Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mighty2nyce

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2019
I did that and it didn’t work. But luckily I was able to time machine to a few hours back and everything was okay. That **** had me scared smh. I’m supposed to getting the new RX 5700xt, should I have any problems with getting audio through hdmi with this one. It should have the newest drive and tech I’m assuming
Remove both Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext from System/Library/Extensions, then run Kext Utility to let it finish the maintenance job.

You may also perform a NVRAM reset (if you don't need web driver).

If still doesn't work, then it's not Lilu or AppleALC related, but you accidentally changed something else. And there is no way for me to tell what it is.
a

2GunMojo

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2019
hello...

newbie is an understatement so i appreciate any support patience you guys can muster.

i have tried to follow this as closely as i can...

I am running Mojave 10.14.5 on a mac pro 5,1 w/ a r280x flashed EFI.

i disabled sip, followed the instructions and my HDMI audio is not working on the TV i am connected to (nothing shows up in system settings).

any help would be great! aside from this annoyance the rest of my upgrade went fanstastic!

thanks

j

firedownunder

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Replaced an Asus GTX 650 that died with the MSI Gaming Edition RX 560 2GB. Asus HDMI worked (El Capitan) flawlessly with the old HDMI kext, used primarily for Plex. Upgraded to Sierra, no audio over HDMI. Replaced old kext with Lilu/AppleALC, everything loads, option available in Sound Prefs, still no audio. Tried every setting I can think of in Plex, tried Youtube, nothing works. Read somewhere the 560 doesn't support audio over HDMI, post on first page of this thread disproves that. Any suggestions? All thoughts/ideas welcome, thanks.

firedownunder

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Replaced an Asus GTX 650 that died with the MSI Gaming Edition RX 560 2GB. Asus HDMI worked (El Capitan) flawlessly with the old HDMI kext, used primarily for Plex. Upgraded to Sierra, no audio over HDMI. Replaced old kext with Lilu/AppleALC, everything loads, option available in Sound Prefs, still no audio. Tried every setting I can think of in Plex, tried Youtube, nothing works. Read somewhere the 560 doesn't support audio over HDMI, post on first page of this thread disproves that. Any suggestions? All thoughts/ideas welcome, thanks.

Bump. Added WhateverGreen kext, still no audio.

Last edited:

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
So, can report that this HDMI Audio fix still works in Catalina DP4 with R9 280X and my LE40B620 TV. I just had to update the components
Cat DP4 HDMI Audio.png

Notes: I didn't put NightShiftUnlocker in Lilu/Contents/Plugins again since this is handled by the current @dosdude1 patcher 1.0b11 already, and works fine. Should probably mention I'm also using this .plist in Library/LaunchDaemons by @ASentientBot to get read/write permissions, you can read more about it here.

Reactions: h9826790

firedownunder

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011

Fixed. Poster cdf's Innie kext (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/innie-a-fix-for-pci-drives-seen-as-external.2136229/) allowed me to update to High Sierra (10.13.6). HS installed with no issues (no APFS but no big deal). HDMI loaded but still didn't work so deleted AppleALC, reinstalled HDMIAudio 1.1, all good again. Thanks to all for their help. Cheers.

drac

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2004
New Zealand
A big thanks from me. Working on W3690 4.1-5.1, BootROM-144 with flashed MSI razor 680.

I followed the instructions including Whatevergreen, interestingly it required the HDMI cables to be pulled and replugged with the system live then the option appeared. Now outputting surround at 7.1 24bit/48kh.

firedownunder

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Fixed. Poster cdf's Innie kext (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/innie-a-fix-for-pci-drives-seen-as-external.2136229/) allowed me to update to High Sierra (10.13.6). HS installed with no issues (no APFS but no big deal). HDMI loaded but still didn't work so deleted AppleALC, reinstalled HDMIAudio 1.1, all good again. Thanks to all for their help. Cheers.

Update: Adding displayport connection resulted in loss of audio via hdmi. Re-loaded AppleALC kext, all is well again. FWIW, deleting HDMIAudio didn't take but no issues so didn't bother trying again. Cheers.

Kon_Kipa

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2016
Australia
Hi there all...

after some mucking around & tinkering I finally got my eGPU to work with my Mac mini 2011 model...

eGPU enclosure is a Mantiz Venus
nVidia GTX 680 4GB GFx Card
Mac mini mid 2011 2.7GHz i7
Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G7024)
eGPU enabled using the PurgeWrangler method (works perfectly fine but no HDMI Audio Passthrough)

I have followed the steps outlined at the beginning of this thread but no success....

anyone have any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 11.28.40 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 11.29.31 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 11.29.55 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 11.30.08 pm.png

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Just wanted to give a heads-up on my setup:

Mac Pro mid-2010
3.33 GHz
24 GB RAM
Sapphire Radeon 7950 Mac edition
macOS 10.14.6

I had been waiting for the (probably) last OS update for this Mac. It was possible that Apple would have made the HDMI Audio driver (like it seems happened on the Radeon 580), so that nu SIP had to be disabled for it to work.

