Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad Mini color do you think would go best with my iPhone 14 Pro White and Apple Watch Ultra 2

• Starlight

• Space Grey

• Purple

Results are only viewable after voting.

MacMastermind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2023
Cupertino
Hey MacRumors community!

I'm super excited because I'm planning to buy a new iPad Mini tomorrow, but I'm facing a dilemma, and I need your expertise to help me make the right decision.

So, here's the deal: I currently own an iPhone 14 Pro in White and an Apple Watch Ultra 2. I want to ensure that my new iPad Mini complements my existing Apple devices in terms of style and aesthetics.

First Question: Which iPad Mini color do you think would go best with my iPhone 14 Pro White and Apple Watch Ultra 2? I've been eyeing the Starlight. Your opinions and experiences would be incredibly valuable in making my choice!

Second Question: While I'm excited to get the iPad Mini now, I also wonder if it's worth waiting for the next release. Apple has a history of introducing new features and improvements with each iteration. Do you think it's a good idea to wait for the next iPad Mini release, or is the current model a solid choice for the long term?

I've been reading the latest rumors and speculations, but I'd love to hear your insights and what factors you'd consider in this decision-making process.

Please share your thoughts, personal experiences, or any advice you may have. I appreciate your help, and I can't wait to hear what the MacRumors community thinks!

Thanks in advance!

MacMastermind

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
First Question: Which iPad Mini color do you think would go best with my iPhone 14 Pro White and Apple Watch Ultra 2? I've been eyeing the Starlight. Your opinions and experiences would be incredibly valuable in making my choice!
Starlight, but matching devices is overrated, go for purple.
Second Question: While I'm excited to get the iPad Mini now, I also wonder if it's worth waiting for the next release. Apple has a history of introducing new features and improvements with each iteration. Do you think it's a good idea to wait for the next iPad Mini release, or is the current model a solid choice for the long term?
if you feel like you can wait then wait.

Reactions: MacMastermind

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
iPad Mini 6 will do just fine performance wise for years to come. Waiting is just postponing the inevitable. It may be announced tomorrow, next week, in March 2024, who knows. Just get it now if you are able to, or can wait however long until they announce a new revision.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Purple! I’m waiting for the iPad mini 7 tho. It’s been 2 years & rumors abound that it’ll be updated soon. Within the next 6 months. If not this Fall then early 2024. Although most think it will be a minor update. So going with the mini 6 is not a bad idea either if you just can’t wait.
4F18A035-DF33-4969-8161-438904C65511.gif

• Haha

MacMastermind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2023
Cupertino
Starlight, but matching devices is overrated, go for purple.

if you feel like you can wait then wait.

Thanks for your suggestion! Purple does sound interesting, and I'm considering it. As for waiting, you're right, patience can pay off in the Apple world. I appreciate your input! 🟣⌛

MacMastermind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2023
Cupertino
iPad Mini 6 will do just fine performance wise for years to come. Waiting is just postponing the inevitable. It may be announced tomorrow, next week, in March 2024, who knows. Just get it now if you are able to, or can wait however long until they announce a new revision.

Thanks for your perspective! You make a solid point about the iPad Mini 6's performance longevity. Waiting for the next release is a bit like postponing the inevitable, as you mentioned. It's hard to predict when the next revision will come. Your input helps in considering the pros of getting it now. 🚀

MacMastermind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2023
Cupertino
Purple! I’m waiting for the iPad mini 7 tho. It’s been 2 years & rumors abound that it’ll be updated soon. Within the next 6 months. If not this Fall then early 2024. Although most think it will be a minor update. So going with the mini 6 is not a bad idea either if you just can’t wait. View attachment 2268049
Purple is definitely a popular choice, and I'm loving the Prince reference with that GIF lol! 🟣

You bring up a good point about waiting for the iPad Mini 7. It's been a while, and the rumors are intriguing. If it's just a minor update, the Mini 6 might be the way to go if I can't wait for the latest and greatest. Thanks for sharing your insights Greenmeenie, I really appreciate it!

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Purple is definitely a popular choice, and I'm loving the Prince reference with that GIF lol! 🟣

You bring up a good point about waiting for the iPad Mini 7. It's been a while, and the rumors are intriguing. If it's just a minor update, the Mini 6 might be the way to go if I can't wait for the latest and greatest. Thanks for sharing your insights Greenmeenie, I really appreciate it!
Personally, I would not buy an older such as 2 year old device now, UNLESS I need it badly enough. However, this might be different to others who do not care how old the device is (preference). Minor or not an update is, an update is an update that makes a device technology ahead of the previous version. I personally care for getting newest device version no matter how minor it is, UNLESS I need it urgently or badly forcing me to get an older technology device. What is your preference?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Personally, I would not buy an older such as 2 year old device now, UNLESS I need it badly enough. However, this might be different to others who do not care how old the device is (preference). Minor or not an update is, an update is an update that makes a device technology ahead of the previous version. I personally care for getting newest device version no matter how minor it is, UNLESS I need it urgently or badly forcing me to get an older technology device. What is your preference?

