Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magic Boy

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2020
Hi there my learned friends of Apple-ness!
I’m sooo pleased it’s not just me hearing the dull thud thud thud!
Got my AirPod pros last week and listened sitting down etc and wow, thought yes this is perfect. As a long distance runner couldn’t wait to give them a spin then found immediately of the “Footsteps of Doom” ringing through my ears.
Amazon purchased and as we speak Amazon sent me a replacement set out today. Still have to send one pair back.
So now have 2 new sets. Also have tried earhooks. I’ve tried every single possible permutation, ANC, on, off, all ear tip sizes and always thinking footsteps UNTIL I ran without the ear tips in and voila! Problem gone.
But the sound is not as good due to ear tup channelling the sound and they fall out easily due to hardly any grip. So pop the ear hooks on and they fit super nice but the sound is not as clear.
I really think our dear Apple didn’t get anyone to run in there,either soft or hard with there in or if they did should have found real time real world conditions for various runners to test
Thank you in advance my good people.

Last edited:
Reactions: carlsson

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Hi there my learned friends of Apple-ness!
I’m sooo pleased it’s not just me hearing the dull thud thud thud!
Got my AirPod pros last week and listened sitting down etc and wow, thought yes this is perfect. As a long distance runner couldn’t wait to give them a spin then found immediately of the “Footsteps of Doom” ringing through my ears.
Amazon purchased and as we speak Amazon sent me a replacement set out today. Still have to send one pair back.
So now have 2 new sets. Also have tried earhooks. I’ve tried every single possible permutation, ANC, on, off, all ear tip sizes and always thinking footsteps UNTIL I ran without the ear tips in and voila! Problem gone.
But the sound is not as good due to ear tup channelling the sound and they fall out easily due to hardly any grip. So pop the ear hooks on and they fit super nice but the sound is not as clear.
I really think our dear Apple didn’t get anyone to run in there,either soft or hard with there in or if they did should have found real time real world conditions for various runners to test
Thank you in advance my good people.
I just went out for a run yesterday and they stayed in my ears just fine with the M ear tips. And there was no “Footsteps of Doom” either. I had the Transparency Mode ON and even ran as fast as I could and they stayed in my ears all along. I only had that clicking sound with the footsteps occur once and wiping it with a cloth solved it. Maybe you don’t have a good fit.

It’s kinda funny though that you just signed up and this was your first post 10 mins later.

Magic Boy

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2020
“I just went out for a run yesterday and they stayed in my ears just fine with the M ear tips. And there was no “Footsteps of Doom” either. I had the Transparency Mode ON and even ran as fast as I could and they stayed in my ears all along”😩
I don’t have any issues with them staying in

Maybe you don’t have a good fit. 😂😂
I think I do.

It’s kinda funny though that you just signed up and this was your first post 10 mins later. 😂😂😂
What are you on about? I searched online to find if anyone else had this problem and guess what......I found this forum/thread.......and guess what..........I had to join to post a reply.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I wish it was only the thumbing for me. If I am out and about walking and my playlist ends (silence) and I have ANC on, I immediately get like a dizzy feeling and want to vomit lol I need to take one out or switch off ANC right away

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I get that with all headphones, it’s lessened when I disable ANC but it doesn’t bother me too much.

delidiwane

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
I had no such problems since last week i noticed my steps drumming in my ear. Today i have tested the APP of my friend and with his APP there is no problem but my APP's have the problem since last week that i can hear my steps drumming in my ear. :(

Reactions: Rocko99991

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
I had no such problems since last week i noticed my steps drumming in my ear. Today i have tested the APP of my friend and with his APP there is no problem but my APP's have the problem since last week that i can hear my steps drumming in my ear. :(
That is odd that the same product varies like that. I use the regular Airpods(not pro) with foam doughnuts for jogging/walking/hiking and there is zero thumping.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
Me and other found out, that the inward-NC that apple engineered to compensate the bone conduction fails after some time. The failing micro/blocked vents are then also indicated with a failed "Passtest" – Look at the thread:

…you may fix the clogged vents – read throug this and the other thread how to…

isotropic

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Is it normal? It really bothers me even in transparency mode when I have the AirPods Pro in my ear and nothing is playing. Does one get used to that or is it always going to feel that way?
I wish I had known about this. My wife gifted me a pair and they are absolutely impossible to wear while running for two reasons. The deafening "thump" which I cannot get over and the fact that they actually fall off my ears. My regular AirPods have never fallen of my ears in two years of running. But the "thump" drives me crazy. The regular AirPods give me zero "thump"

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I wish I had known about this. My wife gifted me a pair and they are absolutely impossible to wear while running for two reasons. The deafening "thump" which I cannot get over and the fact that they actually fall off my ears. My regular AirPods have never fallen of my ears in two years of running. But the "thump" drives me crazy. The regular AirPods give me zero "thump"
Yup, regular AirPods are far superior for that reason alone (at least for me)

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Stand, Take a shoe off and thud your heal on the floor with noise canceling on. Ok now do the same and Put 2 fingers on the top of your ear lobes and push up and in until you stop hearing your foot as much (it shouldn’t take much).

