Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isisism

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
Hello.

The question is can I use a 6tb drive in my early 2008 3,1 mac pro? If not, what is the largest drive I can use?

I have a 3,1 with an SSD boot drive in a pci slot and have a couple 2tb drives and a 1tb drive in 3 of the bays. I bought a 6tb drive without thinking there might be an issue using that size of a drive.

I put it in and it booted up fine and it said the drive needed to be initialized. Went into Disk Utility and before I could do anything the system crashed. After that I couldn't get it to boot up again. It just never got to the boot screen. Pulled out that drive and booted up fine.

I wanted to partition it into two 3tb partitions and I do have an external dock and was wondering if I were able to format and partition it into two 3tb partitions using the dock, would I then be able to use the 6tb drive in a bay?

Was also wondering if there is any increased power demand by the 6tb over say a 3tb?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.