Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
Quick question about these kexts and their installation.

Original post says to use kext utility to add Lilu.kext, then to add AppleALC.kext the same way. But elsewhere it is explained that any Lilu plugins are installed into Lilu's plugins folder. These seem to me to be different methods, but is the end result the same?

Once Kext Utility has installed Lilu.kext, does it then know to add a Lilu plugin into Lilu itself, or does it simply throw AppleALC.kext into /Library/Extensions? In which case, how can it then run as a Lilu plugin?

Does it actually matter whether a Lilu plugin is installed in /Library/Extensions or in Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext/Content/Plugins?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Quick question about these kexts and their installation.

Original post says to use kext utility to add Lilu.kext, then to add AppleALC.kext the same way. But elsewhere it is explained that any Lilu plugins are installed into Lilu's plugins folder. These seem to me to be different methods, but is the end result the same?

Once Kext Utility has installed Lilu.kext, does it then know to add a Lilu plugin into Lilu itself, or does it simply throw AppleALC.kext into /Library/Extensions? In which case, how can it then run as a Lilu plugin?

Does it actually matter whether a Lilu plugin is installed in /Library/Extensions or in Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext/Content/Plugins?

The results are the same. To keep things tidy, I prefer to place the plugins inside Lilu. Once the plugins are there, you only have to install Lilu (with the utility or terminal commands). I believe that the utility treats the plugins like any other kexts and places them inside /Library/Extensions. Even if the plugins are not inside Lilu, the system still knows that they depend on Lilu and they work just fine.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
Ah ok, so there's a dependency built-in that the system will recognise. That makes sense and I wondered if it were indeed the case. However, I like the idea of keeping them inside Lilu. As you say, nice and tidy. :)

I'll get testing everything tomorrow. Thanks again.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
Lilu and the AppleALC plugin currently constitute the state of the art for enabling audio on graphics cards. It's what I've been using since Mojave with my 8 GB Pulse RX580. It works perfectly.

Lilu is also useful for other fixes, such as making PCI drives appear as internal—the Innie plugin—and enabling Night Shift—the plugin (which, however, requires minor modifications to its code for compatibility with Mojave).

I've installed Lilu, Innie, NightShiftUnlocker and on my cMP 4,1=>5,1 with 10.14.1 and flashed HD7950 connected to LG 38WK95C-W (ultra wide) monitor set to DP 1.2 and displaying 3840x1600@60Hz.

Lilu has loaded with AppleALC and I now have an audio option for the DisplayPort.
Innie has also loaded, but no PCIe drive - yet. I'm planning ahead. :)
NightShiftUnlocker loaded but is not working, although whether that's a Mojave issue or a monitor issue I have not yet determined. I'll have to check with my ACD instead.

Interestingly, I can control the volume of any System Alert sounds that I direct to the monitor, with the volume controls in the System Prefs Sound panel, although the main output cannot be controlled by either the panel or the Menu bar or the keyboard keys. I understand the latter, but why can I control the Alert sounds volume? Not a big deal, just puzzled.

Also, some Alert sounds, er, don't. No sound when selected. Funk is one, but there are others, while most play ok. Not sure when this started, but another puzzle.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Works perfectly for me first time.
I didn't mess about with partly enabling SIP mine is off completely.
So running 10.14 build 18A391.
GPU is a Sapphire OC Radeon RX470 4GB. HDMI Triple DP UEFI.
Used to work, doesn't anymore but pretty sure it's on my end.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
NightShiftUnlocker loaded but is not working, although whether that's a Mojave issue or a monitor issue I have not yet determined.

The plugin requires a modification to work with Mojave. Until the original author updates the plugin, I'm including here my build, which should work.

The NightShiftUnlocker project seems to have been abandoned. Based on the original project, I've developed a new version compatible with Catalina.

NightShiftEnabler is a simple successor to the now apparently unmaintained "unlocker" plugin:

See the RELEASE version of the kext in the releases section of the project.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The plugin requires a modification to work with Mojave. Until the original author updates the plugin, I'm including here my build, which should work.

Just a quick question.

Should this kext also stay inside Lilu's Plugins folder?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I prefer it there, but it should also work if installed separately.

I see, thanks.

Anyway, tried a few different options, never work with my CHG90 (but work with the ACD). So, most likely my monitor isn't supported.

May be it's time to try F.lux again.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
I prefer it there, but it should also work if installed separately.

I thought I read somewhere that Kext Utility now places kexts in /Library/Extensions but in my case it placed them in /System/Library/Extensions which is not so desirable IMO. Shouldn't they work in either location?

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I don't know if this has been reported before, but, in any case, I am pleased to confirm that the AppleALC plus Lilu solution works just fine on a Mac Pro 5,1 with an AMD Radeon HD 7970 3072 MB and Mojave 10.14.1. I also installed Innie and NightShiftUnlocker along with Lilu. It would appear Innie interfered with the activation of my Paragon NTFS 15 for macOS, but reinstalling Paragon NTFS solved the issue.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK

In Lilu's Plugins folder I replaced NightShiftUnlocker 2.2.1 with your 2.2.1b (although info.plist still shows it as 2.2.1) and set correct perms and ownership.
System Information shows the later one (going by mod. date) as installed but not loaded.
I moved Lilu (with enclosed NSU etc) to /Library/Extensions.
System Information shows Lilu and NSU etc in the right place and that they're all loaded.
kextstat also shows that Lilu and NSU etc are loaded.