Depends on price and specs.

If I were in the market for an iPad Pro upgrade recently, I would’ve gladly chosen the M1 iPad Pros on Woot over the M2 iPad Pro. The M2 might be an upgrade over the M1 but is it worth spending $800+ more for the equivalent configuration? For me, that’s a big no. Better off saving that $800 for a future upgrade or investing in AAPL.

As for the mini 6, depends on how soon you need it. If one can wait another year, might as well wait to see what next year brings. If someone needs it badly enough, they wouldn’t be here asking question, they would’ve bought it already.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, everyone is "eye of the beholder." This is basically blonde, brunette or redhead? Ford or Chevy? Republican or Democrat. Only YOU know what you like most. Opinions are extraordinarily biased to individuals. If you gave this enough time, you could have passionate cases for each color AND to buy now and wait for 7.

These are also not fashion devices like matching a jacket or shoes to pants. It's likely that nobody will care about the color of one device vs. the other... almost certainly nobody recoiling about some kind of fashion clash of colors. It's actually the OTHER side that tend to get the focus of people's eyes. With screen off, that's all uniform BLACK. With screen on, you can apply matching wallpaper if this is an actual concern.

Secondly, unless you want the risk of naked, whatever color is probably going into a case, which can turn any color iPad into an entirely different color. I have to pull my iPad Mini 6 out of the brown case to even know what Apple color is on the actual case. To me, my iPad Mini is Brown because after about 10 minutes out of box, it has been in a protective case since.

To second question: nobody here knows when the next one will arrive. Mini has a history of appearing as fast as 1 year after a release or many years later. My own best guess is maybe next Fall but I have nothing to back that up. Someone else could make an equally good guess of next month, this coming Spring and 2025 and be just as likely to be right.

If you want a Mini, buy one. iPads are not like iPhones- they tend to last for much longer without the mysterious "long in tooth- time to buy a replacement" slowdowns in iPhones. My own hop was from Mini 2 to Mini 6, leaping over 3, 4 & 5. My next one will probably be Mini 9 or 10. I expect this 6 to be just as functional until 9 or 10.

Enjoy one if you buy one. All that really matters is what YOU think of your purchase, not what strangers think.

MacMastermind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2023
Cupertino
OP, everyone is "eye of the beholder." This is basically blonde, brunette or redhead? Ford or Chevy? Republican or Democrat. Only YOU know what you like most. Opinions are extraordinarily biased to individuals. If you gave this enough time, you could have passionate cases for each color AND to buy now and wait for 7.

These are also not fashion devices like matching a jacket or shoes to pants. It's likely that nobody will care about the color of one device vs. the other... almost certainly nobody recoiling about some kind of fashion clash of colors. It's actually the OTHER side that tend to get the focus of people's eyes. With screen off, that's all uniform BLACK. With screen on, you can apply matching wallpaper if this is an actual concern.

Secondly, unless you want the risk of naked, whatever color is probably going into a case, which can turn any color iPad into an entirely different color. I have to pull my iPad Mini 6 out of the brown case to even know what Apple color is on the actual case. To me, my iPad Mini is Brown because after about 10 minutes out of box, it has been in a protective case since.

To second question: nobody here knows when the next one will arrive. Mini has a history of appearing as fast as 1 year after a release or many years later. My own best guess is maybe next Fall but I have nothing to back that up. Someone else could make an equally good guess of next month, this coming Spring and 2025 and be just as likely to be right.

If you want a Mini, buy one. iPads are not like iPhones- they tend to last for much longer without the mysterious "long in tooth- time to buy a replacement" slowdowns in iPhones. My own hop was from Mini 2 to Mini 6, leaping over 3, 4 & 5. My next one will probably be Mini 9 or 10. I expect this 6 to be just as functional until 9 or 10.

Enjoy one if you buy one. All that really matters is what YOU think of your purchase, not what strangers think.
You’ve made some incredibly valid points here, and I appreciate your thoughtful input. 🙌

You’re absolutely right that personal preference plays a significant role in choosing a device’s color. It’s like the age-old debate of blonde, brunette, or redhead, as well as other choices we make in life. It’s a highly individual decision.

