Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Somewhere around a year ago I stopped watching TV, for reasons that after a few months no longer had relevance for me.

But then another month would go by, and another, and I just didn’t turn the set on.

I’d occasionally think about it, but in the end, decided to switch from a HD TV/internet bundle from Comcast, to internet with a basic SD TV package thrown in. It was actually cheaper to do that than for internet only. So I never took the TV box out of its wrapper, and subsequently moved to where Comcast doesn’t reach.

TV options out here in the country are DirecTV and Dish. I may subscribe to one or the other at some point, or may not. It’s not cheap, but the larger issue is deciding what I’d have to forego in order to spend a similar length of time in front of the TV.

Anyway, I’m curious about other folks that do not watch TV, and why they don’t watch it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hardly ever.

And, when I am abroad (which is often) I can go for months without ever watching TV.

My personal preferences are serious news or competent current affairs; documentaries (good ones); nature programmes (good ones - i.e. David Attenborough); and good historical or intelligent drama. (Foyle's War, maybe, Life on Mars, Endeavour, etc).

Or, good scifi - STNG was pure gold.

I cannot abide trite, unintelligent moronic television; I have no interest in most of the programmes on TV, never liked soaps, talk shows, or reality TV shows, or silly games shows.

And yes, I have a marked preferred for British, or European drama over anything from Across The Pond.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I didn’t watch television from 2002 to 2014 except for a few sporting events. Between my marriage and work I was really busy, plus my former wife doesn’t like television. We divorced in 2014 and started watching/listening to more sports and renting a few movies via Apple TV.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
One thing I'd clarify: I hear people saying how they don't "watch TV", but then go on to discuss shows on Netflix, Prime, etc.

I think some people call "TV", watching as aired shows via a network broadcast source, but really - anymore - there's theatrical releases and everything else that's targeted to a delivery mechanism, that includes: real time broadcast via network, cable, premium, streaming sources via all sorts of devices (TVs with a "box", tablets, computers, phones). I had a former business partner of mine proclaim proudly how he didn't watch TV, then went on to talk about some Prime original, I said, "That's TV", he said, "No it's not, I watch Prime on my Mac" ... BZZZZT, sorry, you're watching television, aka "TV programming" :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One thing I'd clarify: I hear people saying how they don't "watch TV", but then go on to discuss shows on Netflix, Prime, etc.

I think some people call "TV", watching as aired shows via a network broadcast source, but really - anymore - there's theatrical releases and everything else that's targeted to a delivery mechanism, that includes: real time broadcast via network, cable, premium, streaming sources via all sorts of devices (TVs with a "box", tablets, computers, phones). I had a former business partner of mine proclaim proudly how he didn't watch TV, then went on to talk about some Prime original, I said, "That's TV", he said, "No it's not, I watch Prime on my Mac" :D

No, @D.T.

I genuinely don't "watch TV".

Tomorrow morning, I shall watch "Marr" on BBC, possibly the leading current affairs show of the week.

I subscribe to The Economist, The FT, and read other publications (I have subscribed to The Guardian).

I read my news online, mainly because talking heads shows on current affairs shows came to annoy me so much, even on shows that I used to like, such as "Newsnight".

Actually, it is not that I don't watch TV (well, I don't) it is, rather, that on the rare occasions when I do watch it, it is as a result of a deliberate choice made to sit down and watch a particulate and specific programme.

Thus, I am the polar opposite of those people who idly channel hop, remote in hand, or who have the TV on in the background; it is never on in the background, indeed, it is never on at all, unless I have chosen to sit down and watch a programme (I did watch the Brexit debates with dawning horror, for example).

If I am watching something I specifically want to watch, I will not answer a phone call, for example.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

I think some people call "TV", watching as aired shows via a network broadcast source, but really - anymore - there's theatrical releases and everything else that's targeted to a delivery mechanism, that includes: real time broadcast via network, cable, premium, streaming sources via all sorts of devices (TVs with a "box", tablets, computers, phones). I had a former business partner of mine proclaim proudly how he didn't watch TV, then went on to talk about some Prime original, I said, "That's TV", he said, "No it's not, I watch Prime on my Mac" ... BZZZZT, sorry, you're watching television, aka "TV programming" :D

Oh, I watch the heck out of YouTube documentaries. Thank god for YouTube Red.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I DVR. Been using one form or another of the tech since it arrived in the consumer sphere. I cannot stand regular TV. Head on!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I DVR. Been using one form or another of the tech since it arrived in the consumer sphere. I cannot stand regular TV. Head on!

Twenty years ago, ah, on recollection, oooops, this is closer to 30 years ago, - tempos fugit and all that - I had a deal with my brother: I would record (video cassette) MOTD, or something similar, so that he could head to the pub.

Likewise, if I was out, he would record STNG - or, a specific current affairs show.

