Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
As others have stated, we too replaced both our SE1 and iPhone7 with two iPhone13mini’s. We never really used the headphone jacks on the earlier models, and we’ve adapted easily from TouchID to FaceID. The only major loss to us has been the physical Home button. It was so simple to press a single real button to return from wherever we were in the menu system to Home. Now it is a swipe-fest. More interactions, repeat inputs, etc. Still, love the 13minis for their must faster speeds in every aspect.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Not exactly, but considering some of the other benefits it might deserve consideration.
Yeah, it is genuinely the last of its kind which is a shame as newer SEs are far heavier and larger to hold.

The only benefits vs the mainline Apple phones are the price and home button along with the LCD screen if you are PWM sensitive.

The SE line is no longer interesting to me as they pivoted away from the iPhone 5 shell. I would purchase an updated SE1 tomorrow if they released such a device.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Yeah, it is genuinely the last of its kind which is a shame as newer SEs are far heavier and larger to hold.

The only benefits vs the mainline Apple phones are the price and home button along with the LCD screen if you are PWM sensitive.

The SE line is no longer interesting to me as they pivoted away from the iPhone 5 shell. I would purchase an updated SE1 tomorrow if they released such a device.
Just a thought.
I never researched them much before because when I did I was fixated on a 13 mini which turned out to be too small for my eyes, so I chose a 13 pro instead.
Loved the form factor of the mini.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I didn’t say ALL third party batteries are inferior to OEM batteries.
You wrote: ”I would not trust third party battery replacements”. What's the difference?

If you go to a third party repair shop, you will almost certainly be given an inferior battery. That’s just a simple fact.
No, it isn't. I go to a third party repair shop, (I don't do glued glass phones), and there you can choose an original battery, which is pairable, or an equivalent battery without pairing (you'll get a warning in Settings). They are both good batteries but the pairable is more expensive. You should be careful with your simple facts.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Why won’t it be the same as it was when new? Diffferent battery, or are you comparing to current models?
iOS 15 is far more demanding, it lasts 50-60% of what iOS 9-10 lasted back when it was new. Should you be a light user, however, it might be enough for you. That’s why I said you could give it a shot. It should give you 4-5 hours of LTE usage. You have to determine whether that’s enough for you.
aren't new SEs currently available?
Yes, but they do not have the 4-inch form factor. That one is the best iPhone with that portability and comfort. New SEs are not a replacement, they are a compromise (for users who value the original SE, anyway).

If OP likes the form factor and is okay with tolerating the progressive compatibility loss of iOS 15 (which, if the OP is a light user, might be several years away), why not replace the battery and give it a shot for a little while longer?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
iOS 15 is far more demanding, it lasts 50-60% of what iOS 9-10 lasted back when it was new. Should you be a light user, however, it might be enough for you. That’s why I said you could give it a shot. It should give you 4-5 hours of LTE usage. You have to determine whether that’s enough for you.

Yes, but they do not have the 4-inch form factor. That one is the best iPhone with that portability and comfort. New SEs are not a replacement, they are a compromise (for users who value the original SE, anyway).

If OP likes the form factor and is okay with tolerating the progressive compatibility loss of iOS 15 (which, if the OP is a light user, might be several years away), why not replace the battery and give it a shot for a little while longer?
Yeah, OK, I'm all for it.

jimlat

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
thx for the replies. i will probably do the battery before the price bump in march. i guess if they damage it in-store, i might get a free 13 mini!
If they break it during repair at the store, they replace it like for like at the battery cost (that’s the advantage over a 3rd party repair shop)…may be a week or so wait if they don’t have a full unit in stock…might want to have them make sure of a full unit before the repair or you may be without a phone for a few days…of course that’s worst case scenario…battery replacement repair may go perfectly…

Last edited:

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Replace the battery. The 13 mini is a huge upgrade in specific ways, but some of the things you like about the SE1 (size, Touch ID, headphone jack) are downgrades. For fans of the SE1, the 13 mini is too tall, primarily.

I would stick with your SE1 with a fresh battery until it becomes too slow and unreliable to use daily. It’s also more eco-friendly to elongate its’ life.

Reactions: SpotOnT

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
Before buying the 13 mini I replaced 3 batteries from Apple (between 2016~2018 7 iPhone SE), every 6 months they were to be thrown away, with iOS 14 and 15. The same genius seeing the consumption graphs told me that changing it again would not solve anything: the battery was charging and collapsing in 4 hours. I experienced this behavior since iOS 13, in 2020, with the introduction of COVID tracking, but it was not the problem, it was iCloud that had incredible peaks of use on closed apps. Never solved indeed worsened over time. Personally, given my experience, I don't recommend spending more money on it, but if your SE works well, evaluate.

