Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Like many here, I am getting ready to upgrade when the new iPhones 14 come out.

For the past two years, I have alternated upgrades between eligible lines on my plan.

Essentially, I have made down payments at the time of purchase, that, when combined with the monthly credits that ATT offers, keep my monthly bill the same each time.

Previously, it did not seem to matter what device that I traded in with ATT; meaning I could trade a device that still had payments remaining on the device while upgrading another line.

But when I went on ATTs site to “practice” upgrading, I see new language that the device credits currently being offered are “not an early upgrade program,” and if I trade in a device that still has payments on it, I will first be required to pay off the device.

Scenario:
Line 1 - iPhone 13 Pro Max (owe $700 or so that will be issued as account credits over the next 24 months)
Line 2 - iPhone 12 Pro (owe $200 or so that will be issued as account credits over the next 9 or so months)
Line 3 - iPhone SE (1st gen) with no current installment plan.

Question: can I upgrade line 3 to a new iPhone 14, trade in the iPhone 12 (to get max account installment credits), then swap SIM cards around so that the iPhone 14 is on line 1, the iPhone 13 Pro Max is on line 2, and the iPhone SE remains on line 3?

Basically, I’m fine to stay with ATT indefinitely, I just want to get the best deal.

Reactions: Mary Achi

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Not it hasn't changed. You got in the promotion that they have been doing for the last 2 years. Trade in a device and get monthly credits but here is the catch...30 months min. If you don't stay with us for 30 months you lose credits and have to pay full price. That's the catch. I have this on one of my lines with at&t but that's my moms line. She doesn't care to get a new iPhone every year. I upgrade her every 3 years. So this deal was good for me. Now for me...I only use apple upgrade program. I don't deal with carrier promotions.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Only way to upgrade early is with Next Up added. Like extra $5 month and need to pay half of device. Will need to pay off the ip12. Carrier deals are getting less and less good for consumers. Like raising to 30/36 months credits knowing most will not keep that long.

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
Like many here, I am getting ready to upgrade when the new iPhones 14 come out.

For the past two years, I have alternated upgrades between eligible lines on my plan.

Essentially, I have made down payments at the time of purchase, that, when combined with the monthly credits that ATT offers, keep my monthly bill the same each time.

Previously, it did not seem to matter what device that I traded in with ATT; meaning I could trade a device that still had payments remaining on the device while upgrading another line.

But when I went on ATTs site to “practice” upgrading, I see new language that the device credits currently being offered are “not an early upgrade program,” and if I trade in a device that still has payments on it, I will first be required to pay off the device.

Scenario:
Line 1 - iPhone 13 Pro Max (owe $700 or so that will be issued as account credits over the next 24 months)
Line 2 - iPhone 12 Pro (owe $200 or so that will be issued as account credits over the next 9 or so months)
Line 3 - iPhone SE (1st gen) with no current installment plan.

Question: can I upgrade line 3 to a new iPhone 14, trade in the iPhone 12 (to get max account installment credits), then swap SIM cards around so that the iPhone 14 is on line 1, the iPhone 13 Pro Max is on line 2, and the iPhone SE remains on line 3?

Basically, I’m fine to stay with ATT indefinitely, I just want to get the best deal.
I have been with ATT for years, and policy hasn't changed - to upgrade early you need to pay off remaining balance. The use the credits in replacement of having contracts like in the past. Last year got my wife a 13 Pro Max, traded in her XS Max and got a $1000 credit - none of the Apple upgrade promotions come close to that.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I have been with ATT for years, and policy hasn't changed - to upgrade early you need to pay off remaining balance. The use the credits in replacement of having contracts like in the past. Last year got my wife a 13 Pro Max, traded in her XS Max and got a $1000 credit - none of the Apple upgrade promotions come close to that.
You got a good deal but right now only offering $700. Don’t think will see that good of offer this year. If they pay off device for $200 then effectively getting $500 over 36 months. Not a good deal.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
To my understanding this is attached to a 30 months agreement. If you want leave early sure you can but you lose credits therefore you didn't get anything. Full price of the phone thereafter.

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
To my understanding this is attached to a 30 months agreement. If you want leave early sure you can but you lose credits therefore you didn't get anything. Full price of the phone thereafter.
That's true, if you left ATT you would be responsible for the cost of the credits you received. As long as you stay with ATT, phone is just about free. With nine lines on my ATT contract a competitive offer from another carrier would have to be pretty compelling for me to consider moving.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I've also been with ATT for the last decade plus. I guess I've never had multiple lines on installment plans like I do currently, and I want to maximize the device credits as much as I can. If ATT is willing to credit me for 36 months, then I have no problem staying with them.

I had thought last year, I read about ATT users trading in devices that were still on installment agreements on one line and still receiving credits for that line, because they had officially upgraded another eligible line on their account. I'm not sure I can do that this year. And, if they are only offering $700, then that isn't as great as the $1000 they offered last year.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I'm on at&t too. Been with them for 10 years. In Miami at&t is king. I still get my iphones via apple upgrade program though. Did NEXT a couple of years before AUP was introduced.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I'm on at&t too. Been with them for 10 years. In Miami at&t is king. I still get my iphones via apple upgrade program though. Did NEXT a couple of years before AUP was introduced.
I may have to switch to the apple upgrade program, though that is a bummer as I cycle my old devices to my wife and I get the new device each year.

On the ATT website, it's this sentence that makes me worry:

"Trade-in device may not be on existing installment plan and trade-in does not relieve obligations under any AT&T installment agreement program or other AT&T Return and Exchange programs."

I'm worried they will see that the device I'm trading in is on an existing installment plan on another line.

