Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I began reading this forum a couple weeks ago and noticed that people who ordered after me had quicker ship dates. I ordered 128 cellular Space Grey through ATT on the 17th with a Nov 3-7 ship date. I called ATT about this, and the led me on a wild goose chase. In the end, they said ALL ATT Authorized Retailers can do the Next plan on the iPad, which included their stores, Target, Radio Shack, and Best Buy.

I also had read about the trade-in offer at Best Buy and the mover's coupon. My local San Francisco BB was supposed to get some in, but didn't. They called another SF BB and they had 1 128 Silver Cellular unit and I headed over. I traded my iPad 2 for $173 + $50 coupon. I was actually the first person to use Next for an iPad in their store and they didn't even know they could do it until they checked. Slow process as they had to figure out things along the way. But the process went through. The only issue was I could not apply my trade-in or coupon against the price of the iPad as the installment payments are set by ATT. So they gave me a gift card for the $173, which I was able to use for the taxes and the CA recycling fee. As far as the $50 coupon which states it's for trade-in for iPad Air 2, they gave it to me as a $50 credit against anything in the store right then. I couldn't use the mover's coupon though. But I was happy just to get my iPad through the Next plan. All the rest was extra that I wouldn't have gotten through ATT.

Since you can do phone purchases at Apple with AT&T Next, I wonder why not tablets since they are technically trained like Best Buy employees to offer this...

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Apple... apparently you can't do Next with iPads through Apple because the girl didn't even know that was an option, lol.

EDIT 2: So tempted to just grab a 16GB and be done with it. AT&T finally has 16GB Space Grey in stock... don't know if it's worth it or not.

Last edited:

Rwhodges

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
Since you can do phone purchases at Apple with AT&T Next, I wonder why not tablets since they are technically trained like Best Buy employees to offer this...

That was the wild goose chase that ATT first sent me on, only to find out that Apple doesn't offer it. ATT told me just to go to an Apple Store and get one on Next. Drove across the City to get one, had it in my hands, and then Next would not show up under payment options. After 2 hours on the phone with ATT and Apple calling their ATT rep, it was discovered they don't offer it at present.

Best Buy said it just came available to them a few days before but that no one in the store knew about it until they checked when I went in. I want grey but settled on silver but I did get a 128. And I used the $50 coupon against a leather case. Trade-in was a good deal for an old iPad 2.

ruyehara47

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
I finally gave up waiting. Last night I saw online that my local AT&T store had 128 silver and gold in stock, so I placed an online order for instore pickup and cancelled my original preorder. I picked it up this morning. The waiting game is ridiculous.

DreLamar

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
My iPad Air 2 Space Gray 64 GB was suppose to ship today but they put it on back order so I went to my local AT&T store & had to settle for a silver 64gb & cancel my order. Happy I finally got it tho.

Songbirdslr

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Well now after 5 days of it saying "back-ordered it again says "preparing to ship" and shows my original ship date of 10/27-10/31.

Achtung

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
I finally gave up waiting. Last night I saw online that my local AT&T store had 128 silver and gold in stock, so I placed an online order for instore pickup and cancelled my original preorder. I picked it up this morning. The waiting game is ridiculous.

How do you check stock/availability at AT&T stores? I dont recall seeing that option on their website

Songbirdslr

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
How do you check stock/availability at AT&T stores? I dont recall seeing that option on their website

If you click the shop tab and find the item you want and click on it, you should see an "add to cart" tab and underneath it a "check in-store availability" tab.

Songbirdslr

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Hate to say it, but they will probably miss that shipping window.

Lol. I know its already passed. I just was pointing out that it had been saying "back-ordered" for 5 days and now it says" preparing to ship" again but they didn't update a ship date. It's weird. I just hope it means it's actually preparing to ship this time.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
Does Verizon handle preorders better? And what about just about everything else? Strongly considering switching.

Went ahead and cancelled my order and scheduled a pickup of a 128GB Silver. I didn't want Silver but I'm likely going to be putting it into a life proof (if they ever make one, seem to be taking absolutely forever for current gen devices) - so... doesn't really matter I suppose. Hope all goes well with the pickup.

Last edited:

ruyehara47

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
Lol. I know its already passed. I just was pointing out that it had been saying "back-ordered" for 5 days and now it says" preparing to ship" again but they didn't update a ship date. It's weird. I just hope it means it's actually preparing to ship this time.

