Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
I contacted Apple Support--usually that's a good thing, not this time.

This time, the help suggested I turn my phone off and back on. I noted I'd done that already, more than once.

The next option: erase everything, reset to factory, and start from scratch.

When I balked at that, the 'support' said that we'd exhausted all of our other options, and that I had obviously messed up something when backing up.

Ended that 'support' call.

abeasom

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013

This time, the help suggested I turn my phone off and back on. I noted I'd done that already, more than once.

When I balked at that, the 'support' said that we'd exhausted all of our other options, and that I had obviously messed up something when backing up.

Kind of what I got when I called a few weeks ago. Had me do a hard reset too. Told me to erase and restore. I said that’s not a good solution because it’s nothing short of an inconvenience and waste of time. They responded with its the only solution they had, but wouldn’t guarantee me it would fix the issue.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Kind of what I got when I called a few weeks ago. Had me do a hard reset too. Told me to erase and restore. I said that’s not a good solution because it’s nothing short of an inconvenience and waste of time. They responded with its the only solution they had, but wouldn’t guarantee me it would fix the issue.

Another Apple Support today said they want to install software on my phone so the engineers can track my app for a few days and see if they can figure out the problem. I'm not terribly excited about that idea either.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
So I decided to erase and try restoring from a day-old Mac backup--and it worked!

It did screw up some stuff on my watch, and now my music from my personal library isn't all on there like it was before, but the 1.61TB is gone.

So, it's a draw. I'm sharing now to let others read another person who eventually got rid of the impossible-storage-amount problem, too. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.