Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
i have an iphone se second gen. i have been having many, many issues with it and i already have had to get it replaced once. recently i have these popups popping up every time i download something from the appstore. it only happens when i download a new app (not one i have downloaded in the past). at first it started out with just one popup saying “charactermap” needs to be updated. the developer of the app needs to update it to work on this version of ios. then it says keep or delete and i press delete every time just to get it out of my way. but even pressing the delete button does absolutely nothing (even though i dont have it installed on my device)

the thing is i dont have anything named charactermap on my phone. then a short while later (maybe a few days) another popup stared showing up saying the same thing but the app name hangul 2048. now, this happens EVERY TIME i try to download something new

about two days ago a slew of notifications like that started to pop up every time i downloaded an app but some of them were a little different. ex: “shortcuts for coreldraw” needs to be updated. the developer of the app needs to update it to work on this version of ios. the difference is that it says shortcuts for the app need to be updated.

but as of now, every time i download something new i receive ten different popups and its starting to get on my nerves. i dont want to call apple again because they are useless (i had to call them 8 times the one week due to this phone but not for a few different issues not including this one). so before i have to go the route of calling apple AGAIN i was hoping someone could help me with this issue WITHOUT having to restore my phone because thats all apple would tell me to do. so can anyone please tell me what could possibly be goin on?
DB1D2588-4BB3-4C6D-B8FE-6CFCA5513DA5.jpeg
E30E7993-86E7-441E-B8B0-9C370A82E3F0.jpeg
BFAD3A02-66F8-4AD2-99F9-50FFA2023F8B.jpeg
4F291980-D79E-4535-B5F5-60E33C41B229.jpeg
9CCCF887-4A3D-4BC3-853C-5FFD23946DB5.jpeg
4C6E5EB7-3537-44C9-8EEE-BA1A4614B1F6.jpeg
3CA06880-63FA-4B46-BEB0-4E8F781AC067.jpeg
FFBD8B37-7476-44F0-9499-D72CE9C8169F.jpeg
AA447AB5-329F-48D0-A569-CE7535D8B89B.jpeg
72C35D1E-7FF3-4777-A13E-F62488C1FD13.jpeg

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
It looks like you're trying to download some pretty old apps. What iOS version is your phone using? I looked at, for example, Shortcuts for Bridge, and it was last updated 6 years ago. In the App Store, you can view the app's Compatibility details under the Information section to see if it will work with your phone and your iOS version. But even if it says it's compatible, if the developer hasn't updated the compatibility list, it's not going to be of any use to you.

There may be other apps or websites that can provide useful information about shortcuts for various apps.

Last edited:

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
no it all started out just randomly with the charactermap popup. i never had that on my phone of even tried to download that. thats why im so confused. same goes for a few of the other apps.
plus even if i did download them i always press delete so why does it keep popping back up?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What version of iOS are you using?
You have complained about Apple suggesting that you restore your iPhone, but have you tried that?

So, have you tried a full restore of your iPhone?
Have you tried contacting one or two of the developers, just in case there actually is a real issue, and the developer actually does need to update their app for your newer iOS version?

Do you ever click "Keep", and check to see if it works, despite the error popup?

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
iphone se second gen software 14.6. yes i have complained about apple becasue thats all they ever tell me is to restore the phone. like i mentioned before i have had so many issues with this phone it is ridiculous. i had an iphone 6 for 6 years and never once had a glitch or software issue (besides towards the end when it started to get so old and outdated it couldnt keep up with the newer ios updates and got alittle laggy but that was it). no i have not tried a full restore because the same problem would just come back if i were to restore from a backup (ive already been down that road with some of the other issues i had). i do not want to fully restore my phone because of the obvious reasons. i have not contacted any developers because half of these apps i have NEVER downloaded and i have tried to hit the keep button to see what happens and it does nothing but pop up again wehn i go to dowenload another app. this phone is a month and a half old. the one before that was a little more than two months old and i had to get a replacment for it because of all the issues. so i just need to know if this could be something i could fix or if i have to call apple and chew them out.

sorry to sound like a jerk in my post im just really frustrated with this phone. thanks for all the replies though i do appreciate it.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Yeah it does sound very frustrating, I get it. Are you logged into the phone with your own Apple ID? Did you buy the phone new from Apple?