As Apple hasn't made it a reality, I made use of:
AppleALC.kext V1.3.2
Lilu.kext V1.2.7
KextUtility V2.6.6
and it works perfectly.

Thx!

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Out of curiosity - not that I need HDMI Audio - I connected my ( Japan market only ) Display port to HDMI adaptor to my RX 580 8gb's DP port - then from the Adaptor to HDMI cable to an old Mitsubishi monitor's HDMI port.

I'm in Mojave 10.14.6 HFS+ ( full, clean install ) - no 3rd. party kexts installed.

I now see HDMI listed in my Audio output.

My T.V. is too far away from my cMP at the moment so I haven't tested yet.

HDMI audio working RX50-Mojave 10.14.6.jpg

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Out of curiosity - not that I need HDMI Audio - I connected my ( Japan market only ) Display port to HDMI adaptor to my RX 580 8gb's DP port - then from the Adaptor to HDMI cable to an old Mitsubishi monitor's HDMI port.

I'm in Mojave 10.14.6 HFS+ ( full, clean install ) - no 3rd. party kexts installed.

I now see HDMI listed in my Audio output.

Since 10.14.4, HDMI and DP audio is natively enabled for the RX 580.

What I find surprising here is that macOS sees the audio output type as "HDMI," even if the connection to the video card is DP. I just tried this myself with a DP to HDMI adapter and the output type is "DisplayPort." I wonder if this has to do with how different models of the RX 580 handle audio. Have you tried connecting the monitor directly to the HDMI port of the video card?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
cdf

Prior to last night my RX 580 connections were . . ..

DVI to DVI on an Iiyama monitor. - this monitor shows video first.

and . . . .

HDMI to HDMI on a Mitsubishi monitor.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Yes.
CORRECTION : "NO" no HDMI Audio when connected HDMI to HDMI

Last edited:
Reactions: cdf

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Since 10.14.4, HDMI and DP audio is natively enabled for the RX 580.

What I find surprising here is that macOS sees the audio output type as "HDMI," even if the connection to the video card is DP. I just tried this myself with a DP to HDMI adapter and the output type is "DisplayPort." I wonder if this has to do with how different models of the RX 580 handle audio. Have you tried connecting the monitor directly to the HDMI port of the video card?

My monitor audio with DP connection is indicated as DisplayPort.

Audio - DP.png

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Synchro3

Is your RX 580 connected DP to Display Port on your Acer Nitro XV273K 4k monitor ?

My RX 580 is connected to HDMI ( no DP port )

That might explain it.

=====================================
By the way, that Acer looks nice. has Display port 1.4 + Mini-Dp + HDMI 2.0.

How much was it ?

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Synchro3

Is your RX 580 connected DP to Display Port on your Acer Nitro XV273K 4k monitor ?

My RX 580 is connected to HDMI ( no DP port )

That might explain it.

=====================================
By the way, that Acer looks nice. has Display port 1.4 + Mini-Dp + HDMI 2.0.

How much was it?

Yes, it's connected DP to DP.

Yes, I like the Acer XV273K. No Mini-DP, two normal DP 1.4 and two HDMI 2.0b ports: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/407f14c5 It was around $1000.-.

I use all monitor ports: One DP for the Mac Pro, one DP for my PC with GTX 1080 Ti, one HDMI for the Mac Mini 2018 and one HDMI for the Raspberry PI 4. Audio working with all ports. The monitor supports Nvidia G-Sync and AMD FreeSync, and has no fan.

Last edited:

Kon_Kipa

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2016
Australia
Hi there all...

after some mucking around & tinkering I finally got my eGPU to work with my Mac mini 2011 model...

eGPU enclosure is a Mantiz Venus
nVidia GTX 680 4GB GFx Card
Mac mini mid 2011 2.7GHz i7
Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G7024)
eGPU enabled using the PurgeWrangler method (works perfectly fine but no HDMI Audio Passthrough)

I have followed the steps outlined at the beginning of this thread but no success....

anyone have any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

View attachment 850931 View attachment 850932 View attachment 850933 View attachment 850934
So after some mucking around etc, i swapped the GFx card to a Radeon Vega Frontier 16GB & for some reason audio passthrough works perfectly on Mac OS X 10.13.6, couldnt get it to work with 10.14.6 but i guess thats another issue...

