Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Hi all

I am looking to buy an iPad to aid me with my Law studies and can't decide if I should get the 11 inch iPad Pro or the 12.9?

I am going to be using the iPad primarily for writing notes, reading and annotating documents and occasionally watching movies/media stuff.

The weight of the iPad isn't a huge deal to me as my course is online so the iPad will be mainly used at home of I occasionally go to the library. Do you think the bigger screen will be better to get or is it more comfortable using the 11 inch iPad Pro?

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
If you will use it only at desk, the 12.9” is perfect to take notes (both with apple pencil and/or magic keyboard). I’ve got 12.9“ 2018 since October 2019, my wife a 11” 2020 bought in 2021. I use mine for web surfing, media consumption, reading books and scientific papers; some times with MK to write papers. She use hers to read books and scientific papers at work.

I prefer 12.9” for the bigger screen, sometimes I think about upgrade with a 11” to better portability at work.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
This is very sujective, it depends on how you read and take notes. If you hold the tablet all the time (typically if you use the device while standing) the 11" is better, if you have the iPad sitting on a tablet stand or on a desk (typically if you use it while sitting), then the 12.9 will be a better experience.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
This is mostly personal preference and the tasks you describe can be achieved by any iPad. Go into a shop and see what size you prefer when at a desk. Or buy both and return wine that you liked the least.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
This is mostly personal preference and the tasks you describe can be achieved by any iPad. Go into a shop and see what size you prefer when at a desk. Or buy both and return wine that you liked the least.
This is true, I might go to my local Apple Store and see them both in person before deciding what to get.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
In what way does it have a nicer screen? Because it's bigger?
Mini-LED vs LED on the 11". Higher contrast, supports HDR, brighter, and blacker blacks. The downside is a bit of blooming (kind of bright light bleed/ghosting) at the border of very bright and very dark, but whether that bothers you is subjective.

Last edited:

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Mini-LED vs LED on the 11". Higher contrast, supports HDR, brighter, and blacker blacks. The downside is a bit off blooming at the border of very bright and very dark, but whether that bothers you is subjective.
Oh I don't think I myself clear enough sorry
I am talking about the iPad 11 Pro, not iPad Mini.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oh I don't think I myself clear enough sorry
I am talking about the iPad 11 Pro, not iPad Mini.
Yes. The 13" iPadPro has a MiniLED LCD screen while the 11" iPadPro has a regular LCD screen. I see the blooming a bit when watching movies during a dark scene, but not usually during normal operation in light or dark mode. To me the benefits of the larger, better screen far outweigh this negative.

FWIW, I bought my girl a 13" iPadPro for Christmas and I went with Amazon refurbished. I got the 256GB Cellular model with 4 years of 3rd party insurance for around what the 128GB Wifi-only iPad Apple refurbished would have cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Kim

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Yes. The 13" iPadPro has a MiniLED LCD screen while the 11" iPadPro has a regular LCD screen. I see the blooming a bit when watching movies during a dark scene, but not usually during normal operation in light or dark mode. To me the benefits of the larger, better screen far outweigh this negative.

FWIW, I bought my girl a 13" iPadPro for Christmas and I went with Amazon refurbished. I got the 256GB Cellular model with 4 years of 3rd party insurance for around what the 128GB Wifi-only iPad Apple refurbished would have cost.
Do you write on your iPad a lot? Also, do you use a screen protector?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Hi all

I am looking to buy an iPad to aid me with my Law studies and can't decide if I should get the 11 inch iPad Pro or the 12.9?

I am going to be using the iPad primarily for writing notes, reading and annotating documents and occasionally watching movies/media stuff.

The weight of the iPad isn't a huge deal to me as my course is online so the iPad will be mainly used at home of I occasionally go to the library. Do you think the bigger screen will be better to get or is it more comfortable using the 11 inch iPad Pro?
I think it's clear you should go with the 12.9" iPad Pro. The only cons IMO of that device are weight and size. If your plan is to primarily use it on a desk and transport it to a library, then you should be fine.

Last edited:

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I feel that the 12.9 although looks great.. It becomes the size of a laptop and at that point, I might as well just use my laptop..
Its Not great for reading in bed or anything like that... Just gave my sister the 12.9 and im going with a smaller size

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
Something that a lot of people don’t say if you are planning on using the Magic Keyboard yes you can get it for both the 12.9 and the 11 but the 11 model is more cramped and it won’t feel as natural when you have to keep going back-and-forth between a standard keyboard and it the 12.9 feels completely natural but it’s something that you have to go and try for yourself Because everybody has different size hands I have average size fingers if you buy it from Apple you you have a 14 day return. I would use it wisely. It sounds like you won the 12.9. I have one myself and have been using it through the different models since 2015 when it was released.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
Just remember, everybody’s opinion is subjective everybody’s different after reading all of these opinions you should really go to an Apple Store or a store that has both pro models and hold them in your hand, but the best way to determine it is either buy one and try it for a couple days and return it and try the other one or if you have the funds purchase both sizes and try them both out and see which one you like best

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I would recommend the 12.9 inch for you. But don't buy one right now, wait until they release the new models (should be within the next 2 months)
Hmm I need it now as my exams are in May
Are the new models definitely coming in 2 months?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
For PDFs you will want the 12.9”, if you’re okay with the weight. If you can wait until April, there’s an upcoming 12.9” iPad Air, which could save you some money. Or a used 2018 iPad Pro, they’re still plenty fast.

ppetrovic

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I’ve always chosen a 12.9” iPad Pro for a very similar use case and I’ve rarely regretted my decision.

12.9” screen is simply amazing for reading long PDFs, surfing the web, going through emails/RSS readers, taking notes (either with a keyboard or with an Apple Pencil) and streaming video. Throw in a Magic Keyboard and you’ve got yourself a nice portable powerhouse that’s not hard to carry around.

On the downside, it’s extremely cumbersome to use it in bed, depending on your constitution, your hands might hurt with prolonged use without a stand/Magic Keyboard and you might need to pay special attention when it comes to ergonomics for some use cases.

Overall, 12.9” it is for me and I’d highly recommend it to you for your intended use as well.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I’ve always chosen a 12.9” iPad Pro for a very similar use case and I’ve rarely regretted my decision.

12.9” screen is simply amazing for reading long PDFs, surfing the web, going through emails/RSS readers, taking notes (either with a keyboard or with an Apple Pencil) and streaming video. Throw in a Magic Keyboard and you’ve got yourself a nice portable powerhouse that’s not hard to carry around.

On the downside, it’s extremely cumbersome to use it in bed, depending on your constitution, your hands might hurt with prolonged use without a stand/Magic Keyboard and you might need to pay special attention when it comes to ergonomics for some use cases.

Overall, 12.9” it is for me and I’d highly recommend it to you for your intended use as well.
Thanks
Am I leaning towards the 12.9 after all these comments but I will take a trip to my local Apple Store next week to see them in person.
Next decision I need to make is what storage space, cellular or wifi only and what screen protector to get!

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
For PDFs you will want the 12.9”, if you’re okay with the weight. If you can wait until April, there’s an upcoming 12.9” iPad Air, which could save you some money. Or a used 2018 iPad Pro, they’re still plenty fast.
I need it ASAP as I have exams in May and July so need to start revision/work now...
I won't really be carrying the iPad around except to the library tbh.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
If you using it 95% of the time with a stand on a desktop, 12.9” iPad Pro, but if you also plan to hold it while reading/writing and carrying around, 11” Pro, or even better for your needs, iPad Air.

And if you are going to use Magic Keyboard most of the time, then for the cost of iPad +MK, you better get MBA instead.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.