Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cumminb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Kansas, USA
Hi guys. Some basic background info. Just graduated high school from a school with a 1-1 laptop program. I've been using an 11 inch MBA for 3 years now and Im In the market for a new laptop. I definitely want a Mac because that's what I'm used to and it's been so consistent for me. Plus compatibility with iPhone and such. Anyways, I'm really interested in the likely 2016 redesigned Macbook Pro but am a bit worried that release might not be until Q4. I start school in August and obviously need a laptop for school. Just wanted to see what you guys think I should do. if the new MBP comes out this summer after WWDC, I'll for sure buy it, but if it comes out at the end of the year, what do you think I should do?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My best guess is to wait and see what happens. WWDC is 3 weeks out, and the rumors are that the new MBPs will be announced, and at the very least, projected release time frames will be published. At that point, you will need to plan for college - but it would be premature to worry about making that decision without all of the information.

doctorwhofan98

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2014
England, UK
Hi guys. Some basic background info. Just graduated high school from a school with a 1-1 laptop program. I've been using an 11 inch MBA for 3 years now and Im In the market for a new laptop. I definitely want a Mac because that's what I'm used to and it's been so consistent for me. Plus compatibility with iPhone and such. Anyways, I'm really interested in the likely 2016 redesigned Macbook Pro but am a bit worried that release might not be until Q4. I start school in August and obviously need a laptop for school. Just wanted to see what you guys think I should do. if the new MBP comes out this summer after WWDC, I'll for sure buy it, but if it comes out at the end of the year, what do you think I should do?

I'm pretty much in the exact same position! I'll need a MacBook Pro for university, but a Q4 release date is just too late. I can't hold off until September, when I'm about to move to uni, just in case a redesign comes out then or later. So I'm just hoping the 2016 model is announced at WWDC, and I'll probably (reluctantly) get the 2015 model if not, because waiting is getting ridiculous. The 2015 model is still great, so while it will be very annoying to miss out on the redesign, it would hardly be the end of the world, just really frustrating.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Apple is under heavy pressure by it's competitors to come out with new laptops soon because of YOU - yes YOU (well, not you specifically, but students and their parents who constitute the "back to school" cohort). I wouldn't stress - unless no new MBP's are forthcoming by the end of June, in which case you can either bump this thread or start a new one.

Interetingly enough, there was article today about the Auburn School District in Maine preferring laptops over iPads. A short excerpt:

"One teacher cited by the study said that the iPads "provide no educational function in the classroom. Students use them as toys," adding that word processing is "near to impossible."

"One teacher even said "the iPads are a disaster."

"Students weren't much more positive, according to the Sun Journal. “WE NEED LAPTOPS!!!” one student reportedly wrote three times in the study."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/lewiston-auburn/2016/05/19/state-offering-schools-ipad-trade/1927446

Hopefully, Apple's gotten the message that, for students at least, the iPad is not the new PC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My $.02 is find out what your college requires and then buy one based on those requirements.

People are expecting new laptops this June and I think that will be the case as well.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I'm really interested in the likely 2016 redesigned Macbook Pro but am a bit worried that release might not be until Q4."

Relax, kid.

You won't have to wait all that much longer!

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I'm not sure on the timing, but perhaps the OP saw what the analyst Ming-Chi Kuo wrote, saying he believes the new MBP's will come out in the 4Q. That may be the case but the advice everybody is giving is still correct. If Apple doesn't introduce new MBP's for back-to-school, they will be under considerable pressure from their competitors and likely will offer discounts - maybe not on the list price, but through academic institutions, etc. So it will still pay to wait at least until the end of June and see your choices will be.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
It doesn't hurt to wait. That source of the MBP stated 4Q, and because that guy was an analyst, he probably means fiscal fourth quarter. This lies in-between the end of June to August. If there's no announcements at WWDC, just buy a refurbished MBP from 2015

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
It doesn't hurt to wait. That source of the MBP stated 4Q, and because that guy was an analyst, he probably means fiscal fourth quarter. This lies in-between the end of June to August. If there's no announcements at WWDC, just buy a refurbished MBP from 2015

No, the clear implication is that Kuo believes the new MBP will come in 4Q calendar quarter, not fiscal quarter. It's that or Kuo didn't make himself clear and everybody else in the tech press reporting on the story misunderstood.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
No, the clear implication is that Kuo believes the new MBP will come in 4Q calendar quarter, not fiscal quarter. It's that or Kuo didn't make himself clear and everybody else in the tech press reporting on the story misunderstood.

That was my understanding, as well, but that would mean that Apple will not have the new machines on the shelves for the Back-to-School push. #lostOpportunity

cumminb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Kansas, USA
To address the thread as a whole, I realize that I need to wait until June before making a decision. My main purpose with the post was to see what your recommendation would be if they don't have the new MBP on shelves before August or later. The common theme seems to be buying a MBP 15 which I agree with. But a sincere thanks to all of you for replying! It truly would be a huge missed opportunity for Apple to push release to the holiday season. They'd make bank on the back to school crowd like me. Hopefully that's a thought going through marketing and production teams at Apple rn. Once again, thank you!

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
You're acting like this is new

If the rumor came from Joe Anybody, that would be case, but Ming-Chi Kuo has been doing this for at least 5 years and likewise the press has been reporting on his prognostications like he's the Oracle of Delphi for a while, so everybody knows the drill here. If he meant the fiscal quarter and everybody is reporting it as the calendar quarter it will be big news and egg on somebody's face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.