Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Souphi

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2019
Turns out HAT is the online distributor for the company "Fledging".
I've been in touch with them and they've been professionally responsive.
He also confirmed that the sleep issue, while minor, does not affect the 2015 Macbook Pro.
There is also no overheating issue as some of the OWC drives have been known to cause.

Actually, they are, and they also come pre-loaded with High-Sierra, which is a nice touch.
an intel ssd 660 is much cheaper then the hatssd. cuts the price by a half. :)))))

Dkdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
Hey guys and gals, I have read on an official website (a while ago) that Samsung PRO models 2TB draw more power in idle and operational mods. Having said that, it is also rather expensive :S. I'm new to macs, I am a windows geek... so um, I need an advise, please... Has anyone actually checked the battery readings with those new SSDs, whichever you have acquired? I am a wildlife photographer and it's super important for me to have a reliable 2TB, I could be in a jungle or in a tent in blizzard, somewhere in the mountains transferring those photos; I really need a reliable solution with fast read/write (at least as fast, or preferably faster continuous r/r speads of preinstalled SSDs). With regard to drives which require converters, I have read nasty-nasty things about them, like improper fitment, overheating and catastrophic failures in some cases. Many interesting things have been already discussed here, yet I don't feel entirely confident with any card I found. thanks in advance!!
And to add some spice to the mix, I'm super broke :D
so the cheaper - the better!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys and gals, I have read on an official website (a while ago) that Samsung PRO models 2TB draw more power in idle and operational mods. Having said that, it is also rather expensive :S. I'm new to macs, I am a windows geek... so um, I need an advise, please... Has anyone actually checked the battery readings with those new SSDs, whichever you have acquired? I am a wildlife photographer and it's super important for me to have a reliable 2TB, I could be in a jungle or in a tent in blizzard, somewhere in the mountains transferring those photos; I really need a reliable solution with fast read/write (at least as fast, or preferably faster continuous r/r speads of preinstalled SSDs). With regard to drives which require converters, I have read nasty-nasty things about them, like improper fitment, overheating and catastrophic failures in some cases. Many interesting things have been already discussed here, yet I don't feel entirely confident with any card I found. thanks in advance!!
And to add some spice to the mix, I'm super broke :D
so the cheaper - the better!
Not sure where you read about these adapter failures but the sintech has been flawless for me and others.

Sounds to me liked you should stick with a real Apple SSD.

John Lin

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
no buy! I purchased one last year. It caused my MacBook crash all the time after macOS updating.

Reactions: Dkdude

Dkdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
I found a cheaper, ghetto solution to this uneasy and expensive task. I can get an external ssd, attach it to the back of the monitor with velcro or sticky rubber piece (car accessory). ofc, I'd have a wire running, but it is just so much cheaper and kinda bullet proof for my purposes. I don't care about the aestetics, althogh I'd put it onto a case, not gluing anything onto the mac itself. it actually looks quite bada*s

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Realizing this is an old thread, but was intrigued about this HAT company. How can they sell a SSD with macOS preinstalled? Is that even legal?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Here's an option I have done before:
  1. Find a used MacBook Pro, same model year, with a 1TB SSD
  2. Buy it!
  3. Then, either swap the drive with the one in your MacBook Pro, and then re-sell it. Or, just use the MacBook Pro as-is and sell your current one!

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Be careful with something like the Intel 660....it gets very slow when writing a large amount of data

Dkdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
NVMe is a nice solution, indeed. buying an old macbook with 1tb ssd as of mid 2020 is counterintuitive as it's resale value is still reasonably high. Instead, buying a completely new machine (windows) would make more sense, they're much more powerful and have dedicated graphics these days, with already 1tb hdd and 124 to 256 gb ssd for disk "C". in this case swapping the HDD to SSD makes much more sense (to me that is).

I do photo, video works, some illustrations and 3D design. Macs at this point become irrelevant for power users and professionals alike, especially those with conservative funds, and those who need every bit of processing power they could get per buck spent.

I will use external SSD with a usb 3, it gives me reasonable speeds, and I will attach it with velcro to the macbook plastic cover case. This should give me another year or two before a pressing need to chnage the machine and it's about 130-250 USD for 1 and 2 tb.

With regards to iOS being pre-installed, and how legal it is... I have no idea, they don't temper the iOS, so there shouldn't be any problems, also given how small the company is -no one would pay attention to them.

I hope someone would develop an affordable way to desolder and add more ROM and RAM to newer macs, past 2016 I believe, they are all onesie, nothing can be replaced. I guess at this point Apple can't compete with other brands for the above mentioned market nieche, they've decided to focus more on services rather than hardware...

Edit:
I still have ASUS ROG G750jx from 2013 with 36 gb RAM, 1tb HDD and 256 SSD and an old 770m Nvidia, the laptop still kicks ass in 3D renders and modeling, having base 2.4 ghz, I safely overklock to 3.4-3.8. Being so outdated it's bulcky and heavy, and this laptop outperforms my 2015 macbook pro mid spec, even the boot time is great, 5.6 seconds for a 7 year old beat-up machine isn't too bad. New asus and other gaming laptop competitors have put up a fight and dusted apple, I have mixed feelings about it. I guess switching to windows... would feel like a jump into 1900s, but the specs are too good for the price; and I could always switch to ubuntu or other distro to get a mac-feel like envoronment.

...That being said, Hatssd has outlived its relevance for my needs and my machine, unless I had the top spec with dedicated gpu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweet Pikake
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.