Hope so.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida

I noticed the same thing with my iPad order as well. I did cancel my iPhone order that ghad a shipping window starting 11/15-24. The local Apple Store had the same phone model in stock, so I went there after canceling the item and got it at Apple on the Next program. No more waiting at least on the phone. If I don't hear anything soon on the iPad, may just cancel it altogether and wait until after Christmas.

EDIT: 11/05/14 21:20 Just received email from AT&T stating that my iPad shipped and they provided a tracking number. The wait is almost over, should receive it by Monday according to the tracking information.

Last edited:

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
I noticed the same thing with my iPad order as well. I did cancel my iPhone order that ghad a shipping window starting 11/15-24. The local Apple Store had the same phone model in stock, so I went there after canceling the item and got it at Apple on the Next program. No more waiting at least on the phone. If I don't hear anything soon on the iPad, may just cancel it altogether and wait until after Christmas.

EDIT: 11/05/14 21:20 Just received email from AT&T stating that my iPad shipped and they provided a tracking number. The wait is almost over, should receive it by Monday according to the tracking information.

Awesome!! Hopefully this is a sign that AT&T is finally getting the ball rolling and shipping them out!

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010

I hate you right now. :(

EDIT: Holy crap, my 64GB Space Grey Air 2 shipped!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Waiting for the stores to get stock.

I have $400 promo cards to spend. ;)

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
I was going to cancel my order (Space Gray 64GB) today when I got home, but when I checked my email at lunch time, I got the noticed that it shipped and I would get it tomorrow. Purchased on the Next Plan.
Original shipping date was 11/03 - 11/07.

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
I hate you right now. :(

EDIT: Holy crap, my 64GB Space Grey Air 2 shipped!

Just got an email from AT&T pushing my ship date to Nov 16th due to demand that they are unable to fill...Never again will I order from AT&T...this has been a horrible experience from them. Why have pre-orders if you are not going to be able to fulfill them despite other Merchants having adequate supply...really pathetic on AT&T's part...

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Just got an email from AT&T pushing my ship date to Nov 16th due to demand that they are unable to fill...Never again will I order from AT&T...this has been a horrible experience from them. Why have pre-orders if you are not going to be able to fulfill them despite other Merchants having adequate supply...really pathetic on AT&T's part...

I was surprised mine shipped. It'll be at the store Saturday the 8th. It was shipped USPS for whatever reason. Sorry for the crappy experience, brother... can't say mine has been good either, but I just will never order from AT&T again after this mess.

KYtechmike

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
I'm glad you guys are having better luck than me.

I preordered on the 17th withing a couple hours of being able to. The first Shipping date was 11/3-11/7. I got this email last night -

We appreciate your purchase of the iPad Air 2. Because the color and memory size of the iPad Air 2 you purchased is very popular we have not received the supply needed to fill your order. As a result, your device will now be shipped between November 13, 2014 – November 16, 2014. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please know your order is a high priority.

I preordered on the Next plan because I had such good luck preordering my iPhone5 with AT&T. Between the delay for my Wife's 6+ and My 128G Space Gray Air 2, I'll buy direct from Apple ion the future.

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
I'm glad you guys are having better luck than me.

I preordered on the 17th withing a couple hours of being able to. The first Shipping date was 11/3-11/7. I got this email last night -

We appreciate your purchase of the iPad Air 2. Because the color and memory size of the iPad Air 2 you purchased is very popular we have not received the supply needed to fill your order. As a result, your device will now be shipped between November 13, 2014 – November 16, 2014. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please know your order is a high priority.

I preordered on the Next plan because I had such good luck preordering my iPhone5 with AT&T. Between the delay for my Wife's 6+ and My 128G Space Gray Air 2, I'll buy direct from Apple ion the future.

ATT's preorder issues this year have been out of control. I, too, ordered the 5 and 5s in previous years with no issues whatsoever and delivery on release day. This year I had to cancel both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 orders when it became apparent ATT had no intention (or at least the wherewithal) to honor its own shipping estimates. In both instances I was able to walk into an ATT store and purchase the devices literally within hours of canceling my preorders. Something went very wrong with their preorder system this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.