Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
So as you suggested, should I replace "1" with putting 1234 or something, in the "sudo nvram NvidiaWeb=1" and see if it retains the random value after restart, if it doens;t then as you suggested I'll ask in the Boot ROM tread.
I suggested changing the name of the variable, not the value
sudo nvram myspecialtestvariablename=1

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
I suggested changing the name of the variable, not the value
sudo nvram myspecialtestvariablename=1
Oh Ok, apologies for this. I'm new to this coding etc. so wasn't sure if I needed to change the variable name or the actual value.

I'll just change variable name keeping the value as 1 and see if it retains the value after reboot. Thanks

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
hi, I tried to reset the NVRAM and every time after reboot it takes the value away, I tried to change the variable, it shows in the list by nvram -p command but after that it takes it away after reboot. Very annoying.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Try asking for suggestions in the BootROM thread.
Do you need a new battery?
Use Terminal.app from macOS Installer USB to try changing NVRAM?
Maybe your NVRAM is corrupt.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Thanks I asked as you suggested on the other thread, I've been told to hard reset the NVRAM by pressing the cmd+alt+p+r and it works so far. Thank you so much.

I think the guy is saying that I need to clean up boot rom / reconstruct it. not sure but seems like he know what he is talking about. so will give it a try.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Now I need to find out why I'm getting that APFS black screen in the beginning before the Apple logo on restart of the machine. Any idea.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Do you mean APFS black screen with text? That's normal when booting APFS.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Yes, that is the one, black screen with text, if that's normal then fine, I never seen that before so wasn't sure if that is normal or not, it also only shows when I've the 980 GPU, if I change and put back 5770 then I don't think the screen with text shown in the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.