Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
May 26, 2016
Did anyone upgrading on the Next Up
Plan see that once you turn your device in, there’s $500 in bill credits that gets applied to your installments as a ‘thank you’?
I saw it too. Do you upgrade yearly as well?

TheMacGuy96

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2022
Austin, TX
Hi. I have an iPhone 13 pro that has an ATT next up and I opted for an early upgrade and only had to pay $65 and will turn in the 13 pro. Now I saw that I qualified for the $500 off, I upgraded to the iPhone 14 pro 512 GB, technically it’s original price is $36 monthly installment plus $6 next up, and when I checked out it was showing me that my monthly bill will be $22 installment instead plus $6 next up. My question is, do I still qualify for that $500 off credit if I upgrade earlier than 36 months or I’ll have to complete the whole 36 months and will lose the 500 credit? I always upgrade every 12 months. would I have a problem if I upgrade before 18 months since I always try to upgrade every 12 months instead? Do I just need to pay $28 x 6 (remaining months from the 18 months) = $168 to upgrade early next year (12 month period) ? I just want to make sure that if I upgrade again after 12 months they wouldn’t make me pay the whole installment balance before I can do so. The agent told me I just have to multiply my monthly installment plan to the remaining months before 18 months which for me is 6 months. I hope I’m making sense! Just want to make sure there is no hidden cost.
If you upgrade early your credits stop on that month and you'll have to take part of whatever promotion we are running at the time. You'll still get to keep the credits you previously got. But any credits after you upgrade are forfeited.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
May 26, 2016
If you upgrade early your credits stop on that month and you'll have to take part of whatever promotion we are running at the time. You'll still get to keep the credits you previously got. But any credits after you upgrade are forfeited.
But I definitely won’t have to pay the remaining installment balance right? I just want to make sure that upgrading within 12 months when I turn in my phone wouldn’t be a problem and they wouldn’t make me pay the whole installment balance left instead, because I was reading online that in order to keep the promo you have to stay in the 36 months installment plan, and once you upgrade earlier you will have to pay the remaining balance of the phone (ex $699) instead of the early upgrade fee ($170 that is for the 6 months early if I choose to do 12 months)

Last edited:

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
But I definitely won’t have to pay the remaining installment balance right? I just want to make sure that upgrading within 12 months when I turn in my phone wouldn’t be a problem and they wouldn’t make me pay the whole installment balance left instead, because I was reading online that in order to keep the promo you have to stay in the 36 months installment plan, and once you upgrade earlier you will have to pay the remaining balance of the phone (ex $699) instead of the early upgrade fee ($170 that is for the 6 months early if I choose to do 12 months)
As long as you get the next up ( which is a total rip off IMO) and pay $6 monthly, you can upgrade as long as you’ve paid off 50% of the phone (and turn it in to AT&T).

Reactions: max2

bonjourx

macrumors regular
May 26, 2016
Do you know if we’re supposed to stay for 36 months with ATT in order to not forfeit the 500 credit? I am wondering if we end up upgrading within 12 months, would we just pay the early upgrade fee or we would end up paying the whole phone’s remaining installment balance? I saw on ATT forum a lot were furious because they didn’t know that you can’t do an early upgrade and if you do so, you have to pay all the remaining balance and not just the upgrade early fee.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
May 26, 2016
As long as you get the next up ( which is a total rip off IMO) and pay $6 monthly, you can upgrade as long as you’ve paid off 50% of the phone.
But what if it’s not 50% yet but I want to upgrade already because it’s been 12 months, do I just have to pay the difference of 6 monthly payments for that? Like for my bill for example, mine is $28 including next up because they gave me the promo of $500 discount, it’s supposed to be really $36 plus the next up $6, so if I want to upgrade within 12 months, I just have to multiply my monthly installment bill which is $28 by 6 (early month upgrade) correct? I just got concerned because a lot of people from ATT forum got furious because they couldn’t upgrade early not realizing it was in the fine print of the promo and they were told to pay off the whole remaining installment balance

TheMacGuy96

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2022
Austin, TX
The only time you won't be responsible for the remaining balance and you upgrade is if you have Next Up and you trade in your phone during the Upgrade in good working condition.

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
But what if it’s not 50% yet but I want to upgrade already because it’s been 12 months, do I just have to pay the difference of 6 monthly payments for that? Like for my bill for example, mine is $28 including next up because they gave me the promo of $500 discount, it’s supposed to be really $36 plus the next up $6, so if I want to upgrade within 12 months, I just have to multiply my monthly installment bill which is $28 by 6 (early month upgrade) correct? I just got concerned because a lot of people from ATT forum got furious because they couldn’t upgrade early not realizing it was in the fine print of the promo and they were told to pay off the whole remaining installment balance
Yes you would have to pay the difference that would get you to 50%. If you had bill credits, those would not apply as you are essentially paying 6 months upfront to get to 50%.

All the issues and confusion started when AT&T moved to 36 month installments from the old 24 month ones. Your monthly payments are lower but there is ALWAYS a balance due of over $200 due at the 12 month mark unless you make additional installment payments monthly (not sure if that is even possible). Next Every Year was great. I hate Next Up.

Reactions: max2

bonjourx

macrumors regular
May 26, 2016
Yes you would have to pay the difference that would get you to 50%. If you had bill credits, those would not apply as you are essentially paying 6 months upfront to get to 50%.