How much did that help?

Your ears are floppy and the human body has quite a bit of bone conduction going on. It’s also possible some people here have defects in the bone surrounding your cochlea or a high riding juggler bulb (which makes that side more sensitive). Its things that happen, and it’s often single sided.

Check the top vents of your AirPod Pro’s too. There’s been people saying regardless of the version they get clogged. And apparently the top vent is to provide noise cancellation for your ear (something a lot of ANC devices miss). That being blocked would probably effect the loudness of your footsteps.

Lmd700

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2022
Sorry if this has been answered will they replace for this thumping? Mine are 4 months old and the thumping comes and goes, i made an appointment for today! Thank you

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I'd like to followup on my original post here and ask whether this issue has been rectified with the new AirPods Pro 2? id appreciate any feedback from these of you that bought the new Pro Airpods 2

Last edited:
Reactions: eekcat

hoo-man-b-ing

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2022
I'd like to followup on my original post here and ask whether this issue has been rectified with the new AirPods Pro 2? id appreciate any feedback for these of you that bought the new Pro Airpods
Two things I noted that haven’t been mentioned elsewhere when comparing the two generations:
1. Thumping of walking is gone (or at least greatly diminished depending on how jarring the movement is)
2. Can no longer hear my pulse (I wonder if this feature resulted in all of those fitness related rumors

Those two features are actually more important to me than the ones highlighted in their presentation.

Reactions: eekcat and carlsson

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
I hope this is true about Gen 2. I haven’t tried mine outside while running yet. The OG APP were awful for me as far as hearing my steps. The beats fit pro we’re amazing for me with this. They are my go-to workout device.

Hope the new ones are the same as BFP.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Two things I noted that haven’t been mentioned elsewhere when comparing the two generations:
1. Thumping of walking is gone (or at least greatly diminished depending on how jarring the movement is)
2. Can no longer hear my pulse (I wonder if this feature resulted in all of those fitness related rumors

Those two features are actually more important to me than the ones highlighted in their presentation.
What do you think is the reason the issue was rectified (or at-least based on your personal experience) with the new AirPods Pro 2? Do the new airpods pro 2 have a new vented design of some sort? if its the same fully sealed mechanism as the first version of the airpods pro then i'd assume the issue would still be there unless Apple made design changes to the product to rectify the issue on a fundamental level

hoo-man-b-ing

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2022
Could be a hardware change, but if I were implementing it, I’d use the new internal mic (not the external one used for calls) and machine learning embedded in the H2 chip to cancel out repetitive, easily identifiable and trainable sounds (like walking “thumps” and heart beat pulses.)

Plus, that noise cancellation implementation then scales across other future similar products. And having an ML model that can confidently identify signals like that can be repurposed for other uses, like measuring beats per minute without the need of an Apple Watch.

Reactions: asdex

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
What do you think is the reason the issue was rectified (or at-least based on your personal experience) with the new AirPods Pro 2? Do the new airpods pro 2 have a new vented design of some sort? if its the same fully sealed mechanism as the first version of the airpods pro then i'd assume the issue would still be there unless Apple made design changes to the product to rectify the issue on a fundamental level
The mesh that I found myself cleaning the most on gen 1 is on the side, against the ear. Had to blu-tack that about once a month to retain great ANC performance.

In gen2 that's no longer a mesh, it's an opaque black sensor window. The mesh opening has been moved to the top of the earbud. There are no skin-contact meshes on gen 2. That's a promising improvement.

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Any more reports on whether the thumping/thudding/heartbeat noises are gone with the APP2? Those were the main reasons I barely used my APP1 (vs. my AirPods and AirPods Max), and if reports of the improved sound quality are true, it may be time for me to pick up a set of the APP2.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I haven't noticed any thumping with APP2, but its only been a week....Lets give it a bit to see...

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
I haven't noticed any thumping with APP2, but its only been a week....Lets give it a bit to see...
For me at least, it started right away. Seems to happen with all in-ear headphones that seal, and wasn't related to any sort of blockage or build-up. I wonder if there are two separate issues at play here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.