Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomlapop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
So I walk into an Apple Store last week, asking how much they would charge to upgrade my 256GB stock SSD to a 1TB on my NOS 15" 2015 MBP. The guy tells me they don't do that and that I'd have to take it to an authorized Apple Service place, or look on Amazon and hope to find a lucky deal on a Samsung like the ones Apple uses (which run on average $700-900).

Then, seeing the slight despair on my face he mentions this brand, "HAT", saying to simply type it in Ebay as I won't find it anywhere else. Tells me they are great but nothing more, obviously not supposed to be boasting about another SSD brand, in the Apple Store he's working at, and while on the clock, no less, ha!

https://www.ebay.com/str/HatSSD/

Oddly, there is ZERO info about this company when doing a simple Google search, but they are real, they do exist, operate out of Alabama, but that's all I can find. The reviews from eBay buyers are rather positive, and at $350 for a 1TB PciE SSD for a Macbook Pro, with NO adapter needed and loaded with the OS, it's too hard not to investigate a little more.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one, but has anyone ever heard of this brand, or perhaps even use one?

Reactions: blake2

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I'm also tempted to get a 250GB SSD for my wife's Macbook Air 2015 and would like to get reliable reviews.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm not suggesting the owc as a drive to purchase, I just wanted to highlight the difference in appearance between the owc which looks like an apple SSD and the HAT which looks like a nvme drive inserted into an adapter.

With a 2015 MacBook, sleep shouldn't be an issue with a third party nvme and sintech adapter. Sleep/hibernation affects 2013 and 2014 models that are not running a modified bootrom with a third party nvme.

I have an Intel 600p with the green sintech adapter in an early 2015 13" Air.

Reactions: brdeveloper

iPhonagain

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Indy
Yes, the HAT is a company from Alabama that is marketing affordable SSD drives for MacBooks. There is information about them in another forum post, I think its usually near the top of this forum about putting SSD in 2012-2014 MacBook. But they are a legit company from what I've read. Not sure if they are indeed the best price though.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
From the picture, it looks like the drive has been attached to an adapter to work in a MacBook: http://eshop.sintech.cn/mobile/ui/product.php?id=1215&s=3084108388140

The owc drive doesn't appear to be using an adapter: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/S3DAPB4MB02/

Decided buying the sintech adapter that you've pointed. I've found that adapter on Amazon and Ebay, but directly form Sintech it's way more affordable for shipping to Brazil.
[doublepost=1542079951][/doublepost]
Yes, the HAT is a company from Alabama that is marketing affordable SSD drives for MacBooks. There is information about them in another forum post, I think its usually near the top of this forum about putting SSD in 2012-2014 MacBook. But they are a legit company from what I've read. Not sure if they are indeed the best price though.

Good to know... it will be my second try if I won't get good results with the adapter+NVME SSD approach.

boomlapop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Yes, the HAT is a company from Alabama that is marketing affordable SSD drives for MacBooks. There is information about them in another forum post, I think its usually near the top of this forum about putting SSD in 2012-2014 MacBook. But they are a legit company from what I've read.

Turns out HAT is the online distributor for the company "Fledging".
I've been in touch with them and they've been professionally responsive.
He also confirmed that the sleep issue, while minor, does not affect the 2015 Macbook Pro.
There is also no overheating issue as some of the OWC drives have been known to cause.

Not sure if they are indeed the best price though.

Actually, they are, and they also come pre-loaded with High-Sierra, which is a nice touch.

Alcivarus

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2018
Turns out HAT is the online distributor for the company "Fledging".
I've been in touch with them and they've been professionally responsive.
He also confirmed that the sleep issue, while minor, does not affect the 2015 Macbook Pro.
There is also no overheating issue as some of the OWC drives have been known to cause.

Actually, they are, and they also come pre-loaded with High-Sierra, which is a nice touch.
[doublepost=1542903635][/doublepost]Ebay seller for HatSSD has 100% positive feedback with over 600 sales so that looks good. I'm checking now to see if the drive is compatible with my Macbook Pro A1708 EMC3164.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
sorry to revive this dead thread, but i been meaning to upgrade my early 2015 mbp. i found samsung 512gb. and also this hatssd, is there any downside in having hatssd? like does it drain more battery?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
sorry to revive this dead thread, but i been meaning to upgrade my early 2015 mbp. i found samsung 512gb. and also this hatssd, is there any downside in having hatssd? like does it drain more battery?
Personally, I think you are better off getting a Sintech adapter and a nvme drive.

No replacement drive will give you the same battery life as an original Apple SSD.

Reactions: ilikewhey

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Personally, I think you are better off getting a Sintech adapter and a nvme drive.

