Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
You are useing your idevice and you see the 10% warning and you dont have the Charger?

Heres how to!

First step: turn on airplane mode.

Next step is to turn down brightness

Then turn on reduce motion (saves battery life)

Then disable GPS/location service.

What do you do when you get VERY low on battery ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
I simply bought a thin 4500mAh battery + 6 inch lightning cable that I keep in my pocket to recharge my phone whenever I need to.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think turning down the brightness, using airplane mode and turning off services not being used are kind of a no brainer.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I think turning down the brightness, using airplane mode and turning off services not being used are kind of a no brainer.

Yup.

I keep the brightness to about 50-55% and that makes the most difference of anything. I take my phone off the charger at 0530 everyday and by the time I put it back on the charger around 2230 at night, I will have anywhere from 50-75% battery life remaining.*

*Of course, YMMV depending on usage habits.

qweenapps

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2014
I used to kill everything from the background. after I'm sure I'm not using it... however don't think makes to much difference. I like to avoid push notifications at least to keep it minimal.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014

Yea just felt like i wanted to share it ;)

----------

I simply bought a thin 4500mAh battery + 6 inch lightning cable that I keep in my pocket to recharge my phone whenever I need to.

Where can i buy them can you send link?? ;)

----------

Yup.

I keep the brightness to about 50-55% and that makes the most difference of anything. I take my phone off the charger at 0530 everyday and by the time I put it back on the charger around 2230 at night, I will have anywhere from 50-75% battery life remaining.*

*Of course, YMMV depending on usage habits.

i use my phone dead everyday LOL ?

----------

I used to kill everything from the background. after I'm sure I'm not using it... however don't think makes to much difference. I like to avoid push notifications at least to keep it minimal.

I close apps that way LOL so when am done useing a app i double click the home button and swipe up ;)

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
What? Don't running apps use RAM??

They may have a little bit but iOS will close them if it needs it but they are suspended unless its a specific type of app like navigation, streaming audio or has background refresh enabled to do something. The vast majority will be sat there doing nothing so closing them is pointless. I rarely close apps from the app switcher tray unless its crashed\frozen.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can get incredible gas mileage if I don't start my car, too. Disabling the iPhone's functionality to save battery life isn't a solution for most people. Who cares if I get 90 hours of battery life if I can't use my phone?

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
They may have a little bit but iOS will close them if it needs it but they are suspended unless its a specific type of app like navigation, streaming audio or has background refresh enabled to do something. The vast majority will be sat there doing nothing so closing them is pointless. I rarely close apps from the app switcher tray unless its crashed\frozen.

A little like 512MB? thats still useing power.

----------

I can get incredible gas mileage if I don't start my car, too. Disabling the iPhone's functionality to save battery life isn't a solution for most people. Who cares if I get 90 hours of battery life if I can't use my phone?

LOL turn off airplane mode and use it?

----------

i forget the exact reason but i believe starting with ios7, apps in the backround use very little memory compared to previous ios's

Maybe your white4s dont care about running apps?

LOL

Your username made me think about my black iphone 4s sold it 5 days ago on Ebay :)

And got a iphone 5s.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A little like 512MB? thats still useing power.

----------

LOL turn off airplane mode and use it?

----------

Maybe your white4s dont care about running apps?

LOL

Your username made me think about my black iphone 4s sold it 5 days ago on Ebay :)

And got a iphone 5s.
Well, if you turn off airplane mode then you aren't really saving as much battery. So, based on this thread, either you save the battery but not use a lot of the useful features of the phone (that depend on data/cellular) or you don't save much battery and actually get most use of the phone.

----------

What? Don't running apps use RAM??
They use RAM, but RAM in itself doesn't exactly use up battery in any noticeable fashion just by having somethings stored in it.

----------

You are useing your idevice and you see the 10% warning and you dont have the Charger?

Heres how to!

First step: turn on airplane mode.

Next step is to turn down brightness

Then turn on reduce motion (saves battery life)

Then disable GPS/location service.

What do you do when you get VERY low on battery ?
Has it been shown anywhere that reducing motion actually has any noticeable affect on battery life?

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Well, if you turn off airplane mode then you aren't really saving as much battery. So, based on this thread, either you save the battery but not use a lot of the useful features of the phone (that depend on data/cellular) or you don't save much battery and actually get most use of the phone.

----------

They use RAM, but RAM in itself doesn't exactly use up battery in any noticeable fashion just by having somethings stored in it.

----------

Has it been shown anywhere that reducing motion actually has any noticeable affect on battery life?

Yes reduce motion saves 10% battery life atleast thats what imore said and i can confirm that it gives more battery :)

And ram uses battery right?

and turn off airplane mode when you need to use it?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes reduce motion saves 10% battery life atleast thats what imore said and i can confirm that it gives more battery :)

Well, that's what I'm saying--I'm not really sure it's really be shown that noticeable battery is saved with motion reduced. Some anecdotal reports from random people, but not much else.

As for RAM using battery, well, having apps loaded in RAM (but not running) vs. having RAM free doesn't really make for a noticeable change in battery usage.

And as for turning off airplane mode, sure, you would be able to use it, but then a good chunk of the battery saving goes away--that's basically what's being pointed out, that the advice turn on airplane mode to save battery means not really having much use of your phone in the sense that most people use it (for calls, messaging, email, browsing, etc.) and is almost along the lines of just turning the phone off to save battery.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Have you been wanting longer battery life on your idevices? well heres how to !!

RAM uses battery whether it's full of app data or not. It's actively storing something or it's actively storing nothing.

Only an app running in the background will affect battery life but that's cause it's using the GPS, CPU, mic, speakers/headphones, etc etc. If it's not running it's not causing any significant battery drain.

As far as the topic I try to plan ahead so my battery doesn't die. If it does I just let it die. I'm not one to cripple the phone just for 5 more minutes of life.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Well, that's what I'm saying--I'm not really sure it's really be shown that noticeable battery is saved with motion reduced. Some anecdotal reports from random people, but not much else.

As for RAM using battery, well, having apps loaded in RAM (but not running) vs. having RAM free doesn't really make for a noticeable change in battery usage.

And as for turning off airplane mode, sure, you would be able to use it, but then a good chunk of the battery saving goes away--that's basically what's being pointed out, that the advice turn on airplane mode to save battery means not really having much use of your phone in the sense that most people use it (for calls, messaging, email, browsing, etc.) and is almost along the lines of just turning the phone off to save battery.

Oh ok ;)

i though that more apps= more battery usage

and airplane mode isn,t that bad?

----------

Exactly. If I wanted an iPod I would have bought an iPod.

Haha :)

You guys kinda got me there but why not just turn off airplane mode and use it When needed??

----------

RAM uses battery whether it's full of app data or not. It's actively storing something or it's actively storing nothing.

Only an app running in the background will affect battery life but that's cause it's using the GPS, CPU, mic, speakers/headphones, etc etc. If it's not running it's not causing any significant battery drain.

As far as the topic I try to plan ahead so my battery doesn't die. If it does I just let it die. I'm not one to cripple the phone just for 5 more minutes of life.

LOL i though closeing apps where a MUST LOL

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I use a mophie case, helps in a pinch.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Where can i buy them can you send link?? ;)

I personally bought an Anker Astro Slim (I believe it was $19) and a Belkin 6 inch lightning to USB cord (I believe it was $12). Not sure what the current prices are but you can find both on Amazon pretty easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.