Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Personally I think the new iMac does a pretty good job of solidifying where Apple sees the Mac going.

For the typical consumer, the iMac is a really solid product. I have no doubt that it'll sell well and honestly I'd even go so far as to recommend it to people I know.

But personally? I wouldn't buy one. If anything it's helped validate my decision to switch back to PCs.
Interesting comment @JoelTheSuperior. Where do you think "Apple sees the Mac going" - as a consumer device? Also, the PC validation - is this due to the non-upgradability etc?

Genuinely interested as I'm finding myself at a real Mac/PC crossroads at the moment.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Easy different strokes for different folks

On the mac There's a handful of utilities to replace the Finder, on Windows there's even more, so clearly not everyone is in love with the file explorer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Same really, I just use the OS default file browser for as they are generally good enough with both having positives & negatives. Ideally I'd like native dual pane, that said I've been using both Finder & File Explorer for decades.

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Interesting comment @JoelTheSuperior. Where do you think "Apple sees the Mac going" - as a consumer device? Also, the PC validation - is this due to the non-upgradability etc?

Genuinely interested as I'm finding myself at a real Mac/PC crossroads at the moment.
My 2 Cents; Apple is firmly in the consumer market and want's to build dependency between devices solidifying the ecosystem with services and customer lock-in.

Apple also has a small, yet very vocal professional audience that it simply cant ignore. As the sector frequently brings the most positive endorsement or equally the most scathing comment/review when Apple sells short. I do believe that Apple is now listening to that same audience, but lets be straight Apple's money is consumer based by a wide margin...

Q-6

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
My 2 Cents; Apple is firmly in the consumer market and want's to build dependency between devices solidifying the ecosystem with services and customer lock-in.
This, if you can't break into the business/corporate sector in a big enough way, which Apple simply can't then you play to your strength which is the average consumer.

The ecosystem works for the general consumer, they are happy enough to be locked in with Apple as they give them everything they need, it's not a 'walled garden' to the average consumer it is a benefit. To be fair I rely on iPhone, Watch, Air Pods Pro and iPad (And Airtags from tomorrow). They interconnect too well for me to waste time elsewhere.

Whilst I enjoy tech and like to explore, when it comes to getting my job done, I don't want my tech to do anything but perform the task, perform it well, and not put obstacles in the way. Aside from recent hardware issues, Apple does that really well.

Queen6

macrumors G4
This, if you can't break into the business/corporate sector in a big enough way, which Apple simply can't then you play to your strength which is the average consumer.

The ecosystem works for the general consumer, they are happy enough to be locked in with Apple as they give them everything they need, it's not a 'walled garden' to the average consumer it is a benefit. To be fair I rely on iPhone, Watch, Air Pods Pro and iPad (And Airtags from tomorrow). They interconnect too well for me to waste time elsewhere.

Whilst I enjoy tech and like to explore, when it comes to getting my job done, I don't want my tech to do anything but perform the task, perform it well, and not put obstacles in the way. Aside from recent hardware issues, Apple does that really well.
Old school here just "OS X" is all I need, not against the rest by any means. Same thoughts, although I far prefer to control of my devices. Admittedly near moot as all now play the same game...

Q-6

Reactions: LeeW

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I find this new iMac confusing.

It seems to be replacing the iMac 21...but I've also always wondered how well that particular model sold to begin with?

Anyhow - not for me.
I'd get an M1 Air and an external display instead.

This iMac is really just a laptop that's permanently attached to a screen.
Not what I look for in a desktop computer at all.

Queen6

macrumors G4

It seems to be replacing the iMac 21...but I've also always wondered how well that particular model sold to begin with?

Anyhow - not for me.

If the base iMac didn't sell Apple would have discontinued it, they didn't for good reason...$$$$

Q-6

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Personally I think the new iMac does a pretty good job of solidifying where Apple sees the Mac going.

For the typical consumer, the iMac is a really solid product. I have no doubt that it'll sell well and honestly I'd even go so far as to recommend it to people I know.

But personally? I wouldn't buy one. If anything it's helped validate my decision to switch back to PCs.
I would wait till Apple releases their REAL iMac. The 21" iMac was never a powerhouse, that always belonged to the 27" iMac. I want to see how Apple tackles the i9 5700XT 16GB and 128GB iMac.

The machine that will replace the current high-end iMac is the REAL iMac. The 24" iMac is just a consumer product and looks like one too.

I also expect the high-end i5 Mac mini to come with a SoC better than M1. Why do I think that? Well Apple themselves said their will be "Family of Mac SoCs".

Ming Chi Kuo always said the 24" iMac was coming in Q4 of 2020, it was supposed to arrive in November but got delayed due to production issues.

One more thing I noticed is that all the consumer Macs have got M1: The base MBP(2 port TB model), MBA, Mac Mini and iMac 24".

What's left are the 14" MBP, 16" MBP and 30"-32" iMac. These Macs were always got better silicon. So I will reserve my judgement till those are updated with Apple Sillicon.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015

Anyhow - not for me.

Tbf, you can’t buy an external screen like that ?

but yeah, I would probably buy a MacBook Air, too. Looks like Macs will be a lot like iPhones/iPads in the future. All fast and the price depends on other features like screens, storage ram etc

Queen6

macrumors G4
I would wait till Apple releases their REAL iMac. The 21" iMac was never a powerhouse, that always belonged to the 27" iMac. I want to see how Apple tackles the i9 5700XT 16GB and 128GB iMac.

