Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ellezk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Hi,

I’m wanting to buy the 2020 macbook air, as pretty much everything about it suits my needs/wants perfectly...

However, I’ve been seeing a lot of negative reports regarding the fan/throttling issues (some saying it idles at 100 celsius??)

For context, I’m a college student who will be doing zero photo/video editing, gaming, coding. I will just be doing a lot of writing and normal internet browsing (emails, research, video streaming, etc), maybe a powerpoint here and there.

Do you think I will experience the overheating issues doing these tasks on the base model?

And please, don’t make this a windows vs apple thing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
I don’t have a MacBook Air (I’ve ordered it though!) but I think a lot of the issues have been blown out of proportion. There’s some helpful videos which point it out and prove it. I think if you stress test there will be issues but for you, you won’t that that issue. For your needs it sounds like a great machine.

Ellezk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
I don’t have a MacBook Air (I’ve ordered it though!) but I think a lot of the issues have been blown out of proportion. There’s some helpful videos which point it out and prove it. I think if you stress test there will be issues but for you, you won’t that that issue. For your needs it sounds like a great machine.
Thank you so much for your reply! I think I will go ahead and order—besides, the quarantine has extended the return policy, so I’m sure I’ll be fine whether I decide to keep or not. If you can spare the time once you get it, I would love to hear your thoughts then, too!

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
If it makes you feel better - here’s a video which addresses the heat issue:

And no problem - happy to provide an update!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.