And I totally get what you mean about these not being fashion devices in the traditional sense. Functionality tends to take precedence over matching colors, and most people won’t be analyzing the color coordination of our gadgets.

Your insights about the likelihood of using a protective case are spot on. Cases can completely change the look, and that’s an important consideration.

Your guess about the next iPad Mini release timeline is as good as anyone’s, given the unpredictability of Apple’s product cycles.

It’s reassuring to hear that iPads tend to have a longer lifespan, which makes the choice a bit easier.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and wisdom. Your perspective is really valuable as I make my decision! 📱👍

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You’re absolutely right that personal preference plays a significant role in choosing a device’s color. It’s like the age-old debate of blonde, brunette, or redhead, as well as other choices we make in life. It’s a highly individual decision.

And I totally get what you mean about these not being fashion devices in the traditional sense. Functionality tends to take precedence over matching colors, and most people won’t be analyzing the color coordination of our gadgets.

Your insights about the likelihood of using a protective case are spot on. Cases can completely change the look, and that’s an important consideration.

It can still be somewhat objective. For example, I’ve sometimes seen the pink iPad mini 6 go for $50-150 cheaper than the other colors on Amazon. In that situation, I’d choose the pink. I always put a case on my devices anyway.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If you buy, enjoy it.

If you want a crazy idea to eliminate the fashion clash/match entirely, dump the phone and let iPad mini (Cellular) cover the phone & texting functionality too. Telephony is just an app... like making it a flashlight or a tape measure or a map. Voip app will let you call & text anyone else and they to you. Cellular data plans on iPad mini is much cheaper than any iPhone plan. The data is the very same 5G. Use buds as many people do for calls.

iPad Mini has also been my phone since iPad Mini 2. Works great. FARRRRRRRRRRRRR less expensive than iPhone, and even more so for those who own both iPhone and iPad together.

If this could work for you, you could probably get more for that 14 to fully cover the cost of the Mini and then some. Factor in the 5G costs over time and the "free" iPad Mini will be saving you more and more money vs. any approach to own both.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Cellular data plans on iPad mini is much cheaper than any iPhone plan. The data is the very same 5G. Use buds as many people do for calls.

Only if you don’t need a lot of data. If you need unlimited data, the plan cost is around the same as getting a phone.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
As we’ve covered in other threads, I eat the bulk of my “unlimited data’ in free wifi zones at home and work. I can’t be the only person with much of each day in free wifi zones.

The 12.5GB of 5G for only $25 per YEAR is plenty for me when in between free wifi. But should I need another block of 5GB at any time, I can add it for only $10 more.

Then it’s just simple choices, like saving the lengthy video watching until I have wifi instead of watching right now… OR being ready to buy another 5GB for $10 if I just can’t wait and am low on cellular data.

Apple doesn’t need our help pushing iPhones. They sell tens of millions every year. And OP already owns one, so this post isn’t preventing OP from buying anything if he’s interested in the option.

Last edited:

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I’d wait until October when Apple usually refreshes iPads.

If Apple hasn’t refreshed the Mini by then, March for sure.

The 6th gen Mini just has too many compromises.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Only if you don’t need a lot of data. If you need unlimited data, the plan cost is around the same as getting a phone.

With ATT I can get unlimited data on any device (with a throttle after a certain amount of course), including the iPad, and the cost for the iPad service is $20/month - phone is $40-$50 depending on plan.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I don’t think any will necessarily go with the pro phone because of the stainless, but I feel like the starlight would go best with the ultra.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With ATT I can get unlimited data on any device (with a throttle after a certain amount of course), including the iPad, and the cost for the iPad service is $20/month - phone is $40-$50 depending on plan.

They’ve done away with the $20 standalone unlimited prepaid plan. It’s only $20/mo if it’s an add-on to an existing phone plan.

I’m referring to the cost of an iPhone-only unlimited data plan vs an iPad-only unlimited data plan wherein the iPad is not an add-on device.

Reactions: max2

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
They’ve done away with the $20 standalone unlimited prepaid plan. It’s only $20/mo if it’s an add-on to an existing phone plan.

I’m referring to the cost of an iPhone-only unlimited data plan vs an iPad-only unlimited data plan wherein the iPad is not an add-on device.

Oh okay. I’m sorry. I guess I wasn’t paying close attention.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Oh okay. I’m sorry. I guess I wasn’t paying close attention.

No worries. Pretty much the only cheap plan for the iPad (in the US at least) is the $10/5GB T-Mobile pay as you go. Works OK for light users but even for my dad who rarely goes out (but goes on YouTube while waiting for my mom when shopping), 5GB can be used up in just one weekend.