But, other than that, I rarely recorded anything.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia

Makes sense. To be clear, though, by that definition, I have not watched TV for about a year. I’m not saying that proudly, at all; just stating a fact.
For context, another aspect of living in the country is very limited internet access. I currently use “unlimited” Verizon MIFI, with a 15GB allowance before it slows to a glacial pace. Remember dial-up? So my streaming any sort of video content is pretty much out of the question.

What I also do not mean to suggest is that there aren’t some really good shows on TV. There are, at least in my humble opinion. STNG being a prime example.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Twenty years ago, ah, on recollection, oooops, this is closer to 30 years ago, - tempos fugit and all that - I had a deal with my brother: I would record (video cassette) MOTD, or something similar, so that he could head to the pub.

Likewise, if I was out, he would record STNG - or, a specific current affairs show.

But, other than that, I rarely recorded anything.
I never bothered much with cassettes. Though I do fancy myself as inventive, then at least, by figuring out how to record a rented cassette to three other cassette recorders in tandem. I did record the occasional documentary for my older one from time to time. Never did much for my younger.

I still have some bad memories of ruined tapes I cherished. Or, if you recall, a tape jam in the car. Terrible times. I love it when my older nephews whine about bluetooth or something similar crapping out on them. They know not of the terrible pains experienced in the old days of magnetic tape or having to use a faux tape with a portable CD player. Or disc skipping. They have it good now.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Makes sense. To be clear, though, by that definition, I have not watched TV for about a year. I’m not saying that proudly, at all; just stating a fact.
For context, another aspect of living in the country is very limited internet access. I currently use “unlimited” Verizon MIFI, with a 15GB allowance before it slows to a glacial pace. Remember dial-up? So my streaming any sort of video content is pretty much out of the question.

What I also do not mean to suggest is that there aren’t some really good shows on TV. There are, at least in my humble opinion. STNG being a prime example.

Yeah, I was just sort of opening up the discussion around the concept of "watching TV", certainly, I consume media through a TV, but way of an AppleTV and various apps. Some are dedicated streaming services (Netflix), some are things like news through various "TV providers", some are traditional TV sources (like HBO), but through an internet based delivery (HBONow). I think the lines are really blurred as to what constitutes TV, heck, even YoutTube "channels" are analogous to an old school tv network.

There is some spectacular TV on right now, in fact, this whole golden age of "TV" is providing some amazing content. Black Mirror, Handmaid's Tale, The Americans, Barry, GOT, SV, Atlanta, Killing Eve, Preacher, Mindhunter, The Good Place, American Gods - in the last decade or so, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Madmen, Six Feet Under, Justified, The Wire ...

Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There is some spectacular TV on right now, in fact, this whole golden age of "TV" is providing some amazing content. Black Mirror, Handmaid's Tale, The Americans, Barry, GOT, SV, Atlanta, Killing Eve, Preacher, Mindhunter, The Good Place, American Gods...

Okay: Of that lot, the only one I have even heard of - not seen (mostly because I have been abroad for most of the past year, don't know what channel it is on, because I no longer buy a print edition of the paper most days and don't know what is on when) is The Handmaid's Tale.

(Yes, I have read the book; that is why I have heard of it - that, and the superlative reviews).

The other shows, I'm in Europe remember - I have never even hear of, much less seen.

- in the last decade or so, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Madmen, Six Feet Under, Justified, The Wire ...

Sopranos I did see, but never watched religiously. (Being away for months, if not years, at a time, is a very good way to ensure you do not succumb to the siren lure of a good TV show).

Breaking Bad, I have heard of - but never saw. Likewise Six Feet Under, and The Wire.

In other words, I think the world of TV shows is probably becoming a lot more intellectually and culturally splintered.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Hahaha, very nice. Yes, YoutTube was started by that Italian family ...
One of the best comedy movies of the time period. I've probably watched it at least 300 times now.
[doublepost=1530396545][/doublepost]
Sopranos I did see, but never watched religiously. (Being away for months, if not years, at a time, is a very good way to ensure you do not succumb to the siren lure of a good TV show).

Breaking Bad, I have heard of - but never saw. Likewise Six Feet Under, and The Wire.
I've never watched any of those shows apart from various clips. They aren't interesting to me. The Sopranos was the final nail in the coffin for mob themed film or television. I did try out Breaking Bad once. Tried to get through three episodes but found it utterly boring and kept falling asleep. Meanwhile, my siblings loved it. Of course, I abhor anything science fiction, so a lot of modern shows are on the cutting block for me.

I'm more excited that Arte is airing Au service de la France's season 2 next month. I've been excited for five months.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Not anymore
I get DVDs from the library of tv shows, I watch house md from start to finish since 2013 for reasearch and to listen to the dialogue. Other series I study are Game of Moans, Monk, Dexter, blacklist, 6 feet’s under and Curb.
I’m staring Baskets next week. The last TV series I watched live was NYPDBlue.

