Edge series with display uniformity equalizer. It's adjusting the uniformity for a lot display areas individually.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Middle of the screen looks brighter…
May well be brighter, as that's common, but it may also be angle of view. Typically, looking straight at an area of the screen makes it look brighter (whether with eyes or camera), so from a close viewing distance edges often look darker than they really are.

synergize

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Mine did good on all 13 tests, thanks for posting the test link. If you monitor looks good to your eyes it's fine, no one will see everything the same as the next person.

Attachments

• IMG_9605.JPG
    IMG_9605.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 437

instructio5

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2021
The brightness definitely drops off at the screen edges on my 16" M1 Pro, like a shadow/vignette kind of effect, especially on white backgrounds

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
discoloration on edges or somewhere in the whole area?
it's more like a frame that goes around the whole screen. I read, either in this thread or another, that it could be caused by the mini-LED not going all the way to the edges.

Last edited:

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017

View attachment 1904547

Bonus:

View attachment 1904552

View attachment 1904553

is there a little light bleeding on bottom right of the notch?

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
is there a little light bleeding on bottom right of the notch?

I believe that's the mouse cursor...@bill-p mentions it in the post...

I've got a 16" M1M here, no issues. This machine has been a joy to work with. Haven't got much time to nitpick, it keeps me too productive! ;)

Reactions: VaruLV

misiektoja

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
I went through 4 MBP 14s to get the perfect display. The first one had dark purple type of tint to the left and right edge of the screen, I could not focus due to that. The second one had pink tint on the left half of the screen, it was driving me crazy. The third one was almost perfect, but had some slight red tint at the bottom right corner, however it was rather acceptable, but since I got almost fully loaded MBP 14 (64 GB RAM and 4TB SSD) I decided I need a perfect one as it was not cheap and I intend to stay with it for another 4-5 years, so there should be no compromises. So I ordered the the 4th unit (while still keeping the 3rd one) and this one has perfect display, no tint, no darker edges. So there are perfect displays out there, however as my case shows most have some slight issues :-(

Reactions: VaruLV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.