Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm being forced to make the switch to one of my Android phones, either Pixel 7a or S23 Ultra. Physically no longer able to use any of my many iPhones for more than a minute without incurring neurological consequences. Currently the main consequence is pain and misery.

What on earth is Apple doing with their display tech?

Reactions: mjschabow

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I'm being forced to make the switch to one of my Android phones, either Pixel 7a or S23 Ultra. Physically no longer able to use any of my many iPhones for more than a minute without incurring neurological consequences. Currently the main consequence is pain and misery.

I am so sorry to hear this. That must be really frustrating. I have heard this from multiple people either using an M1 or later Mac and a lot of OLED iPhone users.

I really don't know what it is that they are doing but I have a feeling it has to do with a new algorithm tied to color reproduction of the OS. Also probably a battery saving feature of the displays and flicker they produce.

I kinda wish they would bring back the LCD panels used in the iPhone 11 and just increase resolution to full hd.

I have not personally experienced this that I know of although I do get migraines. I have never considered trying to trace back screen use as a cause. I may have to look into this myself.

I hope a future iPhone screen will be better for you!

Personally I would use the s23 ultra as my main phone and the Pixel as a backup or secondary.

That is what I do with my Pixel and s23. I do occasionally switch them as I will use the Pixel as Primary for a couple weeks or a month and then back to the s23. I have been using the s23 as my main phone for a few months now and am about to switch to Pixel. I enjoy using both alternatively. They are both great.

I am really still very excited for the Pixel 8 Pro and it may get primary status for several months of it performs as I am hoping.

In my opinion the Pixel is as close to an iPhone as you will get on Android. My Samsung s23 has really been great though and it will take a lot to permanently knock it out of primary status for me.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I am so sorry to hear this. That must be really frustrating. I have heard this from multiple people either using an M1 or later Mac and a lot of OLED iPhone users.

I really don't know what it is that they are doing but I have a feeling it has to do with a new algorithm tied to color reproduction of the OS. Also probably a battery saving feature of the displays and flicker they produce.

I kinda wish they would bring back the LCD panels used in the iPhone 11 and just increase resolution to full hd.

I have not personally experienced this that I know of although I do get migraines. I have never considered trying to trace back screen use as a cause. I may have to look into this myself.

I hope a future iPhone screen will be better for you!

Personally I would use the s23 ultra as my main phone and the Pixel as a backup or secondary.

That is what I do with my Pixel and s23. I do occasionally switch them as I will use the Pixel as Primary for a couple weeks or a month and then back to the s23. I have been using the s23 as my main phone for a few months now and am about to switch to Pixel. I enjoy using both alternatively. They are both great.

I am really still very excited for the Pixel 8 Pro and it may get primary status for several months of it performs as I am hoping.

In my opinion the Pixel is as close to an iPhone as you will get on Android. My Samsung s23 has really been great though and it will take a lot to permanently knock it out of primary status for me.
I think you're right and it's about pushing what they can out of the hardware to get more colors and more battery life. Samsung went this route, too, which is why I find the s23 Ultra less comfortable to use than the S22 Ultra.

Reactions: Technerd108

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

Yikes, that does really suck because I believe you really prefer the Apple Ecosystem if I remember. I do love my S23 Ultra, had it for over 4 months and the longest I've been on Android in 10 years. But yeah Pixels are great too.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yikes, that does really suck because I believe you really prefer the Apple Ecosystem if I remember. I do love my S23 Ultra, had it for over 4 months and the longest I've been on Android in 10 years. But yeah Pixels are great too.
Yeah I'm trying to figure out what to do about the impact to iMessage conversations I've been in for the last 3-6 years or so. I'm right smack in the middle of several conversations.

It's hard to do this under ideal conditions and I'm under hectic conditions.

I'm thinking for now keeping the iPhone operational and so it can work with my Apple Watch and just forwarding calls to my Pixel.

But because Apple is being Apple control freakish, all texts sent to my Pixel or Samsung go to my iPhone or Apple Watch!
So I can't just give everyone my Pixel phone number and expect to still get texts from them. The text replies go straight to Apple because these people once texted me and when I appear as a contact to them I guess the communication routes to my iCloud ID. Even though my Pixel phone number isn't signed into iCloud and hasn't been for years.

My husband did run numerous tests and did research and apparently this is how Apple makes things work. It's a feature not a bug.

