Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
Thanks
Am I leaning towards the 12.9 after all these comments but I will take a trip to my local Apple Store next week to see them in person.
Next decision I need to make is what storage space, cellular or wifi only and what screen protector to get!
I have had my 2021 12.9 IPP 256gb for almost 3 years I bought the cellular version thinking I was going to take it everywhere and use cellular all the time and I do take it with me whenever I need to but after six months, I disconnected the cell service and just hotspot with my iPhone 15 Pro Max if I need internet

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
When you go to your local Apple Store to check out the 2022 IPP just know that you can probably get a refurbished model of the 2021 at your local store if not online the minor differences are not much I held off knowing that there would be a better unit coming in the next few years after almost 3 years. My battery health is at 82% for something I use every day before and after work all the time I’m happy with it.

ppetrovic

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Thanks
Am I leaning towards the 12.9 after all these comments but I will take a trip to my local Apple Store next week to see them in person.
Next decision I need to make is what storage space, cellular or wifi only and what screen protector to get!
I used to own a cellular model, but then I realized that 95% of the time I use it at home, sometimes in the office and if I’m traveling, usually the hotel/coffee shop has WiFi, and for the 5% remaining, a hotspot from my iPhone is good enough. For my use cases, a cellular model is not worth the price difference, although it is extremely convenient for sure.

Regarding storage, if you plan to use it just for PDFs and don’t intend to keep large video files on it (you can stream pretty much anything these days) then I guess a base model of 256 GB will be good enough for you (it is for me), everything else can just be uploaded to iCloud and downloaded over WiFi when needed.

As for the screen protect, I’ve never used it so I can’t comment on that part. I’ve never seen any screen scratching after intensive Apple Pencil usage, and I’m not going to degrade the gorgeous mini-LED 12.9” screen I paid good money for by putting a screen protector all over it.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
When you go to your local Apple Store to check out the 2022 IPP just know that you can probably get a refurbished model of the 2021 at your local store if not online the minor differences are not much I held off knowing that there would be a better unit coming in the next few years after almost 3 years. My battery health is at 82% for something I use every day before and after work all the time I’m happy with it.
Thanks, I will look into this.

Reactions: Coolpher

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I used to own a cellular model, but then I realized that 95% of the time I use it at home, sometimes in the office and if I’m traveling, usually the hotel/coffee shop has WiFi, and for the 5% remaining, a hotspot from my iPhone is good enough. For my use cases, a cellular model is not worth the price difference, although it is extremely convenient for sure.

Regarding storage, if you plan to use it just for PDFs and don’t intend to keep large video files on it (you can stream pretty much anything these days) then I guess a base model of 256 GB will be good enough for you (it is for me), everything else can just be uploaded to iCloud and downloaded over WiFi when needed.

As for the screen protect, I’ve never used it so I can’t comment on that part. I’ve never seen any screen scratching after intensive Apple Pencil usage, and I’m not going to degrade the gorgeous mini-LED 12.9” screen I paid good money for by putting a screen protector all over it.
Thank you
I was leaning towards the wifi model as I will mainly use the iPad at home and at libraries where wifi will be available.
I want to use a screen protector as I always use screen protectors with my phones, so I just can't imagine not using one with the iPad.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thank you
I was leaning towards the wifi model as I will mainly use the iPad at home and at libraries where wifi will be available.
I want to use a screen protector as I always use screen protectors with my phones, so I just can't imagine not using one with the iPad.

I removed the screen protector from my M1 12.9 due to the excessive reflection from it (I don't care for matte protectors). When watching videos, if there was any ambient light, I could readily see my face reflected in dark areas of the screen, not so with no protector.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
We're all different of course and we all have different priorities and financial situations. For me I prefer the keyboarding experience on the larger iPP over the 11, and for mobility I like having a mini as an option even though I have a large iPhone. When you go to the store to check out the models in person consider how much keyboarding you will be doing and compare the comfort on each. I prefer physical keyboards on tablets and I stock both a slim case and a keyboard case for my 12.9, and I find that for both on screen and physical keyboards there's a benefit to having a larger tablet. How important this is to people depends upon what we each do with our devices.

Reactions: sparksd

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
We're all different of course and we all have different priorities and financial situations. For me I prefer the keyboarding experience on the larger iPP over the 11, and for mobility I like having a mini as an option even though I have a large iPhone. When you go to the store to check out the models in person consider how much keyboarding you will be doing and compare the comfort on each. I prefer physical keyboards on tablets and I stock both a slim case and a keyboard case for my 12.9, and I find that for both on screen and physical keyboards there's a benefit to having a larger tablet. How important this is to people depends upon what we each do with our devices.
What keyboard do you use? The Magic Keyboard or a third party keyboard?

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I'm still on the 2nd generation iPP so I have a smart cover type keyboard. Probably not obvious but I am not suggesting carrying both a standard folio cover AND a keyboard (folio or otherwise). When I am leaving the house and intending to use my 12.9 primarily for content consumption I will switch to something lighter, that's all I am saying.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So do you carry the MK and Smart Cover Case? How do you use both if you don't mind me asking?

I rarely use the MK now to be honest . I basically use it as just an iPad and use my MacBook Pro for long typing for example. I have the official iPad case from Apple which is light weight compared to other cases

Reactions: muzzy996

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Thanks
Highly recommend the FloLab NanoArmour anti glare screen protector. Is the best anti glare with the least amount of noise that I’ve tried. Doesn’t have the paper feel but feels great to the touch and also with the pencil.

I also have the Magic Keyboard but mostly use my iPad without it. For scratch protection I use an EasySkinz. Takes a couple of weeks to get it in the US but the quality and precise fit is way better than the US brands I have tried.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Highly recommend the FloLab NanoArmour anti glare screen protector. Is the best anti glare with the least amount of noise that I’ve tried. Doesn’t have the paper feel but feels great to the touch and also with the pencil.

I also have the Magic Keyboard but mostly use my iPad without it. For scratch protection I use an EasySkinz. Takes a couple of weeks to get it in the US but the quality and precise fit is way better than the US brands I have tried.
Thanks
How does writing on the screen protector feel. I know people say if you are going to be using the iPad for writing, some type of Paperlike screen protector is ideal as it makes writing easier...

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Over the years, I‘ve convinced myself on two occasions that 12.9” was my best choice, but ended up returning them both times. I guess my ”rule of thumb” for most users is: if you’re on the fence, go with the 11” size.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Thanks
How does writing on the screen protector feel. I know people say if you are going to be using the iPad for writing, some type of Paperlike screen protector is ideal as it makes writing easier...
I tried the paper like type protectors. The screen quality degradation wasn’t worth it for me. The FloLab has an anti glare which is the clearest I’ve come across. Is it as scratchy as the paper like when writing with the pencil - no but it’s the best in the middle for me.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
I think be interesting the amount who have 12.9 use it with MK or not

Mine 2018 sit in its Mk most of the time, using it caseless for tablet activities like reading or web surfing on the couch or in the bed. MK is, in my opinion, the best stand for web surfing at desk and for watching videos/movies ecc.

ppetrovic

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I agree wholeheartedly. I keep my 12.9” on MK 80% of the time for typing and serious work and in my opinion there simply isn’t a better keyboard for iPad Pro right now. It’s crazy expensive over here in Europe but totally worth the price

Reactions: Student of Life
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.