One of the reasons I’m keeping my our ATT postpaid plan instead of switching to prepaid is it’s cheaper to get iPhone+iPad unlimited data plans bundled versus cheaper prepaid cellphone plan + expensive standalone iPad plan.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
As we’ve covered in other threads, I eat the bulk of my “unlimited data’ in free wifi zones at home and work. I can’t be the only person with much of each day in free wifi zones.

The 12.5GB of 5G for only $25 per YEAR is plenty for me when in between free wifi. But should I need another block of 5GB at any time, I can add it for only $10 more.

Then it’s just simple choices, like saving the lengthy video watching until I have wifi instead of watching right now… OR being ready to buy another 5GB for $10 if I just can’t wait and am low on cellular data.

Apple doesn’t need our help pushing iPhones. They sell tens of millions every year. And OP already owns one, so this post isn’t preventing OP from buying anything if he’s interested in the option.
What provider is offering 12.5 GB for 25 per year? Are there any catches to get this price?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
He and I have had that same discussion in other threads so I summarized a common offer on iPad Mini 6 for his sake. Yes, there are catches. Anyone with an iPad mini can buy a Tmobile plan $10 for 5GB or 5 months. That works perfect for me, even with it doubling as iPhone too (buds with mic for calls). Granted, I am in free wifi most of the time, so I'm certainly a 5G data miser in using cellular only when out of home and work wifi zones.

You can rebuy that offer when it runs out. So $10 for 5GB for 5 months + $10 for 5 more GB for 5 more months + $10 for another round but only using the 2 months that are left in the year. Thus, about $25 for about 12GB for 12 months.

Practically, I don't even spend the $25 as I only re-up again when I need 5G... which is not immediately when the 5GB or 5 months passes. Sometimes it's a few weeks before I need it again, so I just re-add it on when needed. For me, I could probably make a total cost claim of $20/yr for service and that would be more accurate. However, for someone else who needs CONTINUOUS 5G but doesn't need more than about 1GB/month on average, $25 (technically $30 since it's $10 per purchase) on that iPad plan will do the trick.

This also goes the other way. For example, if I was ever in a scenario where I burned through the 5GB faster than 5 months, I could just buy a new 5GB for 5 months again. So maybe $25 becomes $35 or $45 or 75/yr for someone else who may not have as much free wifi during their day? Relative to the national average cell phone plan cost of about $113/month, even $100/yr (for 50GBs) or $200/yr (for 100GBs) would be a substantial savings.

However, all that shared: the other poster is certainly right. People accustomed to eating a LOT of cellular data can end up doing better with the higher price of an iPhone and the higher monthly price of an "unlimited*" plan. To make this work for me, I am rather miserly with use of cellular data. Not everyone wants to manage their data "spend" so carefully. No problem at all for me because I almost live in free wifi (most of every day). Others without so much wifi may find averaging about 1GB per month quite challenging... especially those who love to stream lots of video. I believe in the other conversation, that guy said he used 50GB/month of cellular, so "unlimited*" for him is definitely the better option. It would take a dramatic cellular data DIET to go from averaging his 50GB to my (about) 1GB. ;)

Last edited:

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
I really don't understand people who wait for anything other than an iPhone. Everyone knows when the new iPhone is being released. Everything else, you could be waiting for a year or more for the new one. You could wait until October and then they could announce it in November. Or it could be March...Or next October...

If it fits your need for the price, buy it. Maybe if there is a very reliable rumor, but there is nothing like that on the Mini.

I remember in the 2010s when I had the old cheese grater Mac Pro that I loved, waiting YEARS for a new Mac Pro model (didn't want a trash can) and then when they released it, it was insanely expensive.

As far as color, I am a Space Grey guy myself but I got the Starlight and think it looks awesome. One of the problems with colors is unless you are going to be bold enough to live without a case, the color is mostly going to be covered by whatever color case you buy.

Would love to highlight the Starlight but I love my Zugu case that covers it up.

I recently switched from the T-Mobile $10 plan to the $20 plan and personally think the extra $10 per month for unlimited data is worth it, but it all depends on your usage. I take my iPad everywhere but mostly just surf the internet though it doesn't take many YouTube videos to eat 5gb up. I find the extra $10 for unlimited data is worth it.

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
There were still supply shortages going on when I got my mini 6. I wanted a Space Grey base storage wifi only, and the only mini 6 I could find at any of the Apple Stores near me was a max storage cellular Starlight. I splurged and bought it. I didn't think I'd like the Starlight, but I love it and I think it will complement your colors nicely.

As far as the release timing--anyone's guess, but it sounds like most models are getting a refresh by next Spring/Fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.