The 13 mini also has similar problems. Restoring doesn't change anything. Having a larger and newer battery the problem is seen less.My mini loses 1~2% every month, the worst iPhone ever since my first 3Gs. In 18 months the battery will need to be replaced. Thanks Apple.

mattj88

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2023
I have both the SE1 and SE2(2020). I love the SE platform. Recently, At&T changed priority on 5G towers here and I couldn't even make a phone call. They use some BS called 5Ge, that simply doesn't work. The SE2 is NOT 5G capable. So, I was talked into a 13 Mini, with real 5G. I actually learned to like it a lot, EXCEPT, the camera uses the newer multi-lens system (2 lenses) and it DOES NOT navigate between the two lenses well. Appears to be a known issue with the 13 Mini that Apple will not address (software). Can't confirm that though. Anyway, I want to go back to the SE3 (single camera lens still), but I can't find a used one with 256GB of memory storage (which I need for my current video shooting program). So, I would either have to buy the SE3 new, for over $600 and I can't stomach that yet. :). The Mini is actually smaller, but it's hard to navigate the screen in one hand like the SE, since the screen is actually larger (thinner frame/bezel).

Reactions: rwh63

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The most limiting with the SE1 is the RAM (apps reloading and web pages crashing/reloading) and layout issues with newer app versions that aren’t tested on that screen size any more. Eventually, apps and web pages will stop working on iOS 15.

Your best bet is to get an iPhone mini 13 before they get discontinued. Not necessarily right now, you may be still fine with the SE for a while. The iPhone mini is noticeably larger and heavier than the SE1, but still the best/only currently available compact phone.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
I have both the SE1 and SE2(2020). I love the SE platform. Recently, At&T changed priority on 5G towers here and I couldn't even make a phone call. They use some BS called 5Ge, that simply doesn't work. The SE2 is NOT 5G capable. So, I was talked into a 13 Mini, with real 5G. I actually learned to like it a lot, EXCEPT, the camera uses the newer multi-lens system (2 lenses) and it DOES NOT navigate between the two lenses well. Appears to be a known issue with the 13 Mini that Apple will not address (software). Can't confirm that though. Anyway, I want to go back to the SE3 (single camera lens still), but I can't find a used one with 256GB of memory storage (which I need for my current video shooting program). So, I would either have to buy the SE3 new, for over $600 and I can't stomach that yet. :). The Mini is actually smaller, but it's hard to navigate the screen in one hand like the SE, since the screen is actually larger (thinner frame/bezel).
similar thing happened with me using my 4s and t-mobile. they upgraded their systems, and the 4s was dropped. but, t-mobile was good, and gave me (and others) a significant discount to upgrade the phone, which i did with the SE1.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
The most limiting with the SE1 is the RAM (apps reloading and web pages crashing/reloading) and layout issues with newer app versions that aren’t tested on that screen size any more. Eventually, apps and web pages will stop working on iOS 15.

Your best bet is to get an iPhone mini 13 before they get discontinued. Not necessarily right now, you may be still fine with the SE for a while. The iPhone mini is noticeably larger and heavier than the SE1, but still the best/only currently available compact phone.
i went to Apple store today and got the $49 battery replacement service. while there, did examine the 13 mini, SE3, and others. i could live with the 13 mini size. don't like no home button or jack, though i guess there is an adapter for a jack. 13 mini is thicker than SE1, which might prevent back pocket bending (which they noticed mine has a little of, even though it is always hard cased).

Last edited:
Reactions: Andeddu and SpotOnT

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Personally, I would have put that $49 to the 13 Mini since iOS support for the SE1 is pretty nonexistent. Plus lots of carriers are giving away free 13 Minis right now.

But if you think you might use the SE1 for something else after you upgrade, than ya, get a new battery now and you can always upgrade later.

The OLED display on the Mini is so much nicer than the SE- (assuming you aren’t sensitive to PWM), plus the battery life is worlds better.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Why won’t it be the same as it was when new? Diffferent battery, or are you comparing to current models?
The hardware is not optimized to the software. I have se 1st gen. Even with the battery swap it’s still isn’t great battry life. Better than it dying without warning but still. It also heats up quickly unfortunately. Anyway I’d stick to it if you can but there’s always the 13 mini looming by.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
Personally, I would have put that $49 to the 13 Mini since iOS support for the SE1 is pretty nonexistent. Plus lots of carriers are giving away free 13 Minis right now.

