Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
Hi, I think you can get this done without buying any old hardware. Just follow these steps:

- Download the free VirtualBox application from http://virtualbox.org. VirtualBox Supports both Mac and PC as a host platform, so you can use it on your Mac or on your PC.
- Download a Windows XP Virtual Machine for VirtualBox from https://az412801.vo.msecnd.net/vhd/VMBuild_20141027/VirtualBox/IE6/Mac/IE6.XP.For.Mac.VirtualBox.zip.
Note: This VirtualBox VM was meant to be used as a developer machine for Internet Explorer 6. You can ignore any messages about Internet Explorer development. The download is from Microsoft, offers a 90-day trial and is fully legal to use.

- Download iTunes 8.0 from http://www.iphonefirmware.com/download-old-versions-of-itunes/#1440545766400-a82429ad-6498.
There is a menu with all versions, just select 8.0 and download it. Note: You cannot use the Internet Explorer from Windows XP to download this, as it is too old to support any modern web site. You'll have to drag the file to the virtual machine or place it on a USB stick, which you can also attach to the virtual machine.

- Install iTunes 8.0 into the VirtualBox machine. You are not going to use it, but you'll need it for the drivers for the iPod.

- Install the trial version of either IExplorer or IFunbox in the VirtualBox machine.

- Connect your iPod to your computer and attach it to the virtual machine.
- Open IExplorer or IFunbox to see if it detects your iPod and shows your photos. If any of these programs does, buy the full version of that program. This will allow you to get all your photos off the iPod. Copy them to the mounted USB disk or to a shared folder and you are good to go.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
That will let you get to "saved photos" but it won't see photos that you synced onto the iPhone via iTunes.

("saved photos" is what "camera roll" was called on early iPods that had no camera. Usually screenshots or pictures saved from mobile safari)

All this shows is 'Photo Library'. There doesn't seem to be a distinction on this OS/device. I'll try to Windows idea. I've been swamped, and being perhaps over cautious...
[doublepost=1491919434][/doublepost]Windows 10 mounts it as a 'camera device', judging by the icon. It even shows a 'DCIM' folder, but it's empty. The storage bar shows full, and red, so there is some black magic going on there stopping the iPod from being accessed.

Freaking DRM...

ggburt

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
Similarly, I found an old 1st G iPod touch (no camera) today with forgotten photos. I've been searching all day for a way to import these photos to my Mac, but can't seem to find an answer anywhere. This is the first thread that seems to address the exact problem I've been facing. The only photos showing up on my Mac Photos import are a couple of photos in the iPods 'saved photos' album. The rest must have been synced previously.

I tried to log into google drive or iCloud via safari on the iPod to see if I could upload each photo, but it's impossible to load these webpages as I'm faced with a message "Cannot Open Page. Safari cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server." The only thing I can do is search on google but not actually open any pages.

Tried to use the apps "AnyTrans" and "iExplorer" with no luck so far.

The only thing I can think of is to potentially email myself each photo (although there's about 4000), and if they get stuck in the outbox to then save photo from the outbox, which should then appear in "saved photos" so I can import them to my Mac.

I was wondering if you managed to find a way in the end to get the photos off the iPod? Appreciate any advice.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
If your Mac recognizes the iPod, you can open iTunes and put it in Disk mode and this may allow you to access drive contents. I don't have much experience with iPods, though...

hollywoodlucky4

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2022
Similarly, I found an old 1st G iPod touch (no camera) today with forgotten photos. I've been searching all day for a way to import these photos to my Mac, but can't seem to find an answer anywhere. This is the first thread that seems to address the exact problem I've been facing. The only photos showing up on my Mac Photos import are a couple of photos in the iPods 'saved photos' album. The rest must have been synced previously.

I tried to log into google drive or iCloud via safari on the iPod to see if I could upload each photo, but it's impossible to load these webpages as I'm faced with a message "Cannot Open Page. Safari cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server." The only thing I can do is search on google but not actually open any pages.

Tried to use the apps "AnyTrans" and "iExplorer" with no luck so far.

The only thing I can think of is to potentially email myself each photo (although there's about 4000), and if they get stuck in the outbox to then save photo from the outbox, which should then appear in "saved photos" so I can import them to my Mac.

I was wondering if you managed to find a way in the end to get the photos off the iPod? Appreciate any advice.
Hi, I had the same exact problem and was able to somewhat figure it out. I downloaded the iexplorer program that was suggested and don’t even have to pay for it to retrieve my lost photos. I downloaded and ran the program, it’s buggy but it may be that I’m using it on my old MacBook Pro. But I was able to transfer my photos from the iPod to my Mac so mission accomplished.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.