Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I found an old iPod 16g from a long time ago (model MA627LL). While flipping through it, I discovered pictures that I thought were long lost after a system crash and I can't sync it to my current incarnation of iTunes. (No surprise there I guess)

So how can I get the pics off this archaic dinosaur? It's got iOS version 1.1.5, and I get the message 'iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch because an invalid response was received from the device'. Well DUH! It's probably speaking Sanskrit and this new iTunes is saying 'Huh?'

Are earlier versions of iTunes available for Windows XP? That's the only thing that I can think of, is loading a Fusion machine with XP, and finding an old (ancient) version of iTunes somewhere to suck the data off it. I don't see Mail, so this was probably from way before Mail was possible on an iPod. I can't upgrade it, because it's not speaking the right language...

Thanks for your help and ideas...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Try uploading them somewhere with Safari? (I don't remember how far back we could use the photo browser) Doesn't have to necessarily be Dropbox/OneDrive/etc, could use the built-in file server in a documents app on another device.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Try uploading them somewhere with Safari? (I don't remember how far back we could use the photo browser) Doesn't have to necessarily be Dropbox/OneDrive/etc, could use the built-in file server in a documents app on another device.

I hadn't thought of that.

This thing is pre-Bluetooth and I was just thinking that I don't know what version of iTunes would support this and yet still run on Windows XP (2000?) If it weren't for the pics on it, I'd probably take it to a recycle place nearby.

Thanks, worth a try.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
These devices should show up as a camera if the photos are in the Camera Roll, and Windows Explorer should be able to export them to your file system.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
These devices should show up as a camera if the photos are in the Camera Roll, and Windows Explorer should be able to export them to your file system.

I've only got one Windows machine here, out of 6 macs. I'm sure it might like the attention. I'll try that. Still have to do the wifi. Did they support enterprise security that long ago? Guess I'll find out.

Thanks for the idea!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Image Capture on Mac should also be able to see the iPod as a generic camera device if that helps.

It doesn't show on the desktop. I'm not thinking that the file system mounted at all. If it doesn't mount, I doubt that I would ever see it. I'll try...

I'll try anything unless I think it might be damaging to the data...

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Image Capture on Mac should also be able to see the iPod as a generic camera device if that helps.
I was originally going to suggest this, but I assumed you didn't have a Mac because of asking about Windows XP. Let us know if anything works!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I was originally going to suggest this, but I assumed you didn't have a Mac because of asking about Windows XP. Let us know if anything works!

I mentioned XP because I figured if I needed an old version of iTunes, I could find it better for that OS.

Also, since macOS seems to be in a snit over talking to this iPod, I doubt that anything will converse with it. I'll try it again and see if it mounts. I've been busy with life, but need to get this finished...

Interesting, Photos comes up and says 'NO PHOTOS'... Didn't do that before. Hmm...
[doublepost=1491399748][/doublepost]

Comes up with nothing... :-(
[doublepost=1491400440][/doublepost]According to df and mount, the iPod doesn't mount. I don't know if they do actually mount. Will look into that. I'd 'assume' they mount to be accessible.

macbookfan

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
MA627LL does not have a built in camera. This means any photos on the device were synced to it from a computer or downloaded from the net. That also means it will not show up as a camera in Image capture or windows explorer.

The only way to get synced images off that old device would be to upload them each with a app or email them to yourself.

I found an old iPod 16g from a long time ago (model MA627LL). While flipping through it, I discovered pictures that I thought were long lost after a system crash and I can't sync it to my current incarnation of iTunes. (No surprise there I guess)

So how can I get the pics off this archaic dinosaur? It's got iOS version 1.1.5, and I get the message 'iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch because an invalid response was received from the device'. Well DUH! It's probably speaking Sanskrit and this new iTunes is saying 'Huh?'

Are earlier versions of iTunes available for Windows XP? That's the only thing that I can think of, is loading a Fusion machine with XP, and finding an old (ancient) version of iTunes somewhere to suck the data off it. I don't see Mail, so this was probably from way before Mail was possible on an iPod. I can't upgrade it, because it's not speaking the right language...

Thanks for your help and ideas...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
MA627LL does not have a built in camera. This means any photos on the device were synced to it from a computer or downloaded from the net. That also means it will not show up as a camera in Image capture or windows explorer.

The only way to get synced images off that old device would be to upload them each with a app or email them to yourself.

The original photos were lost when a hard drive died. We started using Time Machine after that. There are pictures that do not exist anywhere else.

