Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I don't watch live TV anymore, except for rare occasions like the Olympics or the Oscars.

I do watch streaming regularly, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I watch new current original shows on these services (like the canceled Mozart in the Jungle, Adventure Time, Rick & Morty, National Geographic's Genius, Anthony Bourdain's shows, etc.) and I also watch older programs that happen to be on these services (like Ken Burns' Jazz).

But I do go days without watching anything on TV. I've always read more than I watched TV.

Reactions: LizKat

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Not using traditional set top box setup but I do watch live content online.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Why do you keep picking at this point? Good grief!

Because I think a lot of people who declare that they never watch TV actually mean that they don't watch much TV. There's a difference.

In the UK I hear people all the time say they shouldn't have to pay the TV licence as they don't watch TV, but question further and they always actually do. And this is ignoring the fact that the licence pays for more than just BBC's TV services.

Reactions: Gutwrench

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Because I think a lot of people who declare that they never watch TV actually mean that they don't watch much TV. There's a difference.

In the UK I hear people all the time say they shouldn't have to pay the TV licence as they don't watch TV, but question further and they always actually do. And this is ignoring the fact that the licence pays for more than just BBC's TV services.

I, for one, don’t watch traditional tv ever! Still paying the tv licence though.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Somewhere around a year ago I stopped watching TV, for reasons that after a few months no longer had relevance for me.

But then another month would go by, and another, and I just didn’t turn the set on.

I’d occasionally think about it, but in the end, decided to switch from a HD TV/internet bundle from Comcast, to internet with a basic SD TV package thrown in. It was actually cheaper to do that than for internet only. So I never took the TV box out of its wrapper, and subsequently moved to where Comcast doesn’t reach.

TV options out here in the country are DirecTV and Dish. I may subscribe to one or the other at some point, or may not. It’s not cheap, but the larger issue is deciding what I’d have to forego in order to spend a similar length of time in front of the TV.

Anyway, I’m curious about other folks that do not watch TV, and why they don’t watch it.

Short question: by no watching TV do you mean live TV or no movies/TV shows/documentaries at all?
[doublepost=1530639535][/doublepost]
Somewhere around a year ago I stopped watching TV, for reasons that after a few months no longer had relevance for me.

But then another month would go by, and another, and I just didn’t turn the set on.

I’d occasionally think about it, but in the end, decided to switch from a HD TV/internet bundle from Comcast, to internet with a basic SD TV package thrown in. It was actually cheaper to do that than for internet only. So I never took the TV box out of its wrapper, and subsequently moved to where Comcast doesn’t reach.

TV options out here in the country are DirecTV and Dish. I may subscribe to one or the other at some point, or may not. It’s not cheap, but the larger issue is deciding what I’d have to forego in order to spend a similar length of time in front of the TV.

Anyway, I’m curious about other folks that do not watch TV, and why they don’t watch it.

Short question: by no watching TV do you mean live TV or no movies/TV shows/documentaries at all?

Matz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
[doublepost=1530639535][/doublepost]

I mean no TV, live or otherwise. No replays of TV shows on other media (Netflix, etc). Nada.

I hadn’t considered movies as part of TV, as they are generally designed for the big screen - a theatre. But as it turns out, I’ve not watched any movies during that time, either.

I have a Blu-Ray player I’ve never used, that I may hook up to my TV and use if for watching movies. We’ll see.
Who knows, I may even sign up for DirecTV or Dish eventually. But for now, I dont miss having TV.
[doublepost=1530650028][/doublepost]It’s been interesting reading the variety of responses to this thread. And it appears a nerve or two may have been plucked along the way.

Lest anyone think I’m being some sort of purist about this - I’m not. I just happened to have come to a realization of what had taken place for me - someone who used to watch a lot of TV - and wondered how common such a thing is.

And I appreciate those who have replied to this thread taking the time to do so.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
There! That's settled.....just a matter of semantics, eh?

Now, now.

“I never cheat on my spouse! Well yeah, except for that time I did just before I left her/him.”
Just semantics.

