Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
here we are in 2023, and i'm using an original iPhone SE (2018). i like the small form factor. battery is in need of replacement. has a 128 gb drive. software update stuck in 15's. what should i do? i like the headphone jack. i'm happy enough with the device. i'm afraid it is going to fade away like my beloved 4S. i have handled someones 13 mini, which seems pretty close in size (i like one handed operation, and disappear into my pocket). i don't get the impression Apple is going to go small again.

mrfunnypenguin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
If it needs a battery replacement, I believe that would only cost $49 (from Apple itself). If you don't mind not getting the latest features (like customized lock screen) then you should be good because iOS 15 is still getting security updates. Changing the battery can breathe new life into a smartphone.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I booked in a battery replacement with Apple over a week ago for my SE1 and the device is performing well. It’s on iOS 15.7.3 and handles everything perfectly with a decent enough battery life. Go on the Apple support website and book your SE1 in for a battery replacement. Although that model of iPhone is officially a legacy device, I reckon it’ll still run everything perfectly for around another 2 years.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Battery life won’t be amazing with a battery replacement but it should be decent enough for a light user. You like the device and there’s no direct replacement, so I’d give it a shot. Replace the battery and see if it works for you. That’s what I’d do, anyway.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
I booked in a battery replacement with Apple over a week ago for my SE1 and the device is performing well. It’s on iOS 15.7.3 and handles everything perfectly with a decent enough battery life. Go on the Apple support website and book your SE1 in for a battery replacement. Although that model of iPhone is officially a legacy device, I reckon it’ll still run everything perfectly for around another 2 years.
I’m at 15.0. Any real reason to do the last update 15.7.3?

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
Battery life won’t be amazing with a battery replacement but it should be decent enough for a light user. You like the device and there’s no direct replacement, so I’d give it a shot. Replace the battery and see if it works for you. That’s what I’d do, anyway.
Why won’t it be the same as it was when new? Diffferent battery, or are you comparing to current models?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
here we are in 2023, and i'm using an original iPhone SE (2018). i like the small form factor. battery is in need of replacement. has a 128 gb drive. software update stuck in 15's. what should i do? i like the headphone jack. i'm happy enough with the device. i'm afraid it is going to fade away like my beloved 4S. i have handled someones 13 mini, which seems pretty close in size (i like one handed operation, and disappear into my pocket). i don't get the impression Apple is going to go small again.

Last April, I went from an iPhone SE1 (2016) to the 13 Mini. I too like the smaller size, and I tried a larger phone 6s Plus in 2015, I hated the size and it was impossible for me to use one-handed.

I don't love the 13 Mini, nor Face ID, but it is a good size compared the other iPhones. The battery life is amazing on the 13 Mini, I hardly ever have to deliberately charge it. The 13 Mini is very noticeably faster than my SE1.

I still prefer the size of the SE1, but not unhappy at all with the purchase of the 13 Mini.

BTW, the iPhone 4s has been my favorite, overall iPhone design.

Reactions: Xand&Roby and rwh63

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
Last April, I went from an iPhone SE1 (2016) to the 13 Mini. I too like the smaller size, and I tried a larger phone 6s Plus in 2015, I hated the size and it was impossible for me to use one-handed.

I don't love the 13 Mini, nor Face ID, but it is a good size compared the other iPhones. The battery life is amazing on the 13 Mini, I hardly ever have to deliberately charge it. The 13 Mini is very noticeably faster than my SE1.

I still prefer the size of the SE1, but not unhappy at all with the purchase of the 13 Mini.

BTW, the iPhone 4s has been my favorite, overall iPhone design.
face id optional?

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm a weird case. I had a 1st gen SE 2016, upgraded to iPhone 11, and hated it because it had no headphone jack, and was too large. I downgraded back to a new refurb 1st gen SE. Eventually though, I decided that since the SE was losing iOS support anyway, I might as well go back even further.

Now I'm using an iPhone 4 daily, tweaked to do what I need it to do. I rely much less on phones than I used to, so this is a perfect solution for me. But I understand that it may not be for you, especially if your 3G network is shut down.
If I were in your case, I'd either replace the battery or get a new Android phone that's small and has a headphone jack. They do exist.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
I'm a weird case. I had a 1st gen SE 2016, upgraded to iPhone 11, and hated it because it had no headphone jack, and was too large. I downgraded back to a new refurb 1st gen SE. Eventually though, I decided that since the SE was losing iOS support anyway, I might as well go back even further.

