Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Reactions: skeptech

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Going back to a digital watch it has cool old school vibes 😆 Personally can't stand mechanical watches.

vintage-casio-watches-02-2802998145.png

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Absolutely no interest in the Apple Watch, but I still have dreams about someday getting a Jaeger-LeCoultre moon phase watch.

Until then, I will just stick with my simple Citizen eco-drive.

Reactions: ratspg

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
It's like arguing that doing spreadsheets with an abacus and paper is nicer just because you have this nice expensive reservoir pen. And while your pen is nice and your abacus is nice with its ivory pearls they are way less capable than your laptop.

This resonates with me. I didn't wear a watch before the Apple Watch because I didn't find much utility to a regular watch, especially as smartphones began to encompass the time keeping function.

My guess is that a preference for mechanical watches is likely because either
  • it doesn't need charging (this is a valid utility point over AW - but in most urban settings is a non-issue)
  • it's a stylish accessory.
I think mechanical watches make a lot of sense if you're going into an area where charging is inaccessible (multi-month Pacific Crest Trail hike?). Otherwise I would rather just not wear anything if I can't get access to a smartwatch - the style is unimportant to me (but I acknowledge it is likely an important factor for others)

chanchowancho

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2017
I think it’s a fine idea to wear a nice watch for a while!

I’m someone who has always owned fitness trackers (Garmin, Apple, Fitbit) but also collects watches..

The difference in my fitness, and consistency of my workouts between wearing and not wearing a tracker is very small - in fact, my partner commented the other day that I’m far more regular with my workouts when I don’t wear a tracker!

Probably comes down to missing/delaying workouts due to Apple Watch not being charged - or skipping a days workout/going easy if my Garmin says I’m “overworked”

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
yup. The ability to easily change straps is a great feature. Interesting, I have a Cartier "Roadster" mechanical that has a similar band connection feature and a selection of leather, synthetic and steel straps.
It has to be the SS strap, with gold screws!

👌🏼

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
I've gotten really into watches in the last few years; I have a Tudor 1926 (41 mm), and a Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium (42 mm); I love them both -- they're both great "everyday" type watches, and I'd put the Tudor as more dressy. The Tudor 1926 comes in sizes down to 36 mm I believe, and Hamilton Khaki Field down to 38 mm. Soon getting a next one, likely a diver -- Tudor Black Bay 54 is very likely. Eventually planning a Rolex in the next years, and Grand Seiko too. It's certainly fun to collect these things, and they all tell stories for us in addition to keeping time. Cartiers are really cool too -- the Tank is always a classic but I agree the Santos looks great -- hope you get it soon!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.30.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.30.04 PM.png
    636.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.31.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.31.54 PM.png
    307 KB · Views: 27

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
Does a Timex Indiglo count as a mechanical watch? It runs for years on the little battery. Has no need to synchronize with a phone.

Reactions: Nebulance

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Sounds like you've got a digital watch? (This is likely a quartz movement with a battery for power -- so not technically mechanical.) Just did a quick search and there's a cool article on the history of Indiglo:

Looks like Timex puts Indiglo in many of their watches now

Last edited:

skeptech

Contributor
Aug 29, 2018
Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
In answer to the topic question: no, never.

The first and only mechanical watch I've ever owned was given to me when I was in grade school or early high school in the 1970s, and I changed to Casio LCD digital quartz watches more or less immediately. I wore Casio LCD digitals into the late 1990s, but quit after NTP became widely deployed and I had a bout with RSI in my left wrist.

Mechanical watches became obsolete when Seiko introduced the Astron 35SQ (quartz) on December 25, 1969. Quartz watches are an order of magnitude more accurate than mechanical movements, and require vastly less maintenance. Especially modern solar-powered, radio-controlled or GPS quartz watches. If I have to go backwards, I'll wear a Casio GWM-5610-1 solar-powered, radio-controlled LCD digital quartz watch. If I have to be dressy, a Citizen Eco-Drive AR3074 solar-powered, very thin watch will do, though it's not hard to dress up an Apple Watch: nice Milanese Loop, minimalist Apple Watch face, silent mode on.

Frankly, mechanical "watches" aren't watches any more, because they can't even match (let alone beat) their technological superiors at the primary purpose of a wristwatch: keeping & telling good, accurate time - they're ornamentation now.

Apple Watch is spec'd to maintain synchronization to UTC within ±50 milliseconds.

And it does a whole lot more than just tell time.

