Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanft

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
Me and other found out, that the inward-NC that apple engineered to compensate the bone conduction fails after some time. The failing micro/blocked vents are then also indicated with a failed "Passtest"

That may be true for some but I hear bone conduction even if ANC is activated ... and my "pass test" has never failed.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
That may be true for some but I hear bone conduction even if ANC is activated ... and my "pass test" has never failed.

…like I explained: failing passtest is only an indicator – cause of bone-conduction-noise etc. must be failing inward-NC, because this technic should compensate this.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
I dont know if it's just me but the thomping noise is something that the airpods pro's fixed for me whenever I am running or walking around in noise cancelling mode.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I do not have the thump with my APPs. I was scared I would. I had it and a chewing issue with the Galaxy Buds.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
I have it, and I hate it! I hear everything in my body, as well as my heartbeat. When I'm at my office working, it's a constant low frequent noise in my ears, due to movements of my head.
As it is now, I can't use my APP.

It's NOT all in-ears that do this! I have used a LOT of ANC headphones, and these are the worst regarding this issue. At the momen I have to use my torn out Phiaton BT 220 – problem is that the mic is broken on that one... :(

However, it IS strange – The "thumping" issue wasn't there from the beginning. I bought these 6 weeks ago, and I first experienced this problem two weeks ago, or something like that. I have factory restored the pods, to no avail.

IRF

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2020
It is because your vents facing the inner section of your ears is clogged up! This is what listening to that sounds and counter them basically! Check your fit test, i bet it fails too. You can join us here, welcome aboard the beta test of a flawed product:

Reactions: carlsson

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
It is because your vents facing the inner section of your ears is clogged up! This is what listening to that sounds and counter them basically! Check your fit test, i bet it fails too. You can join us here, welcome aboard the beta test of a flawed product:

Thanks. Fit test works though. I have tried that several times, and it has worked almost every time.

I will try and clean them, do you use any special method? I am thinking pressurised air, but I don't want to pressure dirt *into* the pods... ?

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
It was impossible to clean in a "normal" way, so I used an air compressor to blow out the invisible dust particles or whatever was in there.

And Now They Sound Good Again! :D

Thanks for the advise!

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010

What are you talking about lol, the fit test comes up as perfect and has nothing to do with what this thread is about

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
This “thumping” sounds, strange enough, went away for a few days, when I got my Airpods Pro replaced.

But then it came back! The Airpods were using the latest firmware all along. What a weird phenomenon.

The story is actually longer.

The left Airpod started making static noise. I complained, they shipped a new left Airpod.

Now the left ear had perfect ANC, but right ear was letting some grumbles through. In particular the stomping feet, and the generator of my hybrid car. Only the right side. This was extremely distracting, as the noise profile was asymmetric. Like someone inside my head, near the right ear, making my skull rumble in low frequencies.

So, I called about this and got the right Airpod changed too.

For the first few days it was a bliss. No feet stomps, no rumbling from the hybrid car. Silent like a good library.

And then it came back. I can hear the low rumble of the engine, and I can hear my feet, every step. Other than that, the ANC is pretty good, but walking and driving are the primary use cases for ANC for me, so I’ll always notice the problem.

As far I can see, nothing changed, except time passed. I can swear on every holy book out there that ANC was better out of the box. That’s the whole reason for the asymmetric ANC after the first Airpod was replaced, causing the other side to be replaced too.

Since all 4 of these pods were using the latest firmware, I can’t even blame that as the reason. Maybe the phone sends a stupid ANC configuration to the pods, after they’ve been use for a while. Or something. I don’t know.

But on Monday I’ll call them again and complain. Probably to no avail, since at this point it’ll be considered a feature and not a bug. Can’t be changing to a new pair every week.

Anyone who says that foot stomps are “normal” on Airpods Pro, should try a fresh pair out of the box and observe it gone. Because it was gone. First on the left, then on both, and now on neither side... Hmph.

