Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Ended up returning the AirPods Pro today. Couldn’t stand that “Vacum” plugged pressure in my ear even with transperancy enabled. The AirPods Gen 2 are better in my opinion. Sound wise, the AirPods pro are quite disappointing as well because other than slightly tighter bass the sound is very similar to the AirPods 2 minus the noise canceling obviously. I really wanted to love them but I just prefer the AirPods 2nd gen.

fish09276

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
Is it normal? It really bothers me even in transparency mode when I have the AirPods Pro in my ear and nothing is playing. Does one get used to that or is it always going to feel that way?
Exactly. I used my new ones running today and heard my body hit the ground every footstep. Especially evident on low volume passages of music. I found the same issue with the wireless beats. It’s like body conduction in the ear canal. I had to go back to old AirPods. Which aren’t inserted deep in ear canal. Very weird phenomenon

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Exactly. I used my new ones running today and heard my body hit the ground every footstep. Especially evident on low volume passages of music. I found the same issue with the wireless beats. It’s like body conduction in the ear canal. I had to go back to old AirPods. Which aren’t inserted deep in ear canal. Very weird phenomenon
I listened to my Gen 2 Airpods on my commute back from work today and i cant stress enough how much BETTER they are than the AirPods pro that i returned today. No ear pressure, no discomfort of any kind. No noise cancelation obviously but i can live without that, I really wanted to love and convince myself the AirPods Pro were better but that isn't the case IMO.

Kaffebreak

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2016
I took mine for a test walk today and felt exactly the same, hearing my own steps, just like I did with PowerBeatsX before. BUT as soon as I activated the ANC that totally went away. So this "problem" only exists if you turn of ANC. At least for me

cmascatello

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
I don't have either model, mainly because I've seen/heard enough that "yep - problem still a problem for me".

When the holiday return window starts, maybe I'll try them on a flyer, but not optimistic based upon what I'm hearing (due to this specific issue).

I'm probably just going to look for a deal on some Gen2's to replace my Gen1's which are nearly toast (battery).

For outdoors/working out, I actually still use wired B&O Earset 3's
At the gym I even still use an iPod shuffle! (gasp! - lol)

This is one thing that drives me insane about the disposable nature of AirPods.

My B&O's I've had for like 10 years maybe? I would have to go look it's been so long..
And they just keep working and sounding great.. It's very nice..

bang_olufsen_1108426_earset_3i_with_remote_1426765904_1127447.jpg
Wired headphones/earbuds eliminate most of the "thump" we are talking about. Especially ones that have over-ear hooks or cables run over the top of the ear (most IEMs). The walking vibration terminates on the outside of the ear and does not pass to the inner ear.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
i guess ymmv. i get this with my beatsx and pretty much every sealed in-ear headphones (wired or not). i’ve gotten used to it but i specifically noticed it lessened or even disappeared with these new airpods when i had the ANC on. in fact it was an unexpected bonus to the overall experience.

Reactions: jbachandouris

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
I have this with my B&Os, however with the right fitting tips and maybe replacing with foam tips, you can withdraw them slowly from the ear till it resolves the issue.

i found with practice you can insert to the correct depth which will remove the thumping and the buds remain in your ear.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Wired headphones/earbuds eliminate most of the "thump" we are talking about.

I'm not sure which sound you are referring to, because the "thump" when walking/running that bothers me is absolutely not kept at bay by wired headphones and is positively awful with every single in-ear bud I've ever tried.

I will still try APP when the holiday return window opens however.
One can never know about things like this without trying them yourself.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
Yes, there is a thump also with the APpro because it`s inEar. It does not go away with NC because it`s a physical phenomenon, it is less distracting with transp. on because you are not so absorbed to the "inner" thumb.
May disturb while walking and is definetely irritating when running/sports.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It most likely happens when you don’t have a good fit of the ear tips.

filteq

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
I have experienced the same problem mine. The thumping with each footstep was apparent from the start. I tried to get use to it on a run this weekend, but ended up going back home and switching them out for the original AirPods. I like the APP for around the house, but they don’t work for me when walking/running, etc.

I also noticed that Transparency mode seemed to amplify wind noise when outside as well. It was a breezy day, but when I switched to the original AirPods the wind noise that I heard previously was no longer apparent.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i have the same problem with my jabra elite 65t. they also create a vacuum and i can hear every step.

interestingly enough i don't get a vaccum with the Airpod Pro and did not notice this thump problem on the treadmill. (ANC was turned on, but i don't think that should change anything....)

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Is it normal? It really bothers me even in transparency mode when I have the AirPods Pro in my ear and nothing is playing. Does one get used to that or is it always going to feel that way?
I don’t experience this with any of my in ear or over ear noise cancelling Headphones. I have two over ear and three in ear types.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
Everythone is experiencing a "thump" with InEars while walking, jogging or even (like me in the sportsRoutine) badly on the vibrationPlate…
Some are sensitive – some are insensible = not aware of…

Its physically cause of the transmission of movement – feet, body hitting something and the vibration of the APpro inside the ear.
Apple optimized it with the "openess" and with the earTips (for most users it does fit without too much penetration). It appears not that extreme with transp.mode because the sound from outside covers the inside-bone-thump.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization

It is normal, you will get used to it. It happens with every good sealing earphones, specially when you run with them.

It is not caused by the earphones, it is caused by your body conducting sound (from the thump of your feet hitting the ground) trough your leg bones to your head. That sound is always there, but you do not notice it because its volume is low and your attention is geared towards outside noises (just like you usually do not hear your own heart beating).

When the earphones block outside noise, your brain suddenly notice this sound much more.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I assume this exact issue also exists with the PowerBeats Pro, yeah?

I use the largest tips on the powerbeats pro and don't really notice it so much. The large tip doesn't shove in my ear so far and seal it up. I might lose some bass with this but they are already bass heavy so it is fine.

rockingrick

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2014
I also have the thump noise problem when walking. Also, if I'm just sitting down with ANC or or off, theres noise when I move my head. Also, I can hear my heart beat. I'm wanna try the comply ones on eBay to see if all of that goes away.

Last edited:

golfgrouch

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Venice, CA
What's interesting is that there are lots of AirPods Pro reviews for running on YouTube and none of them mention this bone conduction issue. Is it possible that some people aren't affected? I definitely can't run comfortably with the AirPods Pro sealed properly.

stanft

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
I have the same problems. The bone conduction is reduced if ANC or transparency mode is activated but it's still there during walking, head movement, etc.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
Everythone is experiencing a "thump" with InEars while walking, jogging or even (like me in the sportsRoutine) badly on the vibrationPlate…
Some are sensitive – some are insensible = not aware of…

Its physically cause of the transmission of movement – feet, body hitting something and the vibration of the APpro inside the ear.
Apple optimized it with the "openess" and with the earTips (for most users it does fit without too much penetration). It appears not that extreme with transp.mode because the sound from outside covers the inside-bone-thump.

Me and other found out, that the inward-NC that apple engineered to compensate the bone conduction fails after some time. The failing micro/blocked vents are then also indicated with a failed "Passtest" – Look at the thread:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.