Email is not an option. This was from an era before the 'Mail' app apparently. I have to work within the very tight confines of the technology of that day. If I try to reset it, they are gone. If I try to update it, they are gone.

There is a program called 'iExplorer' that claims to be able to mount 'any' iDevice like it were a hard drive on 'any' Mac. And it's $35.00! I guess it's not a lot to pay when there don't seem to be any other options.

Funny, in essence, this iPod has been like a 'time machine' itself. Seeing those old pictures. A run of them are from Kona Village. We arrived the day before Steve Jobs' was rumored to have left. I can see why he loved it there. It was one of my most relaxing vacations ever. Read up on Kona Village in 'the Google'. It was destroyed after a Tsunami, and has been plagued with accusations of fraud and other malfeasance since. Apparently it will be rebuilt, and seems rather soon. It really was a very incredibly 'rooted' place. Worth the money we spent. It was a treat...

macbookfan

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Mail has been part of iOS sense Version 1.0. Are you sure you did not overlook it? Or perhaps you have the restrictions turned on is settings to not allow access to it...

The original photos were lost when a hard drive died. We started using Time Machine after that. There are pictures that do not exist anywhere else.

Email is not an option. This was from an era before the 'Mail' app apparently. I have to work within the very tight confines of the technology of that day. If I try to reset it, they are gone. If I try to update it, they are gone.

There is a program called 'iExplorer' that claims to be able to mount 'any' iDevice like it were a hard drive on 'any' Mac. And it's $35.00! I guess it's not a lot to pay when there don't seem to be any other options.

Funny, in essence, this iPod has been like a 'time machine' itself. Seeing those old pictures. A run of them are from Kona Village. We arrived the day before Steve Jobs' was rumored to have left. I can see why he loved it there. It was one of my most relaxing vacations ever. Read up on Kona Village in 'the Google'. It was destroyed after a Tsunami, and has been plagued with accusations of fraud and other malfeasance since. Apparently it will be rebuilt, and seems rather soon. It really was a very incredibly 'rooted' place. Worth the money we spent. It was a treat...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Mail has been part of iOS sense Version 1.0. Are you sure you did not overlook it? Or perhaps you have the restrictions turned on is settings to not allow access to it...

I thought the original iPod had its own OS. Kinda of a kludge between iOS and 'roll their own'?

I see no 'Restrictions'.

Under Settings the only things I see are:
  • Wi-Fi
  • Brightness
  • General
  • Music
  • Video
  • Photos
  • Safari
  • Contacts
And the only things under General are
  • About
  • Wallpaper
  • Date & Time
  • International
  • Auto-Lock
  • Passcode Lock
  • Sound Effects
  • Keyboard
  • Reset
Remember, this was from when Steve Jobs was still running Apple. Not sure of the time frame, but he may have still thought he could beat his illness too. So sad...
[doublepost=1491602867][/doublepost]Does anyone here have any experience with iExplorer

Does it work?

Is it worth the cost?

Are there any other options?
[doublepost=1491602939][/doublepost]Thanks for all that have contributed answers to this thread. I appreciate them. I just have to find a solution.

I have thought of calling Apple, but I don't want to wonder what they would charge for this...

macbookfan

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Under "about" what version of the OS is it running?

you can download the newest version that the original iPod can run from here:
http://www.techno360.in/firmwares/

After you update you should have Mail. I guess I forgot that the original firmware was gimped.

Before you buy any software I would contact there support and make sure you can get a refund if it does not work.

I thought the original iPod had its own OS. Kinda of a kludge between iOS and 'roll their own'?

I see no 'Restrictions'.

Under Settings the only things I see are:
  • Wi-Fi
  • Brightness
  • General
  • Music
  • Video
  • Photos
  • Safari
  • Contacts
And the only things under General are
  • About
  • Wallpaper
  • Date & Time
  • International
  • Auto-Lock
  • Passcode Lock
  • Sound Effects
  • Keyboard
  • Reset
Remember, this was from when Steve Jobs was still running Apple. Not sure of the time frame, but he may have still thought he could beat his illness too. So sad...
[doublepost=1491602867][/doublepost]Does anyone here have any experience with iExplorer

Does it work?

Is it worth the cost?

Are there any other options?
[doublepost=1491602939][/doublepost]Thanks for all that have contributed answers to this thread. I appreciate them. I just have to find a solution.

I have thought of calling Apple, but I don't want to wonder what they would charge for this...

