Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
FA32329E-659E-4091-9C8B-3975FDA74A57.jpeg
Just wanted to report back on this; I was able to trade-in the iPhone 12 Pro from one line of service, even though that device was/is on an active installment plan, to receive $1000 in bill credits toward the iPhone 14 Pro Max on another line of service. My billing cycle from ATT has also turned over, showing the new installment plan for the iPhone 14 Pro Max as well as the continuing installment plan/device credits for the iPhone 12 Pro, which is now traded-in.

Also- no issues with activating eSIM or working thru all that.

Reactions: jk73

wickedrm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2021
View attachment 2078096 Just wanted to report back on this; I was able to trade-in the iPhone 12 Pro from one line of service, even though that device was/is on an active installment plan, to receive $1000 in bill credits toward the iPhone 14 Pro Max on another line of service. My billing cycle from ATT has also turned over, showing the new installment plan for the iPhone 14 Pro Max as well as the continuing installment plan/device credits for the iPhone 12 Pro, which is now traded-in.

What phone are you putting on the iPhone 12s line?

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
What phone are you putting on the iPhone 12s line?
The line with an old 1st-gen iPhone SE was used to upgrade to the iPhone 14 Pro Max. The 14 Pro Max is actually being used on a line that had a financed (with device credits) iPhone 13 Pro Max. The iPhone 13 Pro Max went to the line that had a financed (with device credits) iPhone 12 Pro that was traded in to Apple. Leaving the old 1st-gen iPhone SE to go back to the line used to upgrade.

Hope that makes sense.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
View attachment 2078096 Just wanted to report back on this; I was able to trade-in the iPhone 12 Pro from one line of service, even though that device was/is on an active installment plan, to receive $1000 in bill credits toward the iPhone 14 Pro Max on another line of service. My billing cycle from ATT has also turned over, showing the new installment plan for the iPhone 14 Pro Max as well as the continuing installment plan/device credits for the iPhone 12 Pro, which is now traded-in.

Hope works out. The credits can take 1 or 2 cycles to complete.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I think there's some confusion here. Let me give you my situation. Got a 12 Pro during launch week in 2020, traded in my iPhone X and received $900 in bill credits - spread out over 30 months.Current balance on installment plan is @ $200. If I pay off balance prior to iPhone 14 launch I am eligible to upgrade and then can trade in my 12 for a similar credit.

If I decided to leave ATT I would still be liable for the $200 balance. Make sense? Sounded like in earlier posts that unless you maintin the plan for the fill 30 months, you would retroactively lose all previous credits. Not the case.
But when you pay that $200 off early you pay the entire balance. If you ride out the rest of the term, you would get monthly credits and wind up paying less than $200.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Ya. That’s how carriers save money knowing most don’t want to wait 36 months. Would be respectable if were 24 months like in past. Just getting greedy.
They should at least give a choice if you upgrade sooner. Heck even if they would only let you do 24 with next Up.

Reactions: Wags

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The market trade-in value of the phone you're trading in is irrelevant.

AT&T is saying we'll give you $1,000 in bill credits over 36 months for your trade-in, but you have to agree to finance the new phone for the same 36 months.

If at any point in the 36 months you want to upgrade the phone that is being financed, you have to pay the balance of the installment plan, but you also forfeit the remaining bill credits.

It's AT&T's way of keeping you locked in for 36 months to get the full value of the $1,000 trade-in.
Yes AT&T is more but all bill credits. VZW is $800 but you get a combo of instant and bill credits based on the device. Like last year when I traded 12PM for 13PM, it was $800 instant, but a lower device may have been $400 instant and $400 billing.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Is anyone else still waiting for their trade-in to be processed?
When I check on the Apple Store app the progress bar says it’s been received, a team will inspect it and give me an update within three business days. I think it’s been 3 business weeks!

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
Is anyone else still waiting for their trade-in to be processed?
When I check on the Apple Store app the progress bar says it’s been received, a team will inspect it and give me an update within three business days. I think it’s been 3 business weeks!
Apple trade in is not the same as ATT, Both my ATT trade ins for $1000 each have been processed.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Apple trade in is not the same as ATT, Both my ATT trade ins for $1000 each have been processed.

I did the ATT trade in for the $1000 (supposedly) but I’ve been checking the progress through the Apple Store app, which is still the only place I have any reference to this trade in even taking place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.