But I'm still not seeing any Night Shift options for this Apple Cinema Display in Sys. Prefs/Displays. I have not restarted, but the kext is obviously loaded. I ran Kext Utility to let it check permissions etc and reset caches. But still no NS for this ACD.

Is a restart required? I thought that having a kext loaded was the same as it being loaded on boot up. Of course I can simply restart, but unfamiliar as I am with manipulating kexts, I am intrigued to find out more about the process. As I understand it, kextload should do the same as a restart and in my case these kexts are showing as loaded and as far as I know NS should work on the ACD. Is NSU still not correctly functioning?

I cannot try AppleALC as the wide LG monitor had to go back as it was borrowed to test audio etc and I don't yet have a PCIe drive to check out Innie. So NSU is all I can test at the moment. Any comments?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
What is the purpose of kextload if a restart is required anyway?

That command is not needed for installing these kexts (see my approach here). It is, however, useful for other kexts that do not require a restart.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Used to work, doesn't anymore but pretty sure it's on my end.
So, after a re-install. An SMC reset and a double PRAM reset I've discovered that somehow SIP has turned itself back on. Have no idea how. Anyways it was a ⌘RS restart and into single user, (I did this about 3 times), to set the condition and double check I'd set it.
On the last instance I did not re-enable --without kext.

Boot back into the OS and SIP is enabled.

Any ideas anybody?

Thanks.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
So, after a re-install. An SMC reset and a double PRAM reset I've discovered that somehow SIP has turned itself back on. Have no idea how. Anyways it was a ⌘RS restart and into single user, (I did this about 3 times), to set the condition and double check I'd set it.
On the last instance I did not re-enable --without kext.

Boot back into the OS and SIP is enabled.

Any ideas anybody?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that a PRAM reset will automatically enable SIP. No way to get around that I believe.

It occurs to me that using the --without kext option might get around this as SIP is already enabled, even though allowing our kext mods and so it might escape being fully enabled when resetting PRAM, or installing updates etc. Just speculating on that though. I've not had to do either since restricting SIP in that way.
[doublepost=1542555924][/doublepost]
That command is not needed for installing these kexts (see my approach here). It is, however, useful for other kexts that do not require a restart.

A simple restart and the NightShift option is now available in the Displays panel. So even though the kext was loaded, a restart was still required to make it work. We live and learn.

Reactions: cdf

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I'm pretty sure that a PRAM reset will automatically enable SIP. No way to get around that I believe.

It occurs to me that using the --without kext option might get around this as SIP is already enabled, even though allowing our kext mods and so it might escape being fully enabled when resetting PRAM, or installing updates etc. Just speculating on that though. I've not had to do either since restricting SIP in that way.
[doublepost=1542555924][/doublepost]

A simple restart and the NightShift option is now available in the Displays panel. So even though the kext was loaded, a restart was still required to make it work. We live and learn.
I'd forgotten about that, but......However I did make the mods after all of those key combos but thanks for jogging my memory.

Ok, so just updating my own post for anybody else that has this problem.
Went through loads of stuff, multiple times;
  • PRAM/NVRAM reset.
  • SMC reset.
  • Multiple restarts with other drives and/or peripherals out.
  • Boot from HS and try it there.

The only thing that worked was putting my 5770 back in and doing it via the 10.13 recovery and then swapping back to the 470 and Mojave.
Beginning now to wonder if the recovery will be visible and usable in Mojave now and I hadn't been waiting long enough. It took over 5 mins and lots of screen flashing before it popped up in HS.

Last edited:

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
... I like Lilu's plugin options, will try out Innie and NightShiftUnlocker later.

So, got Innie and NightShiftUnlocker to work in 10.14.1 now too. I had to try it before the next Mojave update shows up.

I've prepared Lilu on my desktop first (put the 2.2.1b version of NSU provided by @cdf here and Innie v1.0.9 inside a newly created Plugins folder in Lilu.kext/Contents), then installed Lilu with Kext Utility in S/L/E and rebooted. Nice to have for the 24" Apple CD, also affects my 2nd monitor via mDP.

Sound Control is still on sale right now (40% off), bought it yesterday. Excellent replacement for Soundflower, highly recommended.

Attachments

• cMP:Mojave & NSU.png
    cMP:Mojave & NSU.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

SystemHasFailed

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
11) Reboot

N.B For Nvidia card users, you may need WhateverGreen.kext V1.2.3 (Link) as well. If the above steps doesn't work, you may install this kext (via kext utility) and try again.

After test, please leave a post and tell us your graphic card model with details. e.g. Sapphire PULSE RX580 8GB, but not just RX580.

And which OS you are running (with build number).

For Nvidia card users, please also state if you need WhateverGreen.kext to make it work. Million thanks in advance.

I'm presuming SIP needs to remain disabled?

GSXB

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
England
Hi all, I’ve used “innie and lilu” to correctly see my pci sm951 achi as an internal
? Do I add Apple alc and whatevergreen to the plugins folder inside lilu ...
To enable hdmi audio on a flashed gtx680
cMP 4.1-5.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.