Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Has anyone felt the rounded edges of the previous generations designs (X/11) were smoother and easier to handle?

I’m debating upgrading to the 12 from the X so I can jailbreak but I held it tonight and I’m still not sure how I feel about the sharp edges. What has the general reception been, and what are people anticipating they will do with this year’s model?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
My favorite iPhone ever was the 5S, and the 12 mini is close to that feel. I upgraded from the X and couldn't be happier.
Mee too my first iPhone ever that I could buy and afford was the iPhone 5 then the iPhone 5S. Amazing devices.

Reactions: TH55

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I started with the 4S and upgraded to the 5S as soon as I could afford it. While I have enjoyed the previous rounded edges, I think the square edges are much better and definitely easier to handle/use. I have a 12 Pro Max that I use caseless and I’ve never had an issue holding it or felt like it was less comfortable than other phones. I will say the rounded edges made the bezels seem slightly smaller, but this isn’t a huge issue

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I do not find the edges hard at all. We have our 12 in a case and don’t even notice the edges. Actually prefer the new shape design.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I do not like the edges of the iPhone 12 at all, but I have it in a leather case, so it really doesn't matter much.

However, I do prefer the iPhone 12 in a case to the iPhone XS in a case I upgraded from, it is grippier and easier to hold securely.

What I really want is a return to the iPhone 3GS form factor, so that the phone would fit comfortably in my pocket, and could be used and handled without a case.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I like having the squared off edges for multiple reasons.

One being that the edges lightly dig into my hand, providing grip and more confidence that the phone wouldn't slip out of my hand.

Another reason being that I am able to stand it up on its side if I need to.

More on the gripping the phone, I went from the original iPhone, to an 4s (which was my favorite), then 5s, then 6s Plus when they launched. The 6s Plus would sometimes "pop" out of my hands due to the rounded edges and smooth aluminum. I didn't like the size at all unless I could have two hands on the phone, which I found out was very rarely, as I was almost always using it one-handed.

After my wife broke the screen of the iPhone 5s I gave her (which was given to her because she broke the screen of her iPhone 5), I got her an iPhone SE1, and a Otterbox Defender case.

When putting the SE1 into my wife's new case, I was holding the phone, and just loving the way it felt in my hand. Love the squared edges and size. I wanted an SE, but didn't want to drop from 128GB on my 6s Plus to only the max of 64GB that was available at the time with the SE1.

I ended up switching to the SE1 when Apple released it with 128GB storage.

I sold my iPhone 6s Plus for really cheap to a good friend that wanted an iPhone but didn't want to spend that much for a phone. The ironic part is that he hated the squared edges of the prior iPhones, but loved the rounded edges of the 6s.

So, people like what they like.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Plenty have and I am not sure my self, it feels bigger than it is and is uncomfortable in the hand. E.g. dimension tell me, my 12 pro is smaller than my Mi Mix 2, but it doesn't feel like that. I like the look and that it is more grippy, but with a cover it is a moot point and they are too expensive and delicate for my stomach to use naked. I guess my conclusion is, that handling wise, the boxy design works best for smaller phones, while rounded edges makes bigger phones feel smaller.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, I dislike it. I prefer the X with rounded edges.
As I were in for a change I bought one anyway, it´s a great smartphone otherwise.
Do you still notice it in a case or do you use your phone caseless?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I do not like the edges of the iPhone 12 at all, but I have it in a leather case, so it really doesn't matter much.

However, I do prefer the iPhone 12 in a case to the iPhone XS in a case I upgraded from, it is grippier and easier to hold securely.

What I really want is a return to the iPhone 3GS form factor, so that the phone would fit comfortably in my pocket, and could be used and handled without a case.
Would the silicone case have the same effect of masking the edges? Is it the shape or the sharpness that bothers you?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Plenty have and I am not sure my self, it feels bigger than it is and is uncomfortable in the hand. E.g. dimension tell me, my 12 pro is smaller than my Mi Mix 2, but it doesn't feel like that. I like the look and that it is more grippy, but with a cover it is a moot point and they are too expensive and delicate for my stomach to use naked. I guess my conclusion is, that handling wise, the boxy design works best for smaller phones, while rounded edges makes bigger phones feel smaller.
What are my other options, is the 11 pro more comfortable? How are the internals in comparison to the 12?

