Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phokus

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
That's true.

They release 5 or 6 phones every year compared to Apple's single one.

And the iPhone is still the best phone available simply because iOS is better than anything Google/Android have to offer.

iOS is pure crap. It's such a dated OS and Apple should be ashamed of itself for not updating it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
iOS is pure crap. It's such a dated OS and Apple should be ashamed of itself for not updating it.

It has been updated. You're just not paying attention.

If you want silly animations and Tron 1980's style looks, Google ICS and JB are for you

I'll take iOS.

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
What exactly is wrong with it in your opinion?

My iPhone has never crashed. Ever.

My friends Samsung Galaxy S3 crashed the day after he bought it...

And by reading all the complaints in this forum about all the problems people are having with they're iPhones makes iOS no better then Android. And just like the iPhone, there is only 1 Nexus release a year. Not 6.

If you buy a low quality android device than yes, it will have its problems. Ever since Google released the Galaxy Nexus, Android stepped up BIG time. What's even better is Project Butter in Android 4.1... Jelly bean is a huge improvement from ICS. iOS 6 seems nice but I wouldn't go as far as saying its an impressive update because I don't think so just like many others... I like both Android and iOS but Jelly Bean seems to have won this years update compared to iOS 6.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I personally would really like to manage my notes, contacts and other info much like iCloud on Android, I think the way iCloud does it is neat and clean as compared to Google....That whole Gmail linking all is quiet difficult at times for example it syncs contacts to each and every gmail account without even asking me, and since the beginning days now all my gmail accounts have unsorted, half unorganized contacts that I have to play around with in order for it to show the ones I want in the contacts settings. Also at times it shows contacts that I never even saved such as email addresses.....ever since i sent out a email to a certain address...it gets saved which is really frustrating and second of all when i view my contacts on the gmail website, it only shows half of them....the others are only visible when I sync my account with my phone....quiet frustrating. I understand they wanted to make one account for everything but...I prefer iOS way of handling contacts, notes, saved data for apps rather than Android's current messy way, I hope they in the very near future do make it much easier and more organized otherwise I say Android is pretty awesome to stick around for some if you can handle its "Simple" complicated ways for some of the things.

The Multi-tasking on Galaxy nexus is quiet good, I just don't like the whole button press idea, I prefer to access it via a gesture...since everything already touch based on the phone you would think gestures are there for such functionality......like on my iPhone I have Zephyr installed and with a swipe up I can enter multi-tasking, with a swipe I can close an app or switch between apps without ever having to touch the home button.....these options as far as I saw so far just aren't available for android even after rooting if you want to keep the phone on stock ROM (if anyone knows how to add it without flashing custom ROM do let me know please)

IMO iOS>Android in customization that is really functional and smooth, flashing ROM's is like beta testing, people never really settle with one for >6months. With iOS we wait until the next jailbreak before we jump the ship to upgrade because some features/tweaks/add-ons we add are so important that we cannot afford to give them up.

Android has great potential but I don't think it something many people will continue to enjoy >6months at a time due to lack of many apps, stock ROM customization(without having to flash things), and Integration with your desktop, tablet etc.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
The Multi-tasking on Galaxy nexus is quiet good, I just don't like the whole button press idea, I prefer to access it via a gesture...since everything already touch based on the phone you would think gestures are there for such functionality......like on my iPhone I have Zephyr installed and with a swipe up I can enter multi-tasking, with a swipe I can close an app or switch between apps without ever having to touch the home button.....these options as far as I saw so far just aren't available for android even after rooting if you want to keep the phone on stock ROM (if anyone knows how to add it without flashing custom ROM do let me know please)
There are options out there if you take the time to look. Here are a couple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJM0EqrZ7-w&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1M...xt=C30b4f29UDOEgsToPDskKFxZ2qcfQCTQbICzixuz8N

IMO iOS>Android in customization that is really functional and smooth, flashing ROM's is like beta testing, people never really settle with one for >6months. With iOS we wait until the next jailbreak before we jump the ship to upgrade because some features/tweaks/add-ons we add are so important that we cannot afford to give them up.
You've got to be kidding me. A large amount of those jailbreak "customizations" are only adding features that Android phones already have out of the box. The iOS dev community pales in comparison to the Android community. You lose all credibility even attempting to make that comparison.

FYI, custom roms are not the only way to add features to an Android phone.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
There are options out there if you take the time to look. Here are a couple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJM0EqrZ7-w&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1M...xt=C30b4f29UDOEgsToPDskKFxZ2qcfQCTQbICzixuz8N

You've got to be kidding me. A large amount of those jailbreak "customizations" are only adding features that Android phones already have out of the box. The iOS dev community pales in comparison to the Android community. You lose all credibility even attempting to make that comparison.

FYI, custom roms are not the only way to add features to an Android phone.

The dev community is what????????

Lol wow.