All the issues and confusion started when AT&T moved to 36 month installments from the old 24 month ones. Your monthly payments are lower but there is ALWAYS a balance due of over $200 due at the 12 month mark unless you make additional installment payments monthly (not sure if that is even possible). Next Every Year was great. I hate Next Up.
So then what’s the difference between ordering an ATT phone through the apple store vs ATT store? From what I’m seeing that $500 credit isn’t showing on the apple store, but they have the same pricing monthly if you go for an ATT phone. It’s showing on apple store as ATT $36 / monthly too and $36 too on ATT site.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Well, I did what I planned to do during preorders today.

Line A - iPhone SE; upgrade eligible, no installments owed
Line B - iPhone 12 Pro with $230 owed, which will be credited over the next 8 installments
Line C - iPhone 13 Pro Max; got the $1000 in credits promo from ATT last year, roughly 1/3 the way thru that agreement.

This morning, I upgraded line A to a new iPhone 14 Pro Max. I’m trading in the iPhone 12 from line B. Will then put the iPhone 13 Pro Max on Line B. Will turn on/activate line A with the new iPhone 14 Pro Max when I get it, then quickly move it to line C. I’ll then put the iPhone SE back on line A, and trade in the iPhone 12 Pro.

This should allow me to get all 8 remaining installment credits from line B, the 24 or so installment credits from line C, and also get the $1000 in credits over the next 3 years on line A.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I upgrade my wife’s iPhone 12 pro last night and did the trade in offer. While checking out it gave me a warning to make sure my current unlimited plan was eligible or else I won’t get the credit. When I looked at the pro terms it just mentioned some retired unlimited plans are eligible. I have the retired Unlimited Elite, anyone know if this plan is eligible for the promotion? I just want to make sure I will get the credit or else I will just cancel the order.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I upgrade my wife’s iPhone 12 pro last night and did the trade in offer. While checking out it gave me a warning to make sure my current unlimited plan was eligible or else I won’t get the credit. When I looked at the pro terms it just mentioned some retired unlimited plans are eligible. I have the retired Unlimited Elite, anyone know if this plan is eligible for the promotion? I just want to make sure I will get the credit or else I will just cancel the order.
When I was preordering this morning, if I recall correctly, I got some kind of screen or onscreen message that confirmed that my current plan was eligible for the special trade-in credits. I did the preorder via the Apple Store app on my phone.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
When I was preordering this morning, if I recall correctly, I got some kind of screen or onscreen message that confirmed that my current plan was eligible for the special trade-in credits. I did the preorder via the Apple Store app on my phone.

I should have done that instead. I ordered through AT&T website. I got no indicator that my plan was eligible but it proceeded with the monthly discounts as if it was but I would like to confirm lol.

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
So then what’s the difference between ordering an ATT phone through the apple store vs ATT store? From what I’m seeing that $500 credit isn’t showing on the apple store, but they have the same pricing monthly if you go for an ATT phone. It’s showing on apple store as ATT $36 / monthly too and $36 too on ATT site.
I always do my preorders thru apple - today included- and the $500 does show up, but too have to get through the carrier check screen, upgrade verification etc, then there’s a page that tells you about it.

Reactions: evorc

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
What existing unlimited plan do you have btw?

bonjourx

macrumors regular
May 26, 2016
I always do my preorders thru apple - today included- and the $500 does show up, but too have to get through the carrier check screen, upgrade verification etc, then there’s a page that tells you about it.
I did that, did the social security confirmation right and the phone number right? Then it ask you if you want an optional sown payment and it shows how long before you can upgrade? After that it just kinda shows me the white page with the agreement and all left is to check out. Did you perhaps press that you read trading in a device or not? Because I don’t press I’m trading in since I thought this isn’t fully paid yet and I automatically have to turn this in.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
What existing unlimited plan do you have btw?
Line A: Unlimited starter
Line B: Unlimited extra
Line C: Unlimited elite

I think all that matters is that it’s one of their “unlimited” plans. Wife is a teacher so we get 25%off each plan each month.

Reactions: evorc

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Line A: Unlimited starter
Line B: Unlimited extra
Line C: Unlimited elite

I think all that matters is that it’s one of their “unlimited” plans. Wife is a teacher so we get 25%off each plan each month.
Thanks I have Elite, looks like it’s eligible.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
It looks like apple is sending me a trade-in box. Are we able to trade in the phone in an AT&T store in-person? Or an Apple Store? If so, do they inspect and pass/fail it on the spot?

I would rather do an in person trade in, if that’s an option. More peace of mind.

Reactions: jk73

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Well, I did what I planned to do during preorders today.

Line A - iPhone SE; upgrade eligible, no installments owed
Line B - iPhone 12 Pro with $230 owed, which will be credited over the next 8 installments
Line C - iPhone 13 Pro Max; got the $1000 in credits promo from ATT last year, roughly 1/3 the way thru that agreement.

This morning, I upgraded line A to a new iPhone 14 Pro Max. I’m trading in the iPhone 12 from line B. Will then put the iPhone 13 Pro Max on Line B. Will turn on/activate line A with the new iPhone 14 Pro Max when I get it, then quickly move it to line C. I’ll then put the iPhone SE back on line A, and trade in the iPhone 12 Pro.

This should allow me to get all 8 remaining installment credits from line B, the 24 or so installment credits from line C, and also get the $1000 in credits over the next 3 years on line A.
the only problem might be the esim on the iphone 14....transferring it.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
May 26, 2016
Anyone knows if unlimited starter plan is included for the existing customer with next up promotion? I’m thinking of switching my plan from unlimited extra to unlimited starter. I saw that it has to be a minimum of unlimited monthly plan $75 for new members but wasn’t clear if old member as well.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
What makes you think? From what I understand eSIMs can be moved around on devices just like physical SIMs can.

Am I wrong?

No. And AT&T apparently just upgraded self-serve eSIM options in recent days, almost undoubtedly because of the iPhone 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.