I hope this helps

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I rarely watch TV...... I’ve got a cable subscription for the basic channels and all that, but about the only time I turn the television on is to watch some special show which captures my interest (having heard about it on the internet or through a fan group if it involves one of the singers whose career I follow) or if there is a major news event occurring. Most of my leisure time (of which I’ve got plenty now that I am retired!) is spent on the computer and especially the internet or in reading books...I’m a lifelong reader and nothing, but nothing, is going to stop that! The impression that I’ve gotten over the past several years is that a lot of what is on major network TV these days is just junk, not worth wasting time on, and I really don’t think that even if I had the top tier in cable selections that I’d watch much of what is offered there, either. I seriously don’t think I’m missing much..... And even if there were some particular series that I wanted to follow, that is easy enough to do these days with a subscription through iTunes, where I could then watch it at my leisure on the computer......

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I ditched my cable sub in 2004. It was about all the commercials, and the fact that all I ever watched were movies I'd never seen that were on TCM or TNT etc, or else reruns of stuff like Law and Order that I used to zone out after too long at work and too much coffee.

For awhile I kept the TV to use with a VCR and some tapes I liked to watch now and then but not well enough to convert to or buy digital.

Now I'm a pick-and-chooser. I've bought some TV series, streamed some on Netflix or Amazon, sometimes hunt around YouTube for live performances of album tracks I've enjoyed.

On balance I'm much more of a reader than a TV or even film aficionada. I could never comprehend people like even a few of my younger siblings who at home always have a TV on in the background with some news channel on mute like it's wallpaper "in case something happens".

An ex-sister-in-law used to leave the TV on and showing some sitcom even while talking on the phone, with the volume turned up on the TV, and also chatting with me while we were preparing a meal for a family get together.

I'm from a time before kids even did their school homework with a radio on, so I guess auditory multitasking was never going to be for me. I can't even stand commercials that pitch a product while they also play music. It also annoys me when I end up in some waiting room for an appointment and the establishment has a news channel on with the sound not muted!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I rarely watch TV...... I’ve got a cable subscription for the basic channels and all that, but about the only time I turn the television on is to watch some special show which captures my interest (having heard about it on the internet or through a fan group if it involves one of the singers whose career I follow) or if there is a major news event occurring. Most of my leisure time (of which I’ve got plenty now that I am retired!) is spent on the computer and especially the internet or in reading books...I’m a lifelong reader and nothing, but nothing, is going to stop that! The impression that I’ve gotten over the past several years is that a lot of what is on major network TV these days is just junk, not worth wasting time on, and I really don’t think that even if I had the top tier in cable selections that I’d watch much of what is offered there, either. I seriously don’t think I’m missing much..... And even if there were some particular series that I wanted to follow, that is easy enough to do these days with a subscription through iTunes, where I could then watch it at my leisure on the computer......

I ditched my cable sub in 2004. It was about all the commercials, and the fact that all I ever watched were movies I'd never seen that were on TCM or TNT etc, or else reruns of stuff like Law and Order that I used to zone out after too long at work and too much coffee.

For awhile I kept the TV to use with a VCR and some tapes I liked to watch now and then but not well enough to convert to or buy digital.

Now I'm a pick-and-chooser. I've bought some TV series, streamed some on Netflix or Amazon, sometimes hunt around YouTube for live performances of album tracks I've enjoyed.

On balance I'm much more of a reader than a TV or even film aficionada. I could never comprehend people like even a few of my younger siblings who at home always have a TV on in the background with some news channel on mute like it's wallpaper "in case something happens".

An ex-sister-in-law used to leave the TV on and showing some sitcom even while talking on the phone, with the volume turned up on the TV, and also chatting with me while we were preparing a meal for a family get together.

I'm from a time before kids even did their school homework with a radio on, so I guess auditory multitasking was never going to be for me. I can't even stand commercials that pitch a product while they also play music. It also annoys me when I end up in some waiting room for an appointment and the establishment has a news channel on with the sound not muted!

I went a year without watching anything. I didn't miss it. I read a lot that year. I am worse with books than television though, in that I can do it quickly and quietly anywhere. It's an addiction with me.

I've since gone back to TV, and watch several shows/week.

Yes, I'm a reader, too, and this is something I could never envisage not doing on a regular basis.

Interesting, too, - anecdotally from this thread alone - that TV has led to a number of the female members of the forum (myself included) jettisoning it entirely.

Now, I never watch movies either, unless I have read stunning reviews, or received very strong recommendations about a particular movie.

And - for shows, or movies, - these days, I run an unofficial Bechdel Test over the thing before I will even allow it a minute of my time.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I watch a few shows:

Homeland, which is a must-see political/spy thriller, starring Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin.

Shameless, a black comedy about a chaotic Chicago family, with William H Macy.

The Man in the High Castle, based on the Philip K Dick book, about an alternate history where the Axis powers won WWII. It's on Prime Video and is supposed to start its third season any day now...

This Is Life, an investigational/documentary show hosted by Lisa Ling.

I also used to really like Parts Unknown, too. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.