Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Hi all,

I need some help, I have searched and pretty much performed fresh install and most if not every solution I could find.

I have High Sierra 10.13.6 build (17G14042), I have installed CUDA version 418.163 and Nvidia Web Graphics version 387.10.10.10.40.140.

However my Nvidia GTX 980 ti, still struggles to work, everytime I reboot it shows MacOS graphics as default and when I change to Nvidia through preference it ask me to reboot and the same thing again.

In Cuda window it shows "Cuda driver version 418.163 : no gpu detected".

The screen is very glitchy with flickers etc. the graphics card worked fine in El Capitan.

Also after installing this card, on reboot prior to apple logo, I receive a black screen with

"APFSSTART : 1456 : Mounting with apfs.efi.osx-740.77.12"........

Would appreciate help if anyone has managed to work around this issue.

Thanks

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The Nvidia control panel needs to set some NVRAM variables.
SIP is disabled?
You're not using OpenCore?
nvram boot-args
nvram -p | grep -i nv

I think the missing nvram variable can be set using this:
sudo nvram NvidiaWeb=1

This info is mostly for hackintoshes but some of it applies to normal Macs:

This guide is for old Macs:

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
The Nvidia control panel needs to set some NVRAM variables.
SIP is disabled?
You're not using OpenCore?
nvram boot-args
nvram -p | grep -i nv

I think the missing nvram variable can be set using this:
sudo nvram NvidiaWeb=1

This info is mostly for hackintoshes but some of it applies to normal Macs:

This guide is for old Macs:
Thanks I'll give a try and keep you posted.

Mine is not hackintosh and infact Mid 2012 5.1 version.

I had SIP disabled during update of OS, but believe you me I've been trying to get the OS update for last few days and only manage to do it this afternoon.

Sorry for being lame, but do I need to put the code you mentioned in the Terminal window? for NVRAM

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The first two lines will examine nvram.
The third line will set the NvidiaWeb nvram variable to 1.
Do the first two lines to make sure the change has been applied. Check again after a restart to make sure the change has stuck after a reboot.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
The first two lines will examine nvram.
The third line will set the NvidiaWeb nvram variable to 1.
Do the first two lines to make sure the change has been applied. Check again after a restart to make sure the change has stuck after a reboot.
Thanks,

I tried the first line "nvram boot-args" and got the following
nvram: Error getting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) data was not found

The second line "nvram -p | grep -i nv" doesn't bring anything I'm afraid. Nothing at all.

the last line sudo nvram NvidiaWeb=1, ask me to put my password and that's it.

The graphics card I'm using is ROM Revision : MacVidCards

I have removed cuda, webdrivers again few times but no luck so far it just keeps on going back to the default OS drivers.

MAC OS: 10.13.6 (17G14042)

I'm very much fedup now and would really like some kind of solution, before I downgrade back to El capitan.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Do you have SIP enabled?
I disabled SIP in Terminal using "crsutil disable"

I'm not sure if I did it right but I used the following code in terminal "sudo nvram boot-args="-v"" Now when I shut down or restart, it shows a long dos command style script. Have i messed it up more ?

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
I disabled SIP in Terminal using "crsutil disable"

I'm not sure if I did it right but I used the following code in terminal "sudo nvram boot-args="-v"" Now when I shut down or restart, it shows a long dos command style script. Have i messed it up more ?
I think I have deleted the -v boot-args, phew.

Anyways, when I run the "nvram -p" command, I get the following result.

BluetoothInternalControllerinfo %15%82%ac.............
fmm-compuer-name
SystemAudioVolumeDB
bluetoothActiveControllerInfo
SystemAudioVolume
LocationServicesEnabled
EFIBluetoothDela

these all have some value starting with %

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
ok. If SIP is disabled then you should have no problems setting NVRAM.

Do the thing where I said "Do the first two lines to make sure the change has been applied".

I asked if you were using OpenCore? You said you don't have a Hackintosh. That doesn't mean you're not using OpenCore since people use OpenCore on old Mac Pros to enable updates in Catalina.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Hi I'm not using OpenCore, (honestly speaking I don't really know what that is, sorry) this is a fresh install of High Sierra and I have not installed anything else. just trying to get the Video card working.