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
What are my other options, is the 11 pro more comfortable? How are the internals in comparison to the 12?
I don't know about 11 pro, but I am comming from a 6s and guess that is 11 pro is better than 12 pro in the hand, since it is smaller and has rounded edges. It does not have 5G and it uses Intel modem, which I have no experience with, but should be inferior to the qualcomm modem in 12 (though I hate Qualcomm as a company). Other differences compared to 12 pro, is 4GB ram vs 6GB ram and lack of Lidar. I had a 11 pro, I would not upgrade, but not sure I would buy it today unless the I could get it for a very good price. Personally I feel Apple has given us too many choices and I am not sure if I should have gone for Max or Mini instead. I feel 12 pro is too big to small, but too small to big ?. Mini would have been my perfect phone some years ago, but now I have become older and my vision close up is not perfect anymore.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I use both a 12 Pro Max and 11 Pro Max, 11 is for work. The 11 is so much harder to hold after owning the 12 since they came out. Love the square edges!

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I hated the rounded, slippery edges and the fact that I had to put up with that design for such a long time. Hopefully it never returns.

Reactions: mistsate86

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I like the current design a lot and don’t find it uncomfortable at all. As others said a case might make it easier for some.

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
i find the bare aluminum edges on the mini for whatever reason just feel less secure than the naked 5s did. Not sure if its because of newer anodization coatings. But in the leather case the flat edged mini feels great, and as others have said reminds me a lot of my favorite iphone design, the space grey iphone 5s.

i had the 12 pro as well and didn't mind the flat edges either. I liked that screen protectors sit flush on the flat display as well. Although i will admit it didn't feel as organic in the hand as the rounded edge iphones.

Overall prefer it to the rounded edges though

tmt

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Do you still notice it in a case or do you use your phone caseless?
I have an Apple leathercase, and it’s great as usual, but the formfactor isn’t really my fave.
But the Phone is epic otherwise.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I prefer the 12 design. Easier to grip. I find the rounded edges to be slippery at tines. Thats my opinion and from my own experience that is. Different stroke for different folks they say.

beep007

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2021
I owned Iphone X before and bought Iphone 12 mini. Returned the mini after a week. I couldn't stand the feel of the phone with those sharp edges, i really hated them. Have no other options than to look at 11 pro now.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Has anyone felt the rounded edges of the previous generations designs (X/11) were smoother and easier to handle?

I’m debating upgrading to the 12 from the X so I can jailbreak but I held it tonight and I’m still not sure how I feel about the sharp edges. What has the general reception been, and what are people anticipating they will do with this year’s model?

For me, and these are completely matters of personal taste, the X generation are more aesthetically pleasing, easier on the eye, and their curved edge form is more suited to the human hand. The 12PM so heavy in my pocket is a brutalist slab with all the charm of a coffin lid. My XS though, I can turn in my hand and admire its beauty. Like I said, personal taste.

Reactions: Bethanie21

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I love 12’s design language. I started with 3GS, then 4, 5, SE, 7, XS and now 12 mini. I also tested last month 12 but despite I like typing on it and longer battery life, it’s really huge for me. I hated rounded sides on XS because in bed it was slippery while laying on the side and it was quite big to use nicely in one hand. 12 mini is far better to hold and use with one hand but sometimes I wish it could be bigger - maybe it’s display is scaled from 5,8” version. 12 is too big for me so my ideal iPhone would be 5,8” in 12ish design language. Perfect to hold and with that flat design it could be smaller than XS or 11 Pro (this was also really heavy) was. So for now my least compromise is 12 mini.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I love the design and it's neat to be able to stand my phone straight up on my desk lol. My only gripe is the flat edges can make it tricky to find cases that fit. When I first got my 12pm last year I had ordered a few cases beforehand, and only one of them fit right. The others had gaps along the sides and I had to send them back. Still have that problem with some cases, the sides just won't snap on right cause there's not as much of a ledge to grip onto like the older models had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.