This guy just lost all credibility...

depths

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2012
You can easily set multitasking to open with a gesture. I have swipe up for multitasking, swipe down for settings and double tap for search.

I really don't get the hate for the Nexus on Macrumors.

It's a great looking device that runs pure Android, has a nice big screen that looks really nice with a bit of tweaking, it's dev friendly, gets quick updates and is $350 unlocked.

I've had mine since launch and I love it.

It's hard to take people seriously they talk about how **** it is.

I have Apple products, measuring the Nexus against them it doesn't fall short in any way besides lacking Jony Ive's incredible design talents.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
You can easily set multitasking to open with a gesture. I have swipe up for multitasking, swipe down for settings and double tap for search.

Can you please tell me how I can set it up to swipe up for Multitasking and maybe set something else for swipe down?

like guy above you posted links to the videos, I noticed in the videos w.e swipe you make shows up on screen which kinda looks ugly(I'm sure there is someway to turn that part off). Is it smooth and as fluent as it is on iOS? either way would still like to give it a try. Thanks

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Galaxy Note 2 (if you like phablet form factor. Will be 5.5 inch screen)

Galaxy Nexus 2

I'm assuming both phones will be utilizing ARM's new A15 chips.

and JellyBean 4.1 has 0 stuttering issues. This thing just does not lag, and I'm using it on a 8 month old Galaxy Nexus.

Aug 26, 2008
I wouldn't go as far as saying iOS is pure crap. True enough, it is behind Android in many aspects, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is pure crap.

Those links show something that's geared more toward devices with on-screen buttons. It would work for other Android phones, but it's more so designed to be an on-screen button alternative.

iOS is pretty bad though, compared to Android 4.0. And that includes iOS 6. I think once you use a good ICS phone, and you really get into using it, you see just how amazing and easy to use Android is, as well as how functional it is. That to me is the best thing about it. I was an iPhone user since the 3G version, all the way up to the 4S.

Now when I look at the iPhone I can't help but think it is a complete and utter joke, in almost every way. Everything from the design of the phone, to the design of the OS, the functionality (and lack thereof) of the OS, to how completely limiting it all is...it's really really bad, and I would venture a guess that the vast majority of iPhone users don't even realize it (naturally, otherwise why would they be using it?).

I sold my 4S today, after being an iPhone user for 4 years. It will take a miracle for them to win me back. iOS is just that awful now, compared to Android.

depths

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2012
Can you please tell me how I can set it up to swipe up for Multitasking and maybe set something else for swipe down?

like guy above you posted links to the videos, I noticed in the videos w.e swipe you make shows up on screen which kinda looks ugly(I'm sure there is someway to turn that part off). Is it smooth and as fluent as it is on iOS? either way would still like to give it a try. Thanks

Grab Apex Launcher from the Play Store and in settings/behaviour settings you can assign gestures.

Great launcher that you can leave as stock as you like and it plays nice with Jellybean.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm surprised for the hatred of iOS here. Its really not that bad and a lot of people prefer it, I usually use my 4S as a phone and my Xoom for a tablet. I also own a Razr and iPad 2 but my 4S and Xoom are my go to. Both have the latest updates so I get the best of both worlds, just need to get a windows device now..

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Grab Apex Launcher from the Play Store and in settings/behaviour settings you can assign gestures.

Great launcher that you can leave as stock as you like and it plays nice with Jellybean.

No way to add the gestures without having to slap on a launcher? I like my GNexus Stock as possible with the addition of root access and adding gestures....like on iOS we don't have to add a launcher to add gestures/functionality...again personally I like my phone to look as stock/basic as possible without having anything overlaying the stock/basic UI.

Let me know if any way of adding it as a settings add-on...otherwise i think ill pass and continue to not like the multitasking button....and hope in the near future there is such add-on

depths

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2012
I don't think it's possible with the stock launcher.

You should consider giving Apex a go some day. It's a 5mb download and as easy to uninstall as any app.

You could keep the same setup as stock along with gestures. When you first install it things are setup a little different (multiple docks and a few icons on the desktop ect) but they're easy fixes.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The dev community is what????????

Lol wow.

This guy just lost all credibility...

Have you seen how many negative votes each of your posts have? And how many people on other threads think you are a fanboy? Why would that be?

Its pretty obvious no one here takes you seriously after reading your comments. You are the one who has lost ALL credibility (a while ago)...

Last edited:

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
No way to add the gestures without having to slap on a launcher? I like my GNexus Stock as possible with the addition of root access and adding gestures....like on iOS we don't have to add a launcher to add gestures/functionality...again personally I like my phone to look as stock/basic as possible without having anything overlaying the stock/basic UI.

Let me know if any way of adding it as a settings add-on...otherwise i think ill pass and continue to not like the multitasking button....and hope in the near future there is such add-on

^very ignorant. have you SEEN apex launcher? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.