Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Did I really need to put a smiley face after the hot air popcorn statement???

I own one of each; what do you want to do with yours?

----------

maybe never, if you want/need a jailbroken ATV than you already answered your own question.

if the atv3 becomes jailbroken get one than if you want they still will only be 99$

I just paid $85 refurb at the Apple Store...

David2395

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2012
Where would I buy an apple tv 2nd gen? I ant find one on apples website.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I guess the ability to jailbreak adds value...

The ATV3 will be slow to jailbreak...

You never answered what you wanted to do with it that requires jailbreak, so...

GOOD LUCK!

mogwat

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Dump the ATV 3

I have a JB ATV2 and it is brilliant for playing music and movies from my 6TB windows Home server. I also bought a ATV3 when they first came out as I wanted the 1080p capability but without a Jailbreak it is next to useless to me and it's going on ebay this weekend to be replaced by a Roku or similar 1080p player. If I find I'm not using the ATV2 after that it'll be going on ebay as well. Apple make some nice products but the restrictions they place on their usage makes no sense.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
yeah: I am starting to feel the same way about my ATV3, especially now that I feel that 720p is better than 1080i, which is what my capture box offers off of DirecTV.

I almost gave away my ATV2 to a friend! hahahahaha (I have a history of gifting ATV1's to friends and family...)

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
I made the mistake of holding off on a 2 instead of waiting for a 3 in the hopes it'd be jailbreakable. Sadly it's not, it's an extremely secure device, not a priority for hackers either and therefore will probably never be jailbroken. Since Apple's content is expensive, lacking, and badly restricted (and it lacks the ability to stream my existing media off the network unlike any other media streamer, unless I have a desktop running iTunes which completely defeats the power saving objectives) I basically have a small black paperweight myself.

If you're still within the returns window, I suggest voting with your wallet and returning it for something like a Roku.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Why do you suggest a Roku? It won't stream media off your network either. You need something like a WD TV Live to do that. However, I have a last gen WD TV Live Plus and don't recommend it because of the crappy firmware updated WD puts out. I'm 4 or 5 releases old and staying that way because mine works - with every new release WD added crap like Twitter integration and broke something like DVD menus.

If the Apple TV could read from network shares (without requiring a jailbreak) I'd be all over it.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I have both and the ATV3 doesn't get used. If you can pick up a cheap ATV2 somewhere then go for it. No problem about second hand as long as it is working since you can just update to the latest IOS then jailbreak that.
If you don't have any real need to Jailbreak though then I would stick with ATV3 but for me it is worthless without the JB.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Why do you suggest a Roku? It won't stream media off your network either. You need something like a WD TV Live to do that. However, I have a last gen WD TV Live Plus and don't recommend it because of the crappy firmware updated WD puts out. I'm 4 or 5 releases old and staying that way because mine works - with every new release WD added crap like Twitter integration and broke something like DVD menus.

If the Apple TV could read from network shares (without requiring a jailbreak) I'd be all over it.

I thought it would, or at least be hackable to. Well, "something like" that anyway!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Of course it will, anything you have on your network it will play it back. (I use Roksbox channel to read my NAS, but there are other options)

and you can also get some online streams from broadcasters

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
...If the Apple TV could read from network shares (without requiring a jailbreak) I'd be all over it.

Well, here is my perspective, having owned the original Legacy ATV since about 6 months after it came out (and was first hackable) and now own all 3:

Firecore makes it easy to jailbreak the ATV2; and as such I find it the best of all worlds.

I like to use the iTunes Store for my purchases, and I do not think you can get that functionality in any other "box". Add to that access to my network content at home and I am very happy with it.

I actually prefer to travel with my legacy ATV, as with its internal HD, I can load it up with content (that need not take up valuable HD space on my MacBook Pro). It was a valuable tool to have last year when I spent 6 weeks in London; especially podcasts of the NBC Evening News and The Rachel Maddow Show, which I watched each weekday morning with breakfast.

I am not sure why I purchased the ATV3. I have now determined that 720p content is preferable to 1080i. Since my Hauppauge HDDVR-1212 cannot capture in 1080p, I am not sure what benefit the ATV3 offers me over the ATV2. But it is still early in the life of the ATV3, so we shall see...

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
Of course it will, anything you have on your network it will play it back. (I use Roksbox channel to read my NAS, but there are other options)

and you can also get some online streams from broadcasters

Was not aware of Roksbox - how do you like the performance of it reading from your NAS? Can you name me some of the other options so I can research them too?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Did I really need to put a smiley face after the hot air popcorn statement???

I own one of each; what do you want to do with yours?

----------

I just paid $85 refurb at the Apple Store...

Perhaps it was just the grammer:

will "hot air POP popcorn"

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Was not aware of Roksbox - how do you like the performance of it reading from your NAS? Can you name me some of the other options so I can research them too?

I only used RoksBox and I don't use it as often since my main player is Plex. so there are only a few things that i read directly fron NAS. But i've seen other people talking about others options (private channels on the forums)

I also know that readyNAS can run PLex server.

aggrobot

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011

This is not exactly true. Plex can be installed on the Roku. I rock plex on my jb'd ATV2 and I love it. Since the atv2 is hard to come by, I've sent friends down the Roku/plex path with great success.

My hope is that they just open up atv IOS for apps at wwdc and we can all get our plex party on. Until then, Roku/plex gets the job done.

**edit** I just read "off your network" and assumed you meant streamed from a server. My bad!

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
Yeah...I'm not interested in adding complexity by installing services and streaming it from my NAS or my computer, I want my "TV device" to read network shares (like my NAS) and pull the media off. The WD TV Live Plus does an OK job of it for what I use it for - but it's certainly not intuitive or have a "pretty" UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.