No replacement drive will give you the same battery life as an original Apple SSD.
should i look for the so called apple samsung oem drives? i found a couple but they are a bit pricey

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
should i look for the so called apple samsung oem drives? i found a couple but they are a bit pricey
All Apple drives that are 256 GB and higher would be Samsung drives.

Since you have a 2015 MacBook, I recommend getting the Sintech adapter and a nvme drive. This is exactly what I did in a 2015 Air and 2017 Air. The adapter is approximately $14 USD and get an Adata sx8200pro, HP ex920, Intel 660p, or Intel 760p. Far cheaper than an OEM Apple drive.

The adapter/nvme combination will work in any MacBook Pro or Air from 2013 to 2015 but hibernation only works properly on the 2015. For the 2013 and 2014, one would have to disable hibernation mode 25.

Members have been using the Sintech/nvme combination to upgrade storage for a while: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

boomlapop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
The HAT SSD are no different than the NVMe drives + Sintech adapter combo that many have been using.
They are also NVMe drives w/built-in adapter, simply a different brand, and have found no loss in battery life.

Reactions: ilikewhey

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The HAT SSD are no different than the NVMe drives + Sintech adapter combo that many have been using.
They are also NVMe drives w/built-in adapter, simply a different brand, and have found no loss in battery life.
I have not seen any reports of nvme drives that retain the same battery life as the original Apple SSD.

Please post a link if possible as members in the nvme thread would be interested as well. Thanks.

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I have not seen any reports of nvme drives that retain the same battery life as the original Apple SSD.

Please post a link if possible as members in the nvme thread would be interested as well. Thanks.

I've tried to search the web as wide as i could before asking on macrumors, but this is a great opportunity to do so. :)

Has anyone ever confirmed this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...5-macbookpro11-4.2115147/page-2#post-26437326

I'm ok for paying double for 970 PRO if the claim about battery life is correct but it's really hard to believe in...

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've tried to search the web as wide as i could before asking on macrumors, but this is a great opportunity to do so. :)

Has anyone ever confirmed this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...5-macbookpro11-4.2115147/page-2#post-26437326

I'm ok for paying double for 970 PRO if the claim about battery life is correct but it's really hard to believe in...
There have been several posts from people who had the 970 and suffered from reduced battery life and more heat. So much so that some returned the 970 for something else.

Reactions: owbp

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
There have been several posts from people who had the 970 and suffered from reduced battery life and more heat. So much so that some returned the 970 for something else.

Agree. I've read the thread few times and that's the general conciseness, but the most members were talking about 970 EVO, not PRO, so i was still puzzled after that linked post.

Just wanting to mention that, but i'm still searching for one more similar experience and have yet to find one.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Agree. I've read the thread few times and that's the general conciseness, but the most members were talking about 970 EVO, not PRO, so i was still puzzled after that linked post.

Just wanting to mention that, but i'm still searching for one more similar experience and have yet to find one.
The speeds offered by the Pro over the Evo is something I would not notice or be able to take advantage of in my daily use. I would rather save a bit of money, give up some benchmark scores, and go for a cheaper drive.

The member is using the 970 Pro with a 2015 Macbook and many people, me included, have reported no sleep problems with a 2015 MacBook.

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Once again, i'm completely agreeing with you.
The only thing that puzzled me is user reporting that 970 PRO is giving him better battery life than original Apple SSD.
That is the one thing i'm trying to confirm or disprove by searching for a few more users of 970 PRO.
The speeds are really not my concern.
For all of my audio work i'm more than happy with even a SATA3 limitations. :)

Reactions: Audit13

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Once again, i'm completely agreeing with you.
The only thing that puzzled me is user reporting that 970 PRO is giving him better battery life than original Apple SSD.
That is the one thing i'm trying to confirm or disprove by searching for a few more users of 970 PRO.
The speeds are really not my concern.
For all of my audio work i'm more than happy with even a SATA3 limitations. :)
I would be fine with Sata3 as well because that is what I have in my windows desktop.

I don't need big storage so I put a 256 GB HP ex900 into a 2017 air I bought cheaply for parts. I got it to work and needed a replacement drive.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i don't really need speed, its a nice bonus, but idling power draw and size is my biggest concern, right now i have a samsung apple oem 512gb for 190 in my ebay shopping cart, would an intel 660p or hp nvme be just as good at idle and power draw?

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I don't need big storage so I put a 256 GB HP ex900 into a 2017 air I bought cheaply for parts
I come from 2012 Macbook Pro with 1TB SSD and 2009 Mac Pro with 5 TB that are in external enclosures right now, so it's a little tight down here. :)

That's why that post about 970 PRO's battery life got me off guard.
I mean, I'm ok with it if i get lower temps and longer battery time, but for the similar money i can buy some of the recommended SSDs at double storage size.

But maybe it's just better to learn and live with external SSDs that will forever be in my backpack. Haha...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.