The machine that will replace the current high-end iMac is the REAL iMac. The 24" iMac is just a consumer product and looks like one too.

I also expect the high-end i5 Mac mini to come with a SoC better than M1. Why do I think that? Well Apple themselves said their will be "Family of Mac SoCs".

Ming Chi Kuo always said the 24" iMac was coming in Q4 of 2020, it was supposed to arrive in November but got delayed due to production issues.

One more thing I noticed is that all the consumer Macs have got M1: The base MBP(2 port TB model), MBA, Mac Mini and iMac 24".

What's left are the 14" MBP, 16" MBP and 30"-32" iMac. These Macs were always got better silicon. So I will reserve my judgement till those are updated with Apple Sillicon.
Apple is a provider of consumer goods, that's where it's REAL money came from, time to wake up. 16" MBP & larger iMac's will be exactly the same as they always have been, faster with a better port selection or maybe they will be running REAL macOS LOL...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The vast majority of Apple's customer base today arrived at or after the iPhone was born. They are different customers to the ones that existed up to that point. Whilst it is great to reminisce about the 'days of old' and what Macs used to be like, that is gone now. As @Queen6 suggests, time to wake up. Apple is moving in the direction of the general consumer, not the pro, nor the enthusiast.

Queen6

macrumors G4
The vast majority of Apple's customer base today arrived at or after the iPhone was born. They are different customers to the ones that existed up to that point. Whilst it is great to reminisce about the 'days of old' and what Macs used to be like, that is gone now. As @Queen6 suggests, time to wake up. Apple is moving in the direction of the general consumer, not the pro, nor the enthusiast.
M1 is consumer focused yet easily surpasses this Hex Core Asus notebook (3rd/4th fastest globally, as is likely a binned down CPU). The M1 was an instant buy for me as the M1 MBP now presents i9 performance on macOS without all the heating, throttling & noise issues in a tried and proven 13" chassis.

Mac's can be utilised in a professional realm, equally it's getting harder year on year as we are very far from Apple's target audience. Apple fully understands it's limited Pro users as they remain a mechanism for validation for the masses of which Apple would likely want to remove. Sometimes thinking different truly pays off. No illusions here, equally M1 as a tool is a very sharp one...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJUAE and LeeW

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
As @Queen6 suggests, time to wake up. Apple is moving in the direction of the general consumer, not the pro, nor the enthusiast.
and their loyal consumers who buy, or purchased a m1 Macooks this year.
what else would compliment a 265GB M1 laptop than a nice 1TB/16GB silver or space gray IMac?
then release the over-grown lollipop ipads

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
and their loyal consumers who buy, or purchased a m1 Macooks this year.
what else would compliment a 265GB M1 laptop than a nice 1TB/16GB silver or space gray IMac?
then release the over-grown lollipop ipads
I like Apple's design language, I like Nix, the rest Apple can keep for all I care. I far prefer open source SW and it works on the M1. iMac is most certainly not of any interest to me.

Q-6

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
I believe I already mentioned this samething somewhere in this thread.. but...

I don't see me quiting windows in foreseeable future.
Why use one if I can use both?

M1 is great that it provides a true mac os experience with crazy amount of running time.
Windows is downright versatile in whatever you throw at it. Apple has been far from providing such stability in their platform, and hopefully going Arm and designing their own chips finally stabilize their platform (no more architecture change that kind of stuff).

Reactions: Queen6 and LeeW

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
First time Mac user (at the age of 72) all because of the M1. So far,
not disappointed.
Hopefully, my 76 year old friend will become a first time Mac user soon enough and it will be great if he likes it after Windows. I've been persuading him a lot, so far was able to replace his iphone 6s with SE2. Right now deciding between an Air or Mini.

Reactions: hodad66

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
When you start making your desktop in 7 different colours be under no illusion who the targeted audience is :D

What's in the box for most is irrelevant, they just have red,blue .......... etc Apple thingie
That’s a take I don’t understand. Computers are a central part of our lifes, I actually enjoy a nice looking one.

And while I like the build quality of my ThinkPad, it’s an ugly brick of a laptop.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I don't see me quiting windows in foreseeable future.
Why use one if I can use both?
that is not how the world spins, son.
people can't like or use both products that are entangled in a deeply hated conflict.
you must decide if Bill Gates or Tim Cook is your supreme leader
and grovel toward their existence by denouncing the other's platform and new products religiously.
think of the data starving suffering beings dwelling in under-developed worlds
who cannot be engaged in such conflict and are forced to use such privative devices for their survival without any freedom or the experienced of computing in a walled garden.

you have until 5PM your time today to bend the knee to either platform,
and ditch the other company's platform altogether.

obey this!

sincerely yours,

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When you start making your desktop in 7 different colours be under no illusion who the targeted audience is :D
The consumer, simple

Remember the wildly successful iMacs that Steve Job introduced or the marketing that Apple did, poking fun of ""beige" computers.

Just like colored iPhones, this is a move long over due and I'm really happy with their move. I think this is an excellent idea

Reactions: grmlin and hodad66

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
The consumer, simple

Remember the wildly successful iMacs that Steve Job introduced or the marketing that Apple did, poking fun of ""beige" computers.

Just like colored iPhones, this is a move long over due and I'm really happy with their move. I think this is an excellent idea
I just don’t understand why a “professional” user wouldn’t enjoy a nice looking machine ?? It’s a win win to make your devices nice to look at

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.