“I never drink alcohol. Well yeah, except on Sundays at brunch of course.”
Just semantics.

“I’ve never smoked weed! Well yeah, except while in college of course.”
Just semantics.

“No officer I haven’t been drinking. I don’t drink. Oh, that odor? I just had a glass of white wine with dinner. But only one.”
Just semantics.

455AD8B2-66B9-42D1-B349-9A553C94D4D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mousse

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Actually not anymore.
iPlayer "catchup" TV is now considered fair game… at least according to the UK TV licensing authorities.

Really?!

Either way, personally, I don’t watch any TV programs at all but I just pay for it because I can’t be bothered to care about that amount and be restricted in case I wanted to watch something.

Edit - just checked, it doesn’t mention anything about catch up.

6d6bcfbe9cfcb7b56356b9fcf223bd29.png

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Well, at least from my perspective (not some formal licensing definition from the BBC), if you're consuming, non-theatrical originating programming, I consider that "TV" (quotes by design).

- Man in the Iron Castle on Amazon Prime via AppleTV, that's TV
- Handmaid's Tale on Hulu via iPad, also TV
- Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona on Fox Sports via cable + STB, TV!
- Local new via an antenna (OTA) ... I'm going with ... TV :D

Like I said in my initial post in this thread, I think it's kind of an interesting discussion topic, we've reached a point where the concept of TV is so nebulous, heck, even the television device, I haven't used the "TV tuner" portion in decades, our TVs are basically just giant monitors (2 don't even use the built-in speakers). I wish a few manufacturers made huge displays without tuners, or smart features, just a single HDMI port. :)

Reactions: Mousse and akash.nu

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think the only broadcast things I really watch now are big series like GoT, the odd documentary that catches my eye and the news. Indeed our main drawing room is proudly TV free! I don’t use Netflix or other similar services either - TV shows aren’t my go-to form of entertainment, though I do console game semi-regularly (moreso when the weather is bad in the winter) and that is on a TV...

Reactions: George Dawes

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
I haven't had a 'live' tv connection since about 2002 (in the UK that means no aerial in to the tv). I moved, the co-ax cable wasn't long enough so I extended it, but then immediately re-arranged the room and couldn't be arsed to change the cable again. I always meant to... It was never a proto-hipster no-tv rule, it was just initially being a lazy git then realising I wasn't missing anything.

I do watch online TV programmes, youtube and netflix (and used to watch DVDs then blu-rays). I think the difference is mostly that I have to make a positive decision to watch something, rather than just turning it on and letting whatever is on wash over me. It is interesting there are are entire cultural phenomena that you end up just missing (mostly reality shows, it seems).

I do like watching foreign TV in hotel rooms, mostly as background noise and acclimatisation.

(On the subject of the TV licence in the UK - I think the BBC is awesome, and am more than happy to pay the fee every year, even if it were just for bbc.co.uk.)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

KindOfDaz

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2018
Not only I do not watch TV anymore (unless at work, for therapeutic purposes, if required), but I also stopped (meaning I sent my declaration to the licensing office) about one year and a half ago! But, I must admit, at times of i.e. World Cup or Eurovision being on, I do miss my TV. Ah, never mind, I listen to the radio a lot instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
It's bizarre how we've gone from 4 channels to 104 and there's literally nothing worth watching

I watch YT and iTunes TV/Movies more than tv these days

Reactions: akash.nu

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Really?!

Either way, personally, I don’t watch any TV programs at all but I just pay for it because I can’t be bothered to care about that amount and be restricted in case I wanted to watch something.

Edit - just checked, it doesn’t mention anything about catch up.

6d6bcfbe9cfcb7b56356b9fcf223bd29.png
Here you go.
They are quite clear about it.

Don't know where you were looking. ;)

upload_2018-7-7_17-23-59.png

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

bauediemauer

Suspended
Jul 8, 2018
I don't watch TV shows as they air, but I do catch up on them later. About the only thing I actually watch on TV is the news and that's just to see how crime in my area is at any given time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.