Now I'm using an iPhone 4 daily, tweaked to do what I need it to do. I rely much less on phones than I used to, so this is a perfect solution for me. But I understand that it may not be for you, especially if your 3G network is shut down.
If I were in your case, I'd either replace the battery or get a new Android phone that's small and has a headphone jack. They do exist.
I’d still be using my 4s if 3g didn’t disappear. Now I use it as a spare music player.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I think the iPhone 5 and 5S work with 4G, so they are an option too.

Really depends on region. For the US VoLTE is a requirement. So iPhone 6 and later for our carriers. The iPhone SE 2016 is the very last of the 4.0” phones compatible on modern networks and with security patches.

I’d agree iPhone 13 mini is best case replacement and what I’ve finally settled on as well.

Left my SE on iOS 13.7 and it runs smooooth with a newish battery. But the 12 or 13 mini run circles around it with heavy weight apps and of course photographic capabilities.

Reactions: mectojic

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
thx for the replies. i will probably do the battery before the price bump in march. i guess if they damage it in-store, i might get a free 13 mini!

Why? It's not like Apple has any shortage of refurb iPhone SE 2016.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Why won’t it be the same as it was when new? Diffferent battery, or are you comparing to current models?

Batteries age the moment they leave the factory. It's unlikely anybody is replacing their iPhone SE battery these days so it means you'll likely be given stale stock. iOS 15 is also more demanding than iOS 9.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Original SE came out in 2016 not 2018… just saying. 😇

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’m at 15.0. Any real reason to do the last update 15.7.3?
Security updates are probably important if you use it as your main device and you have sensitive information stored. Bug fixes also. There is no reason so stay on 15.0, which is the buggiest version of iOS 15, when 15.7 is the last available major update for your device. You also have of update to the latest version if you are going to Apple for a battery replacement.

For your note, I would not trust third party battery replacements. They are VERY hit and miss and will almost certainly provide you with an inferior quality of battery.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
For your note, I would not trust third party battery replacements. They are VERY hit and miss and will almost certainly provide you with an inferior quality of battery.
Most certainly not. I have replaced the batteries in my SE 1st gen myself with PolarCell batteries, and they not only last but outperforms the original battery (newer batteries are even stronger). But you are quite right that there are worthless batteries out there and it is safer to stick with the original if you don't know your stuff and can do the job yourself.

dump.png

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
Owner of a beloved white 4S, then 5s (only ‘cause I had it at a cheap price), and then an (seven, onestly) SE16, I’m quite satisfied with the 13 mini. It's bigger, heavier, Apple batteries are ridiculed by iOS, but it's the closest solution to the experience of using real iPhones, those that can be used with one hand. 13 mini is the answer, it isn’t perfect, instead of others iPhone is a phone, not a wannabe tablet.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Owner of a beloved white 4S, then 5s (only ‘cause I had it at a cheap price), and then an (seven, onestly) SE16, I’m quite satisfied with the 13 mini. It's bigger, heavier, Apple batteries are ridiculed by iOS, but it's the closest solution to the experience of using real iPhones, those that can be used with one hand. 13 mini is the answer, it isn’t perfect, instead of others iPhone is a phone, not a wannabe tablet.
I also have a 13 mini as my daily driver now. Used to have an SE 1st gen, and before that a 5s. The 13 mini is a little too big IMO, but I certainly don't mind the much bigger screen. Love Face ID, also. It's a keeper for many years to come, I hope.

Reactions: Xand&Roby

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Most certainly not. I have replaced the batteries in my SE 1st gen myself with PolarCell batteries, and they not only last but outperforms the original battery (newer batteries are even stronger). But you are quite right that there are worthless batteries out there and it is safer to stick with the original if you don't know your stuff and can do the job yourself.

View attachment 2156424
I didn’t say ALL third party batteries are inferior to OEM batteries. If you go to a third party repair shop, you will almost certainly be given an inferior battery. That’s just a simple fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.