But if you think you might use the SE1 for something else after you upgrade, than ya, get a new battery now and you can always upgrade later.

The OLED display on the Mini is so much nicer than the SE- (assuming you aren’t sensitive to PWM), plus the battery life is worlds better.
Decided I’d rather do 50 than at least 600. Carriers don’t give 13’s away, you have to commit long term and it’s built into the monthly payment (that old method). Mine is unlocked and I can take it anywhere at any plan level. I expect to get another year out if this one. By then I can get a refurb 13.

Reactions: Annv

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
The hardware is not optimized to the software. I have se 1st gen. Even with the battery swap it’s still isn’t great battry life. Better than it dying without warning but still. It also heats up quickly unfortunately. Anyway I’d stick to it if you can but there’s always the 13 mini looming by.
Mine never gets hot. I do think the original battery suffered going to 15. I’ll monitor the new battery.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Decided I’d rather do 50 than at least 600. Carriers don’t give 13’s away, you have to commit long term and it’s built into the monthly payment (that old method). Mine is unlocked and I can take it anywhere at any plan level. I expect to get another year out if this one. By then I can get a refurb 13.

Unless you are on some old grandfathered cell plan, the major carriers no longer lock people in with long term commitments (with early termination fees, etc). What they do is give you a loan for the device, and then bill credits evenly spread out over 24-36 months that cover the cost of the device payments. So if you leave the carrier, they stop paying off your device, but every month you choose to stay with them, you get 1/24th or 1/36th of the price of the phone reduced. So even if you just stay 3-6 months, you still save money compared to buying the phone outright.

Again, I am not sure what kind of plan system you are on, or if you are even with a major carrier, but I just shopped around and got my sister the 13 Mini with a device loan. The cell plan would have cost her the same with or without the device, so no it is not built in to the plan cost (at least not in the way that the carriers used to do it about a decade ago).

Edit: we have tried cheaper, alternative plans before, but they all tend to get second class treatment on the network (which is clearly stated in the fine print to be fair). The end result is that during rush hour every day, any major event, etc. we can’t use the phone at all. So we are kind of roped into sticking with one of the major carriers and their silly plans where we live.

Last edited:

Annv

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2019
I also have a 1st gen SE, and I don’t upgrade. It's still a capable phone, 2 GB of RAM are enough for the current web and apps, the headphone jack is something I'd never give up, and security updates should be released for years to come.

Personally, I believe the 1st gen SE is the pinnacle of Apple phone design, and newer models feel like they are from a different company. Swiping is not as comfortable as the home button. The screen is not as nice, somewhat oversaturated, and straining for some people (like myself).

As to the battery:

It's possible to optimize its usage by limiting background activity, location services, analytics, and more, as well as reducing motion (animations) and applying an ad blocker in Safari. I cannot find the exact article I used for that, but there's many of them online, for example https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-battery-tips/ (I wouldn't do all they suggest, though, just apply what you find reasonable for your use cases). That'll make it a bit snappier and allow to last longer.

AFAIR, early 15.x.x versions drained the battery more than the current 15.7.3, so I'd upgrade to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwh63 and Andeddu

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I've just replaced my OG SE (2016) with 13Mini. Had Apple change the battery on the SE a yr ago and got my all day battery back. However, after some iteration of 15.x screen times were severely shortened. Disappointing but not end of world as it's now my Home remote, spare phone.

The 13 Mini I absolutely love.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
Unless you are on some old grandfathered cell plan, the major carriers no longer lock people in with long term commitments (with early termination fees, etc). What they do is give you a loan for the device, and then bill credits evenly spread out over 24-36 months that cover the cost of the device payments. So if you leave the carrier, they stop paying off your device, but every month you choose to stay with them, you get 1/24th or 1/36th of the price of the phone reduced. So even if you just stay 3-6 months, you still save money compared to buying the phone outright.

Again, I am not sure what kind of plan system you are on, or if you are even with a major carrier, but I just shopped around and got my sister the 13 Mini with a device loan. The cell plan would have cost her the same with or without the device, so no it is not built in to the plan cost (at least not in the way that the carriers used to do it about a decade ago).

Edit: we have tried cheaper, alternative plans before, but they all tend to get second class treatment on the network (which is clearly stated in the fine print to be fair). The end result is that during rush hour every day, any major event, etc. we can’t use the phone at all. So we are kind of roped into sticking with one of the major carriers and their silly plans where we live.
This phone is currently the third line on t mobile costing $20/month. If it went solo, probably $25-30 pre paid plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.