Last edited:

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Mine just started this thumping a few days ago. One thing I notice is that the airpods seem to always have its mic open. ie i can lightly touch it an hear it very loudly regardless of what NR mode its on

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I chatted with apple support yesterday and they sent me new airpods (they arrived overnighted) them. The fit test passed on the first time through, whereas i couldn't get the old ones to work (even when using the new one's tips).

So, I'm going to go out and do a brisk walk and see how they go.

Unf this also came with a hiccup, as Apple processed it as a purchase via apple care and not a replacement.
I rec'd a box with 2 packages in it, each with an airpod and directions on how to repack and send, but no shipping label.

I log on to my account and it says my repair is done and I don't have to send anything back. great, but I don't want to shell out $192 for these.

Back to apple chat.....they forwared my info to claims dept and shoud hear from them in 2 days....ugh

ED: so far so good, they seem 100% better....time will tell I think

Last edited:

samkal

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
This “thumping” sounds, strange enough, went away for a few days, when I got my Airpods Pro replaced.

But then it came back! The Airpods were using the latest firmware all along. What a weird phenomenon.

The story is actually longer.

The left Airpod started making static noise. I complained, they shipped a new left Airpod.

Now the left ear had perfect ANC, but right ear was letting some grumbles through. In particular the stomping feet, and the generator of my hybrid car. Only the right side. This was extremely distracting, as the noise profile was asymmetric. Like someone inside my head, near the right ear, making my skull rumble in low frequencies.

So, I called about this and got the right Airpod changed too.

For the first few days it was a bliss. No feet stomps, no rumbling from the hybrid car. Silent like a good library.

And then it came back. I can hear the low rumble of the engine, and I can hear my feet, every step. Other than that, the ANC is pretty good, but walking and driving are the primary use cases for ANC for me, so I’ll always notice the problem.

As far I can see, nothing changed, except time passed. I can swear on every holy book out there that ANC was better out of the box. That’s the whole reason for the asymmetric ANC after the first Airpod was replaced, causing the other side to be replaced too.

Since all 4 of these pods were using the latest firmware, I can’t even blame that as the reason. Maybe the phone sends a stupid ANC configuration to the pods, after they’ve been use for a while. Or something. I don’t know.

But on Monday I’ll call them again and complain. Probably to no avail, since at this point it’ll be considered a feature and not a bug. Can’t be changing to a new pair every week.

Anyone who says that foot stomps are “normal” on Airpods Pro, should try a fresh pair out of the box and observe it gone. Because it was gone. First on the left, then on both, and now on neither side... Hmph.
My experience is very similar to yours, I just had my Airpods Pro replaced and the new pair had a vastly reduced thumping sound. After a week of usage, it has come back oddly. I'm on firmware 2B588 but this happened on 2C54 too.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You get that "thumping" when you have a good seal and the ANC is on. Turn it off and see if the "thumping" is still there.

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
I got the second replacements today. Thumping noises are again gone, using the same tips the same way on the same phone. ANC is better at filtering subwoofer level rumbles.

Let’s see how long this lasts. These came with 2B588.

Serial number is showing “1”. Oh well.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I hear it when I have transparency on without music. It doesn’t bother me but it sounds like amplified footsteps. I don’t wear mine unless I’m using them for music or a call so normally not problematic for me

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem. I have it with any in-ear headset. I’ve tried a lot of solutions and found two that actually reduce the noise. I walk 5 miles very morning for exercise (Post surgery recovery and weight loss). Talking with my podiatrist about ankle pain, he told me I’m walking wrong. I was slapping my feet on the ground when I walk, like having big old clown feet. He said to roll my feet. In other words step on heel first and roll to toe then plush off toe. Its been much easier on my ankles and back. In doing this I’ve noticed a dramatic reduction in the booming foot noise as I walk. I also tried adjusting the position of the APP in my ear by twisting them slightly so the lower portion (stem) is pointing more towards my shoulder as opposed to straight down or even a bit forward. I’m not an audiologist, I just know what works for me. I use them with noise cancellation selected.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Its always good to find a thread like this and realise its not just you!