Overall i am very pleased that my eGPU works & my mid 2011 Mac Mini has been restored back to life

iciconnect

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Florida
thunder72fr made a post in the PULSE RX580 ROM study thread about that he can get HDMI audio working properly in Mojave with just Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext installed.

I further tested it on my own cMP and confirmed it can work. And the process is simpler than HDMIAudio.kext + AppleHDA.kext patch.
screenshot-2018-10-14-at-03-36-36-png.794671

screenshot-2018-10-14-at-03-35-45-png.794672

However, I have no idea if this method also work on any other cards. If we can confirm this method work on most cards, or figured out the specific conditions, then I think I can put this method in the sticky thread.

So, if anyone looking for HDMI / Displayport audio, please try the following steps.

1) Disable SIP (in my case, I disabled Gatekeeper as well, not sure if make any difference)

2) Make sure HDMIAudio.kext is NOT installed. If it's installed, REMOVE it from the System/Library/Extension folder.

3) Make sure the AppleHDA.kext is NOT patched. If not, revert it (you should always make a backup of the original kext before patch it)

4) Download AppleALC.kext V1.3.2 (Link)

5) Download Lilu.kext V1.2.7 (Link)

6) Download KextUtility V2.6.6 (Link)

7) Unzip everything

8) Open Kext Utility (enter your admin password as required), it will auto perform some maintenance job, let it finish. You will see something like this
screenshot-2018-10-14-at-03-46-47-png.794679

9) Drag Lilu.kext into the Kext Utility window. Again, enter password as required, and let it finish its job.
screenshot-2018-10-14-at-03-47-39-png.794678

10) Drag AppleALC.kext into Kext Utility windows, enter password as required, and let it finish its job
screenshot-2018-10-14-at-03-49-04-png.794682

11) Reboot

N.B For Nvidia card users, you may need WhateverGreen.kext V1.2.3 (Link) as well. If the above steps doesn't work, you may install this kext (via kext utility) and try again.

After test, please leave a post and tell us your graphic card model with details. e.g. Sapphire PULSE RX580 8GB, but not just RX580.

And which OS you are running (with build number).

For Nvidia card users, please also state if you need WhateverGreen.kext to make it work. Million thanks in advance.

This was a nice try for me. But for some reason I'm still have sound issues with HDMI sound no matter what device I attach to my 2009 4,1 (Firmware updated to 5,1) running Mojave. There's allot of distortion; cutouts in sound, popping and garble. But only from YouTube videos while using Safari.

AndroUmeda

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2019
Hello everyone of this forum. I did everything as explained on the first page. Disabled SIP and installed AppleALC and LILU. For me it does not work. I can't find any hdmi related voice in Sound menu selection and HDMI audio is not present at all. I noticed from System info, both AppleALC and LILU are installed but are NOT enabled. What should I do? However my Mac OS is old, because of professional audio hardware compatibility reason and I can't upgrade. I'm running both Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Yosemite 10.10.5 and wish to have anyway audio on HDMI output of my Radeon R9 280X. My Mac Pro is 4.1 --> 5.1 Dual X5670 Westmere Xeons and 32 GB of memory. Thanks for any help.

GSXB

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
England
Hello everyone of this forum. I did everything as explained on the first page. Disabled SIP and installed AppleALC and LILU. For me it does not work. I can't find any hdmi related voice in Sound menu selection and HDMI audio is not present at all. I noticed from System info, both AppleALC and LILU are installed but are NOT enabled. What should I do? However my Mac OS is old, because of professional audio hardware compatibility reason and I can't upgrade. I'm running both Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Yosemite 10.10.5 and wish to have anyway audio on HDMI output of my Radeon R9 280X. My Mac Pro is 4.1 --> 5.1 Dual X5670 Westmere Xeons and 32 GB of memory. Thanks for any help.
Follow the instructions on this post
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/innie-a-fix-for-pci-drives-seen-as-external.2136229/
And place applALC in the plugins folder
As described in post nine follow the terminal
Commands and it should work

AndroUmeda

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2019
Follow the instructions on this post
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/innie-a-fix-for-pci-drives-seen-as-external.2136229/
And place applALC in the plugins folder
As described in post nine follow the terminal
Commands and it should work

Thanks a lot. So the procedure to adopt is to install the two kext Appe ALC and LILU with KextUtils anyway, then move Apple ALC from Extension folfer to Plugin folder and then running that terminal commands from the post nine? Should it work so, also for Mountain Lione and Yosemite?

AndroUmeda

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2019
Further question. On 10.10.5 how can I check if SIP is really disabled?
There is no voice about SIP status under System info-software. And if I write this command on terminal:
$ csrutil status
I get Command not found.

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I learned that before El Capitan , there was no SIP on Mac OS. So my two operating systems have no SIP setting at all? So I have nothing to disable before installing the kext?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.