If you find its notifications annoying, turn them off - that's entirely on you because it's within your control. Need "digital detox"? That's what "do not disturb" is for - no need to be performative about it - just do it.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I just love the Santos De Cartier.

It‘s so unique, and just oozes class.

The only Rolex I like is the gold one, but I have small wrists and the Cartier would be ideal.

Also, it stands out a mile away. Rollys are just too “easy a choice” if you know what I mean?

Let’s see a pic of that beast.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Where are the Apple Haters when you need them? The trolls like to call Apple devices status symbols.

never wanted to join the crowd with mechanical jewelry, but love the utility of my Apple Watch.

my apologies.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Watch enthusiasts/aficionados usually don't forget mechanical watches. Some (only a few, actually) even wear both watches at the same time: an Apple Watch on one wrist and the regular watch on the other. Sure, an odd choice.

I guess the majority of them can't deny the convenience of Apple Watch and, at the same time, don't want to renounce to admire and relate to their mechanical watch which usually is a life-memento of important personal events/stories/people.

I’m one of them: I can’t renounce to admire my Submariner, bought for the birth of my son, and to the utility of AW. So my Sub is on my left wrist, my Ultra 2 on my right one.

Reactions: Marco Klobas

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
AW is a mostly toy—something to fidget with because you feel lost if not connected with your electronics and reminders and notifications. A wrist watch is a single purpose convenience to aid you keep track of time. And it doesn’t bother you with a collection of needless reminders.

Not quite the same thing, but I often go home for lunch given I live near work. The other day when I went back to work I felt something was off and realized I had forgotten my phone. I called home (using the store’s phone) to check and found I had left my phone on the kitchen table. My mother asked me if I had to come home to get it wherein I replied, “No, I lived for forty years without a phone in my pocket so having to do without it for four hours isn’t going to bother me.”

If I can go for extended periods without my phone I sure as hell don’t need yet another device to keep me tethered to the phone.
I get that the whole vibe of this post is “old man yells at cloud” but it’s silly to say the Apple Watch is mostly a toy. For one thing, it’s pretty terrible as a toy, with functionality too limited for continued novelty. For another, there are tons of extremely useful features outside of notifications. Even something as simple as using it as my alarm each morning, where it vibrates on my wrist so it wakes me up but not my partner, is invaluable. There’s nothing about it that is truly essential which makes sense as it’s designed as a supplement to a phone, but it offers me a multitude of small quality of life improvements that add up to it being an extremely useful device to have on each day.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
In answer to the topic question: no, never.

The first and only mechanical watch I've ever owned was given to me when I was in grade school or early high school in the 1970s, and I changed to Casio LCD digital quartz watches more or less immediately. I wore Casio LCD digitals into the late 1990s, but quit after NTP became widely deployed and I had a bout with RSI in my left wrist.

Mechanical watches became obsolete when Seiko introduced the Astron 35SQ (quartz) on December 25, 1969. Quartz watches are an order of magnitude more accurate than mechanical movements, and require vastly less maintenance. Especially modern solar-powered, radio-controlled or GPS quartz watches. If I have to go backwards, I'll wear a Casio GWM-5610-1 solar-powered, radio-controlled LCD digital quartz watch. If I have to be dressy, a Citizen Eco-Drive AR3074 solar-powered, very thin watch will do, though it's not hard to dress up an Apple Watch: nice Milanese Loop, minimalist Apple Watch face, silent mode on.

Frankly, mechanical "watches" aren't watches any more, because they can't even match (let alone beat) their technological superiors at the primary purpose of a wristwatch: keeping & telling good, accurate time - they're ornamentation now.

Apple Watch is spec'd to maintain synchronization to UTC within ±50 milliseconds.

And it does a whole lot more than just tell time.

If you find its notifications annoying, turn them off - that's entirely on you because it's within your control. Need "digital detox"? That's what "do not disturb" is for - no need to be performative about it - just do it.

100% agreed.

Though I would say that while mechanical watches are poor “watches”, as a fashion statement or piece of jewelry they can add value.

But as a watch, poor choice.

Reactions: skeptech

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
The last time I wore a watch before I got the S3 was well over 30 years ago (am 38 now). Got the S3 in 2018 to track my fitness activities and that’s it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I would definitely miss the notifications and Apple Pay, so I don't see myself moving away from an Apple Watch. It's more of how often I upgrade, and whether I stick with the base model or get the ultra version.

Reactions: KeithBN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.