What's really strange is that I'm sure I didn't notice this at first - I've had them since launch and have run a fair bit during that time. I know you get something similar with anything in-ear, but the AirPods Pro seem worse, regardless of setting.

I'm probably going to pick up a pair of PowerbeatsPro for running and use these for everything else.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Change shoes :) I have the same however when I am wearing sport shoes, softer, it drastically reduces the effect.

The thump comes from several things such as pressure in ear and the resonance and sound conductivity the bones.
It also depends on the health of your nose/ear/eyes.

I have chronic sinusitis thus the pressure in my ears sometimes gets high during colder seasons. Then I can even hear my heartbeat sometimes in my ear besides the walking thump.

Reactions: ascender

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I have this with all in ear headphones, but it’s a lot worse when running (surprise surprise)

I can stand it when walking, but choose not to wear them if doing sport. I use bone conductor earphones instead.

Although there is probably a scientific reason, I’ve put it down to just being one of those things that some people get and others don’t.

The issue is with how I’m made, not how the AirPods are made.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Its always good to find a thread like this and realise its not just you!
Sometimes its not, because...
I'm sure I didn't notice this at first
...the finicky nature of enthusiast forums can ‘create’ problems that weren’t there. ?

I’ve gotten used to the thumping in the rare times I have no music etc. playing (which drowns it out anyway). There are too many positives to let this bring me down...

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Oh, I totally understand the phenomenon of not noticing an issue or going looking for one after reading it on forums, but in this case its really pronounced and I've been using them nearly every day for running since launch. I do have a bit of a cold so maybe its that? I've always noticed it faintly when walking on certain surfaces which is fine, but the running noise is doing my head in!

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
Oh, I totally understand the phenomenon of not noticing an issue or going looking for one after reading it on forums, but in this case its really pronounced and I've been using them nearly every day for running since launch. I do have a bit of a cold so maybe its that? I've always noticed it faintly when walking on certain surfaces which is fine, but the running noise is doing my head in!

Check the other thread with firmware issues. There’s at least two ongoing theories about what’s wrong with the ANC.

One is the firmware. The other is the very fine mesh on the APPs, it gets blocked easily, resulting in an amplified low frequency rumble/stomping. Bone conducting sounds come back with a vengeance. It gets worse than regular passive in-ears, I’ve had many.

By amplified I mean this: my car engine sounds louder with ANC on. The subwoofer register does. Especially the right side, which gets blocked faster (see below).

To me it seems like a design glitch. I’ve had 3 pairs of APPs and each one went worse after a week of use.

Cleaning the grills with clean Blu-Tack helps. For a day or few.

I keep my ears clean. But I sleep with my APPs on. More on the right ear. And so the right side APP gets worse quicker.

I just hope the new firmware would somehow make the mesh blocking less of a parameter in what the ANC does. Because the mesh design they can’t fix over the air.

If not, I’ll replace these once more on warranty and sell them off, maybe trying again next year.

I use my Bose NC700s as a benchmark. When new, APPs sound good enough to stand up against the Boses when driving. Also with new replacements, they do. But after a week, the engine rumble and road bumps become annoyingly loud and each time I’ve reverted to Boses for long commuting.

There will be people who don’t notice any difference. Try replacing them on warranty, the replacements are better. For a while. Compare them against good over-the-ear ANC when new, and then after a month. There will be a difference, unless you’re happy with a potato as a headphone.

Like said, I’ve replaced them twice, so by now I have plenty of before/after experience to make an observation. The support does acknowledge a firmware fix that’s upcoming, so they recommended I don’t do a third replacement, but wait instead. So I will. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: ascender
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.