But I know a lot of you have two phone numbers and can still get texts sent to just Android phones, so there must be some way out of this situation. We are probably overlooking something in settings somewhere. My husband has very little time or energy outside of work so I'm sure it's possible he's missing something.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But because Apple is being Apple control freakish, all texts sent to my Pixel or Samsung go to my iPhone or Apple Watch!
So I can't just give everyone my Pixel phone number and expect to still get texts from them. The text replies go straight to Apple because these people once texted me and when I appear as a contact to them I guess the communication routes to my iCloud ID. Even though my Pixel phone number isn't signed into iCloud and hasn't been for years.
Hmmm... that's odd. As long as your Pixel number is nowhere near iCloud as in it's not associated with iMessage... I don't see how Pixel texts go to your iPhone or Apple Watch.

But I know a lot of you have two phone numbers and can still get texts sent to just Android phones, so there must be some way out of this situation. We are probably overlooking something in settings somewhere. My husband has very little time or energy outside of work so I'm sure it's possible he's missing something.
I think @aggie99 is doing the two phone number setup for iMessage. But I believe they are doing it under their email and so am I.

I've been doing this for years... (cellular) iPad for iMessage usage and get calls with an Android phone. And once again, I know its unorthodox... but I'd rather carry a iPad than the iPhone. And I've recently got into using BlueBubbles... so, I don't necessarily have to carry an iPad. But I've been so accustomed to having it with me.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
i am getting one this week... having iPhone and s23 ultra best combo but having 2 android hell n o
Why, hell no?

I can understand that you feel it is best of both worlds to have both type of OS/devices and I can agree that ideally it is best.

However if you like Android and it works for you then it is nice to have two Android devices.

I had an iPhone 13 Pro Max locked to T mobile and they wouldn't unlock it. I wanted to switch carriers after my contract was up. Because T mobile screwed me over I could not keep giving them my business. So I traded in my 13 Pro Max for an Android phone. I had another Android phone at the time. I upgraded that Android phone and now I have two Android phones. They are different enough that I enjoy using both for different reasons.

Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a decent, i.e. pro iPhone outright and I am not going to get another locked phone.

If Apple releases a iPhone SE next year and it is good enough and cheap enough I plan to hop back on iOS but other than a couple Apple software like iMessages and facetime I really don't miss iOS.

So I am just wondering your reasons for the "hell no" on two Android phones?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Right now I'm still on status quo. I'm using my Android phones for as much as possible but I still have so many texts coming in that I don't have a chance to try to make changes.

I also just started a new medication last night. I got my first real sleep in ages so maybe if my overall health improves I'll just be able to keep my iPhone going.

The medication is actually to help my digestive system stop spasming so bad I can barely get through a day, and sometimes even barely walk, but one of the side effects is better sleep! It's some kind of low dose antidepressant. I'm not depressed but I am sleep deprived. That could be making me hyper prone to migraines. And I apologize but I'm sure it's making my quality of posting terrible.

Last night was the first time I didn't feel like my brain was being electroshocked (which wakes me suddenly when I'm drifting off to sleep or wakes me up abruptly). It was so nice.

Lol it's so weird to have my gastroenterologist find a possible solution to my brain problem. I have lots more tests to undergo for him. I didn't fully understand what he told me but there's something going on with serotonin. Instead of causing depression it's doing other weird things to me.

I'm glad he's helping because there's an almost year long wait for the neurologists.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm getting a bit bored of Apple, and am thinking of trying something new.

I believe that Android is much more customisable than iOS, and that interests me.

How well will an S23 integrate with my Macs? I'm pretty sure it won't work with my AirPods Pro, Apple Watch or Apple TV?

So, have any of you made the switch? If so, what was your experience?

I want the BMW e30 special edition Korea only version.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah I don’t know what the heck is going on. I gave my daughter my Pixel phone number to text me on today. (I was setting up my new refurbished 12 Pro Max) and the texts wouldn’t come through to my Pixel. They go to any iOS device that’s working so they ended up coming to my Apple Watch. I can send out from the Pixel but incoming texts go to iPhones and iPads and Apple Watch.

So anyway I saw the Apple Store has 12 Pro Max refurbs. I used to use a 12 Pro Max with no problems so I got one.

I don’t know if this will work out for me. It takes some days for nervous system issues to show up. Plus by necessity I have had to also look at the old 14 Pro Max that’s making me feel pretty sick.

The display at least seems nice. I’m going to miss dynamic island. Everything else seems the same as my 14 Pro Max.

I actually prefer the camera so far because the photos look less sharpened and over processed. And I look better in the selfies…lol the less detail the better!

If it turns out I can use this 12 Pro Max I won’t feel cheated about it. It doesn’t feel dated. And I only got rid of the last one I had because it had a defective display. Speaking of which I should check for that defect again. I got myself a silver 256 GB one.