When you say you don't want to fully restore your phone "because of the obvious reasons," it's not obvious what those reasons might be. It sounds like there could be something in your backup that's causing this problem, so the advice to erase and restore as new is pretty solid way to go to rule out where the problem is coming from.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
A few years ago, some forum members had complaints as well about a character map popup on their phone. I am trying to find the thread. If I remember correctly, the problem was born from an app that was downloaded. This may be the kind of problem you are having. More than likely, you downloaded an app, enabled permissions you may not have realized and it is causing the problem.

Edited to add: I can't find the thread. If that changes, I will post a link. If that were my phone, I would do a wipe and set up as new.

Last edited:

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
A few years ago, some forum members had complaints as well about a character map popup on their phone. I am trying to find the thread. If I remember correctly, the problem was born from an app that was downloaded. This may be the kind of problem you are having. More than likely, you downloaded an app, enabled permissions you may not have realized and it is causing the problem.

Edited to add: I can't find the thread. If that changes, I will post a link. If that were my phone, I would do a wipe and set up as new.
ok i appreciate it

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
Yeah it does sound very frustrating, I get it. Are you logged into the phone with your own Apple ID? Did you buy the phone new from Apple?

When you say you don't want to fully restore your phone "because of the obvious reasons," it's not obvious what those reasons might be. It sounds like there could be something in your backup that's causing this problem, so the advice to erase and restore as new is pretty solid way to go to rule out where the problem is coming from.
i dont want to restore my phone becUse i have alot of important things on it. i bought the first phone from apple brand new and the second one (the one i have now) is a replacement also from apple. i dont think it has anything to do with prior back ups because this just started and i have had the phone restored from a backup since i got the phone over a month ago.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
i dont want to restore my phone becUse i have alot of important things on it. i bought the first phone from apple brand new and the second one (the one i have now) is a replacement also from apple. i dont think it has anything to do with prior back ups because this just started and i have had the phone restored from a backup since i got the phone over a month ago.
What if you look back at the apps you've installed recently and delete them one-by-one to see if the problem resolves?

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
ok new development. i was looking though the apps i had downloaded since the popups started and i turned off a keyboard to see if that was the cause. i went to the app store and picked a random app to download to test it out and i went right back to the home screen and all the apps that keep doing the popup thing popped up right on the screen instantly which hasnt happened before or atleast that i have noticed. i decided to press keep this time on all of them to see what they would do. it looked like they were downloading and when they were “finished” downloading they would just have the arrow symbol at the bottom of the app which makes it look like i offloaded the app. then if i clicked on the app again to “download it” it would bring up the popup again and same cycle would continue unless i pressed delete which would delete the app.
36CBC358-79EF-4D97-A8C6-1DCA828199CE.jpeg
D1DFF11B-D66C-4D75-9557-BB85C6687586.jpeg

so should i just like keep the apps in the offload purgatory state? maybe i can just store them in my app library instead of on the homescreen. what are your guys’ thoughts?

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
ok i tried to put the apps in the apps in “app purgatory” (in the app library undownloaded). so the tests i did before with downloading random apps (to see if the pop ups still occurred) i would delete them before they finished downloading. still the popups would show up. i did a few more tests with downloading random new apps and now what its doing is downloading the random app that i had just clicked plus trying to redownload the apps that i canceled before they finished downloading. plus the popup thing is still happening…wtf is happening?!

Philand

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
Did you get to the bottom of this problem as I have started getting it too.
I wanted a Unicode keyboard so tried downloading an app from App Store and got the message about Charactermap needing to be updated. As I was trying download a keyboard the error made sense (sort of).
But now I get the error no matter what I try to download from the App Store , which means I cannot install anything new.
I am on latest version of iOS 14 and the apps I am trying to download should be ok. Even if I select a recommended app I get the error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.