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You can install the update for free. It does not check if you bought it. Just need the IPSW.

I can install it IF IT WILL SYNC. It won't. Probably due to the age of the thing. It's apparently the first generation iPod Touch. It's far into the distance for Apple. I was actually surprised it still charged, and didn't swell up and nearly explode. I found an old Palm Vx that completely split open after I charged it in an attempt to see what was on it so maybe I could sell it on ebay to collectors. It was a Vx in a V case as apparently whoever made them didn't release the proper case labeling until shortly after some were released with the wrong back. But that's beside the point.

It charges (YAY Apple!) and I still need to get stuff off it. I'm not believing in the iExplorer software angle yet as it appears that the iPod doesn't 'mount' in an traditional sense, and is not, from what I can tell, being seen by the OS.

THAT is why I wondered about Windows XP. IF I can scare up a XP machine, could I still get an older vintage iTunes app to maybe be able to get *something* off the thing...

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
You should have better luck with an older machine. I have my trusty, rusty old original iPhone running 1.1.1 that I still use as an iPod. When I plug it into a modern Mac, iTunes gives me the Invalid Response error and refuses to do anything interesting with it. However, when I plug it into my PowerBook, it syncs like a champ; best of luck with getting your hands on something a little more vintage, and on getting your pictures back!

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

macbookfan

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Again you cant use iTunes to get photos off. Apple asumes they are synced from the original and you dont need a way to get them off. No camera roll ect. However if you can get it to reconigeze and then update the software you can email the photos to yourself. You dont need iTunes to sync with the old software to update it. I have updated many iPods using recovery mode.

I can install it IF IT WILL SYNC. It won't. Probably due to the age of the thing. It's apparently the first generation iPod Touch. It's far into the distance for Apple. I was actually surprised it still charged, and didn't swell up and nearly explode. I found an old Palm Vx that completely split open after I charged it in an attempt to see what was on it so maybe I could sell it on ebay to collectors. It was a Vx in a V case as apparently whoever made them didn't release the proper case labeling until shortly after some were released with the wrong back. But that's beside the point.

It charges (YAY Apple!) and I still need to get stuff off it. I'm not believing in the iExplorer software angle yet as it appears that the iPod doesn't 'mount' in an traditional sense, and is not, from what I can tell, being seen by the OS.

THAT is why I wondered about Windows XP. IF I can scare up a XP machine, could I still get an older vintage iTunes app to maybe be able to get *something* off the thing...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Again you cant use iTunes to get photos off. Apple asumes they are synced from the original and you dont need a way to get them off. No camera roll ect. However if you can get it to reconigeze and then update the software you can email the photos to yourself. You dont need iTunes to sync with the old software to update it. I have updated many iPods using recovery mode.

But doesn't recovery mode wipe the contents? Plus if this is so old, I doubt that the thing will sync in recovery mode or any other mode. I'm feeling like I'm stuck. Yeah, you bring up a good point. This could be a one-way street, in that photos were 'deposited' on it, and that was it. No offloading possible. Sad...

macbookfan

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
You can put the iPod in recovery mode and see if itunes gives you the update option. If it only gives you the restore option just restart it and it will go back to the OS. I have done updates without loosing data this way before. However I make no guarantees.

EDIT: make sure it's recovery mode not DFU mode. DFU only shows restore.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
...I'm not believing in the iExplorer software angle yet as it appears that the iPod doesn't 'mount' in an traditional sense, and is not, from what I can tell, being seen by the OS.

I used iExplorer several years ago to get music off an iPhone 3g. I used it in demo mode which was free. Excellent utility.

Anyway, I just tried it again on an old 1st gen iPod touch containing some photos I synced to it via iTunes. (Model MA627LL - same as yours, although at iOS version 3.1.3). I was able to see the photos, but it wanted me to buy the full version whenever I tried to drag them onto the desktop.

I was still able to drag music files off for free - and that all worked fine - just as I remember it from years ago.

So maybe give it a try in free demo mode and see if it'll at least mount?

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
If you use windows it should show up in "my computer" as a camera and let you take off the files through explorer.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
If you use windows it should show up in "my computer" as a camera and let you take off the files through explorer.
That will let you get to "saved photos" but it won't see photos that you synced onto the iPhone via iTunes.

("saved photos" is what "camera roll" was called on early iPods that had no camera. Usually screenshots or pictures saved from mobile safari)

Reactions: robotica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.