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
With the economic headwinds that are approaching and at&t losing ground to other carriers, I belive we will see at least $800 off with trade in.

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
I may have to switch to the apple upgrade program, though that is a bummer as I cycle my old devices to my wife and I get the new device each year.

"Trade-in device may not be on existing installment plan and trade-in does not relieve obligations under any AT&T installment agreement program or other AT&T Return and Exchange programs."

I'm worried they will see that the device I'm trading in is on an existing installment plan on another line.
Right it can't be on a current plan, you have to pay off the device before upgrading and trading in.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
And if you pay it off before the 30th months you lose the credit you got for the trade in. In other words yeah sure they give you close to 1k off the phone but you must remain with them for 30 months. This is great for those who stay with a phone 3 years easily like my mom. Not great for 1-2 years upgrades. That’s why AUP works the best for me.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Not it hasn't changed. You got in the promotion that they have been doing for the last 2 years. Trade in a device and get monthly credits but here is the catch...30 months min. If you don't stay with us for 30 months you lose credits and have to pay full price. That's the catch. I have this on one of my lines with at&t but that's my moms line. She doesn't care to get a new iPhone every year. I upgrade her every 3 years. So this deal was good for me. Now for me...I only use apple upgrade program. I don't deal with carrier promotions.

Only way to upgrade early is with Next Up added. Like extra $5 month and need to pay half of device. Will need to pay off the ip12. Carrier deals are getting less and less good for consumers. Like raising to 30/36 months credits knowing most will not keep that long.

And if you pay it off before the 30th months you lose the credit you got for the trade in. In other words yeah sure they give you close to 1k off the phone but you must remain with them for 30 months. This is great for those who stay with a phone 3 years easily like my mom. Not great for 1-2 years upgrades. That’s why AUP works the best for me.
The AT&T promos are now for 36 months of bill credits, up from 30.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305

Even worst. Last iPhone I got my mom was iPhone 12. Basically free after trade in credits. Got with 30 months. That’s almost done with. Got 5-6 months or so left. Then get her a 14 trade in 12 for basically free phone. I pay for my moms cell bill and iPhones. She doesn’t even care to get a new one every 30-36 months.

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
I think there's some confusion here. Let me give you my situation. Got a 12 Pro during launch week in 2020, traded in my iPhone X and received $900 in bill credits - spread out over 30 months.Current balance on installment plan is @ $200. If I pay off balance prior to iPhone 14 launch I am eligible to upgrade and then can trade in my 12 for a similar credit.

If I decided to leave ATT I would still be liable for the $200 balance. Make sense? Sounded like in earlier posts that unless you maintin the plan for the fill 30 months, you would retroactively lose all previous credits. Not the case.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I think there's some confusion here. Let me give you my situation. Got a 12 Pro during launch week in 2020, traded in my iPhone X and received $900 in bill credits - spread out over 30 months.Current balance on installment plan is @ $200. If I pay off balance prior to iPhone 14 launch I am eligible to upgrade and then can trade in my 12 for a similar credit.

If I decided to leave ATT I would still be liable for the $200 balance. Make sense? Sounded like in earlier posts that unless you maintin the plan for the fill 30 months, you would retroactively lose all previous credits. Not the case.
You need to pay the $200 if you trade-in, or if you leave.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I think what I am leaning toward, since I have both an iPhone 12 Pro and an iPhone 13 Pro Max which are both still on installment agreements with ATT, is that I will just trade-in with Apple this year and bypass ATT all together. I should be able to trade in the iPhone 12 Pro to Apple that still has installment agreements, and then I'll still be able to continue to get that account credits for the full 36 months on that line.

When the unlocked 14 arrives, I'll just SIM swap or transfer eSIMs so that I have the 14 on the line that I want.

Reactions: Wags and wickedrm

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I think what I am leaning toward, since I have both an iPhone 12 Pro and an iPhone 13 Pro Max which are both still on installment agreements with ATT, is that I will just trade-in with Apple this year and bypass ATT all together. I should be able to trade in the iPhone 12 Pro to Apple that still has installment agreements, and then I'll still be able to continue to get that account credits for the full 36 months on that line.

When the unlocked 14 arrives, I'll just SIM swap or transfer eSIMs so that I have the 14 on the line that I want.
Exactly. That's another perk of buying iPhone from apple. They come unlocked.

wickedrm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2021

Many people here have traded in a device currently on AT&T installments to Apple. You’ll still be paying for the installments, but you’ll also get the associated credits from AT&T.

Reactions: Wags

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Dumb question but I'm new to this. I just paid off my AT&T iPhone 12 Pro Max and will trade it in for a discount on the iPhone 14 Pro Max. Its in pristine condition so I should get a decent discount on the 14.

I want to buy from Apple this time via my Apple card because I can make extra payments and pay off the new phone by Sept 2023 (I want to get the iPhone 15 next year). I like this better than the Apple yearly update plan (more flexible payments for me).

When I get the new iPhone 14 Pro Max will it be unlocked if I choose the AT&T one? Or do I buy the one with no carrier? I plan to stay with AT&T but may switch early next year so would prefer an unlocked phone.

Just need some info as I haven't gone the Apple purchase route before.

Azimao

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
If you buy from Apple directly, might as well get the unlocked phone as carrier always lock their phone for at least 3 months after you activated it, some require you to call in to unlock afterwards, some auto-unlock after 3 months...

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Thanks for that info! So if I buy the non-carrier associated phone I just call AT&T when I get it to activate correct?

But it still will remain unlocked?

Azimao

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Correct. unlocked phone means you can plug in any carrier's sim card and it'll work right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.