Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I started with the 4S and upgraded to the 5S as soon as I could afford it. While I have enjoyed the previous rounded edges, I think the square edges are much better and definitely easier to handle/use. I have a 12 Pro Max that I use caseless and I’ve never had an issue holding it or felt like it was less comfortable than other phones. I will say the rounded edges made the bezels seem slightly smaller, but this isn’t a huge issue

I have an 11 Pro that I use naked and I’ve never had an issue with it being ‘slippery’. Don’t get that argument.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I have an 11 Pro that I use naked and I’ve never had an issue with it being ‘slippery’. Don’t get that argument.
Not sure if you replied to the wrong post, but I never stated or thought the 11 Pro was slippery at all. I was just saying for my use I think the 12 Pro Max is easier to handle and feels better in my hand

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I owned Iphone X before and bought Iphone 12 mini. Returned the mini after a week. I couldn't stand the feel of the phone with those sharp edges, i really hated them. Have no other options than to look at 11 pro now.
Even in a case??

AppleSmurf

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2020
I’m sure there are people out there who hate the square edges. I personally love them. I went from an 8+ to a 12 and I feel the smaller phone is easier to handle. I’d look beyond the design and go with what you feel is most comfortable.

Reactions: prazakj

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Now that I'm used to the size of the 12 Pro it is my favorite of the iPhones so far. I liked the X too, but couldn't replace the battery or I would have kept it longer.

Pocket wise, the 4 was the best.

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2016
Don't mind it. Had both 5S and 1st gen SE and adored the design. When rumours came of the squared design came out I was excited but I prefer the feel and aesthetic of my 8+ and 11PM compared to my 12PM. Bizarre...

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
I liked the rounded edges of the 6-11 series iPhone, i thought that as time went by i would get used to the squared edges, but that’s still not happened, with my 11 PM i would go caseless a lot, but now even though i like the pacific blue colour, i thought that i would go caseless often, but i can’t like the way the shape edges feel...

alphadog808

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2015
I upgraded to the 12 Pro from my 8 and hated it. It was just slightly too big and the square edges were uncomfortable even in a case after long periods of use. Returned the 12 pro and got the 11 pro and ive been happy ever since. Just the right size and rounded edges are more comfortable. Square edges work on small phones but not big phones imo, it made the 12 pro feel bigger than it actually was. For reference, the i always use an apple leather case on all my phones so not much bulk is added.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I personall like the edges aesthetically but not for actual use. The 12pm wasn’t comfortable to hold that’s for sure.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I upgraded to the 12 Pro from my 8 and hated it. It was just slightly too big and the square edges were uncomfortable even in a case after long periods of use. Returned the 12 pro and got the 11 pro and ive been happy ever since. Just the right size and rounded edges are more comfortable. Square edges work on small phones but not big phones imo, it made the 12 pro feel bigger than it actually was. For reference, the i always use an apple leather case on all my phones so not much bulk is added.
What is the diff between the 11 pro and 12 pro?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Why is the 11 pro so cheap now on eBay? I’m seeing it for only like $5-600.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't think the 12 is better looking then the 11, but the form-factor definitely makes it more practical.
The 12 actually fits in my hand, while the 11 doesn't.

I love the design and it's neat to be able to stand my phone straight up on my desk lol.

And this.. apparently I'm not the only one who does that lol.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Would the silicone case have the same effect of masking the edges? Is it the shape or the sharpness that bothers you?
Probably. However, I really need the drop protection too, so the leather is better for me.

To be honest, I am not quite sure what it is about the flat edges that rub me the wrong way.

I did return the first generation 11" iPad Pro for a number of reasons, including that the shape made it difficult to lift off a flat table, uncomfortable to hold and also made the fact that it was a little bent that much more obvious.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Has anyone felt the rounded edges of the previous generations designs (X/11) were smoother and easier to handle?

I’m debating upgrading to the 12 from the X so I can jailbreak but I held it tonight and I’m still not sure how I feel about the sharp edges. What has the general reception been, and what are people anticipating they will do with this year’s model?

I am sure there are people who dislike it.

I loved the iPhone 4/iPhone 5 design with the square edges... and was excited when the iPhone 12 was announced to have that same design, albeit a larger version. After 6 months of iPhone 12 Pro Max usage (and a case) I have gotten comfortable with it again... however, initially it was almost painful to hold. I attributed the discomfort to the square edges on the larger device - something that didn't quite fit in my had the same way that the smaller version did... but, as I said, it was my favorite design of all time, and with the passage of time and the use of a case (Pitaka Magcase), I am loving it.

Last edited:

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Actually the answer is "yes". The question is "are there people who dislike", and there are always contrarians to every proposal... you will never design product that 100% of the people like... The topic for this discussion is not whether you or I like it...
no

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
The flat edges do make the phone overall smaller,or it gives the illusion of. I do like how it looks,but feel in the hand? Sometimes i miss the rounded edges,sometimes i love the flat edges.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Yeah, I kinda miss my 11 pro. I think that might have been the perfect design.
Because weight is a part of the design, didn’t bother you that weight? It was one part of the reason why I didn’t switch from XS to 11 Pro and why I waited for 12’s line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.