Edit: no green glow defect!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023
Hmmm... that's odd. As long as your Pixel number is nowhere near iCloud as in it's not associated with iMessage... I don't see how Pixel texts go to your iPhone or Apple Watch.

I think @aggie99 is doing the two phone number setup for iMessage. But I believe they are doing it under their email and so am I.

I've been doing this for years... (cellular) iPad for iMessage usage and get calls with an Android phone. And once again, I know its unorthodox... but I'd rather carry a iPad than the iPhone. And I've recently got into using BlueBubbles... so, I don't necessarily have to carry an iPad. But I've been so accustomed to having it with me.
Can you set up bluebubbles using only an iphone?

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Right now I'm still on status quo. I'm using my Android phones for as much as possible but I still have so many texts coming in that I don't have a chance to try to make changes.

I also just started a new medication last night. I got my first real sleep in ages so maybe if my overall health improves I'll just be able to keep my iPhone going.

The medication is actually to help my digestive system stop spasming so bad I can barely get through a day, and sometimes even barely walk, but one of the side effects is better sleep! It's some kind of low dose antidepressant. I'm not depressed but I am sleep deprived. That could be making me hyper prone to migraines. And I apologize but I'm sure it's making my quality of posting terrible.

Last night was the first time I didn't feel like my brain was being electroshocked (which wakes me suddenly when I'm drifting off to sleep or wakes me up abruptly). It was so nice.

Lol it's so weird to have my gastroenterologist find a possible solution to my brain problem. I have lots more tests to undergo for him. I didn't fully understand what he told me but there's something going on with serotonin. Instead of causing depression it's doing other weird things to me.

I'm glad he's helping because there's an almost year long wait for the neurologists.
Mirtazapine?

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
My thoughts have changed a fair bit, since I made this thread.

iOS 17 looks great, so I think I'll stick with iPhone.

I do intend to get the 15 Pro Max, when it's available.

I may consider getting an S24, when it's launched.

Appreciate all of your comments/info.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
My thoughts have changed a fair bit, since I made this thread.

iOS 17 looks great, so I think I'll stick with iPhone.

I do intend to get the 15 Pro Max, when it's available.

I may consider getting an S24, when it's launched.

Appreciate all of your comments/info.
Sounds like a solid choice. Excited to see what Apple will finally release for the 15 series.

iPhone is a great device. I think you just got to figure out what is best for you and go for it.

Would like to hear your thoughts on whatever you end up with.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Sounds like a solid choice. Excited to see what Apple will finally release for the 15 series.

iPhone is a great device. I think you just got to figure out what is best for you and go for it.

Would like to hear your thoughts on whatever you end up with.
Thanks for responding.

I’ll be sure to update.

Reactions: jr866gooner

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I switched to Ultra from 14 PM, but I still got the 14PM so I can judge both I think and make it quite straightforward.

Display - great on both, colors are amazing, but more saturated on Ultra. I prefer the screen real estate of Ultra much more.

Performance - Same on both, zero lag, no problems, 14PM gets definitely hotter when gaming.

Battery life - I would say it is about the same, but it depends on so many things.. Can’t go wrong with either of them.

sPen is a nice to have thing that does not bother you when you don’t use it, so it is a plus, QuickShare works just as good as AirDrop, if not better sometimes. Camera quality is on par with 1x, Samsung is miles ahead in 10x, and video is about the same, though iPhone has the advantage of Dolby Vision.

If you want a breath of fresh air, go for Ultra, it is a fun device that has absolutely everything, and does not bind you into closed off ecosystem like iPhone will. Use 3rd party apps for sync and you won’t have an issue.

That being said, I will probably go back to iPhone at some point, could see myself buying 16PM next..

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I switched to Ultra from 14 PM, but I still got the 14PM so I can judge both I think and make it quite straightforward.

Display - great on both, colors are amazing, but more saturated on Ultra. I prefer the screen real estate of Ultra much more.

Performance - Same on both, zero lag, no problems, 14PM gets definitely hotter when gaming.

Battery life - I would say it is about the same, but it depends on so many things.. Can’t go wrong with either of them.

sPen is a nice to have thing that does not bother you when you don’t use it, so it is a plus, QuickShare works just as good as AirDrop, if not better sometimes. Camera quality is on par with 1x, Samsung is miles ahead in 10x, and video is about the same, though iPhone has the advantage of Dolby Vision.

If you want a breath of fresh air, go for Ultra, it is a fun device that has absolutely everything, and does not bind you into closed off ecosystem like iPhone will. Use 3rd party apps for sync and you won’t have an issue.

That being said, I will probably go back to iPhone at some point, could see myself buying 16PM next..
Thanks for the unbiased advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.