Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I am thinking in June when mine comes up for a renew'l I might not be as inclined to renew it. Mobile is nice when it comes to syncing data, but I am not sure it is truly worth it, so the questions is

Have you cancelled MobileMe and if so Why.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
I push my contacts and calendar from Gmail for free. For push email I use Mail Notifier from the Appstore and it works perfectly.

Total Cost- $5 Dollars

:):)

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I was cautious about the service.. I think it has great potential to become a wonderful service, give it a few years.

tilmonabbott

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Worcester Ma
i enjoy it, but when my renewal comes up i think i might not do it either. Every time my contacts sync over air and my mac, they get screwed up with names and sometimes i'll have two peoples names come up when a person calls because i have two jeffs in my phone and one who didnt have a last name somehow synced as also being the one with a last name. Its great not having to have push on, and to have the calender right there and be able to change both phone and laptop instantaneously but it still needs to be worked on.

DavidMc

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
No issue with the service either and I actually would love to renew. But times are tight and all so I am moving to Gmail and using their free services. It's not as polished as MobileMe but it will do.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm happy with MobileMe and jsut re-upped for another year. The way everything seamlessly syncs over all my desktops and iPhone make it more than worth it, and much smoother than Google.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I just don't think its worth the price. I use Dropbox for files and Google for Calendar/Contact/E-Mail. All free.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Never bought it and wont. I mean, i love my iphone, but at some point you have to ask yourself (at least i do), how much money do you need to sink into the damn thing?

I pay $50 a month for data/text, plus apps that arent free, plus now i need to pay for mobile me for added convenience?? no thanks!

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I like MobileMe and can say that besides the initial mess, MM has been far more reliable than Gmail this year. I also think Find My iPhone is worth its weight in gold.

I think there are better things coming to the service over the horizon and am intrigued with the purchase of Lala. Apple has a lot of patents in relation to possible MM updates and one is storing media in the cloud.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I love MobileMe and will continue to re-new it, but I think I'm one of the few people around here that use almost all of the services it provides (sync [to iPhone + 3 other computers], storage [iDisk], and sharing [iDisk, photo galleries, web hosting]).

I know I could replace it with three or four different free services, but for what little savings/month it'd net me, it doesn't seem worth the hassle.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm pleased with it and so I'll be re-upping.

While there's no argument that there are cheaper alternatives, I don't think any of them integrate as well with my mac and iPhone as mobileme does. I think for the price you get a lot of function and utility, at least I do. Plus I don't like the idea of google snooping in my emails/docs or their EULA stating that if I use their services, they have perpetual rights to my images, data, etc.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I am thinking in June when mine comes up for a renew'l I might not be as inclined to renew it. Mobile is nice when it comes to syncing data, but I am not sure it is truly worth it, so the questions is

Have you cancelled MobileMe and if so Why.

Just renewed, so... I think it's worth it. Mind you, I don't pay full $99. I went thru Amazon.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
I was cautious about the service.. I think it has great potential to become a wonderful service, give it a few years.

That's exactly what I've said the last two years...I keep waiting! I seriously doubt I'll renew next year if there isn't some significant improvements in 2010.

For me and my girlfriend, MobileMe mail is glitchy and S-L-O-W.

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
I allowed my MobileMe account to expire. Mostly because I didn't want to pay for it anymore. I do kind of miss it but as I said am not willing to pay the full price any longer. I am using Google Sync for push email and contacts instead and it works about as well as MobileMe to be honest.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I am keeping mine. One use of find my iPhone and the service pays for itself several times over. I don't like google contacts or calender, and IMO mm's photo gallaries are the nicest out there. For $60/year (amazon) or $5/month, I'm not going to waste time cobbling together other solutions.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I love MobileMe and will probably keep my subscription for quite some time. I love iDisk...it allows seamless portable files & syncing to other Macs when needed. They're really getting much better and I think they'll add functionality for streaming your iTunes library at some point. I share a lot of files over MM in the work I do and it's easy enough for others to drop things in my Public folder. I like the choice of putting a password on file shares/downloads and the ability to expire then.

Most other freelancers I know also have Macs so, for me, it's a great service. If you're surrounded by PC's all day, then it might not seem like a great value. But in New York, I work in entertainment, and the only PC's I see are when I have to go into the corp offices of someplace I'm freelancing at. And even then, half of us are freelancers and bring our MPB's in anyway. (<--- EDIT: I sound like a hipster DB, I know. But it's true. lol)

There was some glitch with syncing calendars but it seems to be fixed now and I've never had a problem w/ my Contacts syncing w/ the iPhone, cloud or GMail. Find my iPhone is a great feature but I'm hoping I don't ever actually have to use it other than when I can't find the phone in my house. lol. I don't use the Gallery as much as I probably should but I have a Flickr account so I find that better for pictures & video. I have both .mac & gmail email accounts. I like using the aliases but still have them all coming into 1 box.

In all honesty, it really all just seamless and I'm paying for convenience as well as functionality. Worth it in my book.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i just renew my sub and i like it, it works great between my mac pro and my iphone ..plus push email is real fast !!! never had any problem with syncing...
ive changed iphones several times and i like the way i get all my contacts,my emails,my bookmarks,and my calendars back just by entering my user name and password... plus the 20gb online storage i disk and many more features...
for me its worth it!!

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I don't see the point of it.

Syncing calendars etc. with iPhone is good but I plug my phone into my Mac every couple of days, so no big deal.

iDisk seemed like a nice idea but I was baffled to discover that it doesn't auto-update. A file I specifically wanted available on my iDisk was a spreadsheet of my invoices, but it would mean remembering to re-drag and drop it to iDisk EVERY time I update the file (which is almost daily).

Back To My Mac - I have a MacBook Pro so don't see the point.

So I cancelled and have never reconsidered.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I debate renewing every year I always just do it. Not too interested in having to change the dozens of things I have setup with my mail accounts that use my @mac.com address as my primary address.

I wish iDisk worked more like DropBox, which I use now instead anyway. I do like the other features and also use it to sync my bookmarks across about 5 systems/laptops and I prefer Safari.

You can always get discounts on renewals at Amazon or purchasing off eBay.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
iDisk seemed like a nice idea but I was baffled to discover that it doesn't auto-update. A file I specifically wanted available on my iDisk was a spreadsheet of my invoices, but it would mean remembering to re-drag and drop it to iDisk EVERY time I update the file (which is almost daily).

If you're working on multiple Macs, then you can enable iDisk syncing to Off and you'll always be working off a synced version. If it's On, set it to update automatically so when you update the file, it's updated everywhere. When I've had to work on a PC someplace, it was a bit annoying mostly because I had gotten used to it being seamless.

But it is all a matter of preference and how you use the service. It's definitely not for all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.