Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Would anyone agree that the new iPhone (whatever the name is) should blow the galaxy s3 out the water ? If it doesn't then a lot of users will leave? What can the new iPhone do that Samsung s3 cannot?

The iPhone 4 and 4S do already, so I would imagine the next iPhone does too.

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
I did too. I don't know why I bought the 4s and wasted my upgrade...I really wanted that Retina display. (Coming from 3GS).

Yea bit of bad timing, though the 4S is still a great device. I just think the guy who posted above me is a complete troll. The S3 still smokes the 4 and 4S

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Would anyone agree that the new iPhone (whatever the name is) should blow the galaxy s3 out the water ? If it doesn't then a lot of users will leave? What can the new iPhone do that Samsung s3 cannot?

I wouldn't worry about this too much. The iPhone gets compared to everything, I think the iPhone's best competition is Nexus devices. And when the new iPhone comes out in the fall it should be compared to the new nexus device that will come out about the same time.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I wouldn't worry about this too much. The iPhone gets compared to everything, I think the iPhone's best competition is Nexus devices. And when the new iPhone comes out in the fall it should be compared to the new nexus device that will come out about the same time.

I can't wait for the new Nexus to be released just like I can't wait for the new iPhone to be released. I just hope the next Nexus has a killer Camera and Screen because that's all that's holding me back from going back to Android! Pure Google Android FTW!..... Till then I'll stick to my 4S

Last edited:

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Take out the galaxy nexus from the decision.

The so so camera and battery life aren't worth it.

Look for the new nexus in the fall. With the improved chipset and hopefully multiple OEMs on board, it will be better.

I will never buy an android with touchcrap, non sense etc. Sure you can do custom ROMs for stock android but I am not going to lose half the functionality of my smartphone for the first two months while the ROM is in beta etc. The nexus comes with working stock android out of the box. Game over. It is like the iPhone of android world but more open of course.

I hope HTC makes the new nexus. Will definitely buy one then.

Also i hope the new lumias come out same time.

So your decision should really be New nexus or iPhone 5 or may be a WP8 lumia.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Take out the galaxy nexus from the decision.

The so so camera and battery life aren't worth it.

Look for the new nexus in the fall. With the improved chipset and hopefully multiple OEMs on board, it will be better.

I will never buy an android with touchcrap, non sense etc. Sure you can do custom ROMs for stock android but I am not going to lose half the functionality of my smartphone for the first two months while the ROM is in beta etc. The nexus comes with working stock android out of the box. Game over. It is like the iPhone of android world but more open of course.

I hope HTC makes the new nexus. Will definitely buy one then.

Also i hope the new lumias come out same time.

So your decision should really be New nexus or iPhone 5 or may be a WP8 lumia.

Rumor is there is going to be 5 Nexus phone to celebrate 5 years of Android being made by 5 different manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC, etc. This was back in late May so who knows if it has legs but it was reported on several different Tech sites. We shall see.

Phandroid link

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
Rumor is there is going to be 5 Nexus phone to celebrate 5 years of Android being made by 5 different manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC, etc. This was back in late May so who knows if it has legs but it was reported on several different Tech sites. We shall see.

Phandroid link

I have a hard time believing that rumor. I can't wait for the next Nexus though, because I have a feeling the iPhone 5 won't blow me away.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Phandroid link
I really hope this is true.

I want a HTC nexus. HTC build quality and stock jelly bean. No other android phone is relevant for me.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Phandroid link

I think the 5 nexus devices are:

- Nexus 7 8GB

- Nexus 7 16GB

- Nexus phone 16GB

- Nexus phone 32GB

- Nexus phone 64GB (or a 8GB model for even lower price)

I dont think there are going to be 5 nexus phones.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I think the 5 nexus devices are:

- Nexus 7 8GB

- Nexus 7 16GB

- Nexus phone 16GB

- Nexus phone 32GB

- Nexus phone 64GB (or a 8GB model for even lower price)

I dont think there are going to be 5 nexus phones.

The 5 devices are supposed to roll out Nov 5th, which is the anniversary date. The two Nexus 7 tablets are out now. So, i dont really know. Just going by the rumor.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
If Google's Instant Upload feature works better than Photostream's "I'll upload all your photos except 5-7 that you'll need to manually do yourself" then that might be the way I have to go.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I can't wait for the new Nexus to be released just like I can't wait for the new iPhone to be released. I just hope the next Nexus has a killer Camera

I have the same hope too. The camera on the GN plain sucks. Any moderately low light setting, or when using the zoom in feature will give you horrible horrible pictures.

----------

You know, I'm not fully convinced having five different Nexus phones from five different manufacturers is a good thing for the Nexus branding.

I feel the Nexus branding is still quite delicate, and may still require a bit more establishing. I think they did a great job with the Nexus 7. I'm really hoping they can pull off the same sort of hype, launch and delivery for the next Nexus phone, and I fear having five different ones will be confusing and possibly muddle the Nexus branding.

Also, what would that mean for updates? Google already has to roll out waves of updates for the GN, Nexus S, etc. Would it make the process even harder and longer if they have to do it for the GN, and then 5 separate new-Nexus?

It's an exciting idea, but I'm not all convinced it's a good idea. Debatable.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
You know, I'm not fully convinced having five different Nexus phones from five different manufacturers is a good thing for the Nexus branding.

I always thought it was devices and so far we have 3 current nexus devices, 2 released since that rumor came out. So my guess if any could be that maybe 3 more devices may be on the way.

1. Nexus 7 - Tablet
  2. Nexus Q - Media Streamer
  3. Galaxy Nexus - Phone (to be replaced by something new?)
  4. ??
  5. ??

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I always thought it was devices and so far we have 3 current nexus devices, 2 released since that rumor came out. So my guess if any could be that maybe 3 more devices may be on the way.

1. Nexus 7 - Tablet
  2. Nexus Q - Media Streamer
  3. Galaxy Nexus - Phone (to be replaced by something new?)
  4. ??
  5. ??

Yeah, you and Sensamic may have it right. The rumor could very well mean that.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
If Google's Instant Upload feature works better than Photostream's "I'll upload all your photos except 5-7 that you'll need to manually do yourself" then that might be the way I have to go.

Yes it's definitely better. It not only uploads each picture you take, it also uploads video to the cloud too.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
If you can live with your current phone, I'd suggest waiting till October when the iPhone 5 is rumored to be announced and by then, weigh your options and go with what you feel works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.