So with reagards to the code you mentioned, I need to ensure that SIP is disabled, then go into terminal and type the command (two lines)

Is that suppose to be when I'm booting the system holding Command + R, or I can do that after I'm logged into my profile.

Today I have done again downgrade to High Sierra 17G6030 and downloaded the relevant Nvidia drivers.

Now for the first time I got this error, not sure how I got that but I guess there is some progress or not.
nvram: Error getting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) general error

Do I need to have a partition on the drive OS drive for this to work, I've main SSD which has OS on it and is is MAC APFS volume (whatever that is).

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
I have just disabled the SIP by login into recovery (command R),

I have attached some of the screen shots as well as some system information. Really appreciate you taking time to help. Thanks so much, just want this to get working.

System Software Overview:
System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G6030)
Kernel Version: Darwin 17.7.0
Boot Volume: SSD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
System Integrity Protection: Enabled

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 TI:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 TI
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 6144 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
ROM Revision: MacVidCards

Attachments

• Cuda Screenshot.png
    Cuda Screenshot.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Nvidia Driver Screen.png
    Nvidia Driver Screen.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 276
  • Terminal window.png
    Terminal window.png
    84 KB · Views: 238

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
It's ok for boot-args not to exist. Try the second line to see if the third line worked.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
There's a list of Nvidia drivers at https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...tes-for-macos-high-sierra-update-nov-13-2020/

You have the driver version for macOS 10.13.6 17G6030 but you have version 17G14042. You need to update the Nvidia drivers.
Hi yes I had initially verion 17G14042, but I downgraded to 17G6030 as someone suggested that Cuda or Nvidia drivers hasn't been working with latest update.

Anyways I tried the codes and unfortunately didn't had much luck.

so in terminal, first thing I have done is put nvram -p to get the list, there is no mention of NVidiaWeb =1 etc.

So I go and put the boot-args code, which gives me Nvram: error.. data not found.

then I do the second line code as suggested. and press enter, it doesn't do anything and goes to the next line.

here I put the 3rd command sudo nvram NvidiaWeb=1, it ask me for passwork which I put and then it goes to next line.

Now here I put again nvram -p to see the list of things

Now here in the list I can see NvidiaWeb 1

In the Cuda I can still see NO GPU DETECTED message.

I reboot the machine and everything goes to the same, i.e. all the changes made have revereted back to whatever default is.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Do these commands, compress the files into a zip file using the Finder, and attach the result.
Code:
system_profiler > system_profiler.txt
ioreg -fliw0 > ioreg.txt

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Do these commands, compress the files into a zip file using the Finder, and attach the result.
Code:
system_profiler > system_profiler.txt
ioreg -fliw0 > ioreg.txt
Hi, please see attached.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    352.8 KB · Views: 121

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Any luck??
The nvram contents is missing the NvidiaWeb variable. Did you try to set it? Does it go away after a restart?

You need to be able to set the nvram variable like this:
sudo nvram NvidiaWeb=1

And see the result:
nvram -p

It should look like this:
NvidiaWeb 1

You should be able to restart, and see that the nvram variable remains when you look at them again:
nvram -p

You can try different variable names, like Test123.

If the variables don't appear, then maybe there's a problem with your NVRAM.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
The nvram contents is missing the NvidiaWeb variable. Did you try to set it? Does it go away after a restart?

You need to be able to set the nvram variable like this:
sudo nvram NvidiaWeb=1

And see the result:
nvram -p

It should look like this:
NvidiaWeb 1

You should be able to restart, and see that the nvram variable remains when you look at them again:
nvram -p

You can try different variable names, like Test123.

If the variables don't appear, then maybe there's a problem with your NVRAM.
I did put the nvram content, and then checked that with nvram -p, it showed in the list. however after the restart it goes away. It is happening all the time.

I guess it's removing them on restart so will look into the link you sent. Is there any easy solution to that.

Thanks.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Did you test NVRAM variables with random names to be sure the problem is not specific to the NvidiaWeb variable?

I guess you can ask in the Boot ROM thread for solutions where NVRAM variables not being preserved after a restart.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
So as you suggested, should I replace "1" with putting 1234 or something, in the "sudo nvram NvidiaWeb=1" and see if it retains the random value after restart, if it doens;t then as you suggested I'll ask in the Boot ROM tread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.