Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJSimonR

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2018
I'll be interested to see what your results are. I bought a standard m.2 ssd and an adapter. I'm in the UK too.

Aaron Morris

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2020
I was thinking about doing that and I probably will if this is a fix, I just didn't want to introduce any other compatibility issues. did you use a crucial p2? I see that their 5112gb model is only £60 at the minute. Although I might do a 1tb upgrade if I can get the machine working reliably.

Aaron Morris

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2020
The first whole day with the new SSD, not a single crash. I'm going to get a 1tb drive and an adapter I think. So in my case, I can definitely put it down to either a hardware fault with the SSD or more likely some kind of software incompatibility with that specific SSD module.

I'm glad to have a working MacBook! hope this helps anyone else still struggling. For only £60ish you can get a permanent fix :)

Reactions: bivalvegruff

DJSimonR

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2018
That’s excellent. If it is an SSD issue I am very disappointed that apples hardware diagnosis test didn’t pick anything up.

Aaron Morris

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2020
I'd run some more tests and hopefully use the drive externally but I'm finding it difficult finding an external enclosure for the apple proprietary socket they use. Have you done anything with your old drive?

DJSimonR

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2018
I haven’t no, I’ve just wrapped it up and put it away.

you might be able to get an adaptor for the Apple ssd.

DJSimonR

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2018
another issue that seems to have disappeared for me too is my machine getting really warm. when I first got it I noticed it was getting very warm quickly and because this was my first retina Mac I just thought that it was a trait. I installed Mac fan control and use to ramp up the fans a bit more to bring the temps down. I never got any throttling.

Now though, with or without Mac fan control, I am not getting any heat issues. the machine runs cool most of the time unless I put it under stress which is understandable.

I still use Mac fan control and set it ramp up more than stock and I let it idle at 2500rpm and the Mac is cold to the touch under general use.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
Just thought I would let people know my experience since changing the drive. Has anybody else changed their drives and are still having the issues?

I have not tried it yet, but others have posted about similar experience with replacing the SSD and having success with this issue:

@DJSimonR could you please post the exact model SSD with part number?
[automerge]1594586318[/automerge]
For clarity, I have an Apple SM0512F in my machine. It would be interesting to see if this is a common trait with affected machines

Yes, I also have 500 GB Apple SM0512F in my mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro Retina (MacBookPro11,3). There have been other posts in this thread about success after switching out the SSD.

Last edited:

DJSimonR

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2018
@michaelafcadio

So my original drive is a Samsung S4LN053X01 Model MZ-JPU256T/0A6 256GB.

I have replaced it with a Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD CT500P1SSD8

I hope those details help. I would be very interesting to see if it's a batch of drive that are faulty or if its just random.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelafcadio

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
I still cannot believe Apple has not acknowledged this issue at all given how widely it's been reported.

I agree and am frustrated by the lack of acknowledgement, let alone a fix from Apple.

However, the reality of the situation is that this issue primarily affects older hardware and therefore Apple sees little benefit from spending time investigating the issue and addressing it.

Does anyone have any ideas about predictions of how many users are actually affected by this?

aresilop

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2020
Hi, I signed up just to say thank you. I was doing the whole applethunderbolt thing but I saw that if you do change the ssd the problem goes away. I tried 1 week ago with a 512GB SSD from a macbook pro 2015 (so the speed is 3 times as fast as mine, macbook pro 15 late 2013) and I had no shutdown whatsoever !! I think it's well worth the 140€ thait I paid and I gained 256GB too. I hope this mac will last me 2years because of that !! And it will be way easier to sell too if it doesn't like crash everytime someone does an update. So swapping the SSD does really work!​

s!deshow

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2019
Letting everyone know that Big Sur will require an alternative strategy:
- The system partition can longer be mounted as root/written to without disabling "root protection" and file vault (and cryptographically signing a snapshot)
- The ThunderboltHNI.kext files are no longer at the same location where they used to be, likely its functionality is now sitting in a different driver completely
- The new kmutil utility could be helpful deactivating kernel extensions without deletion of files, but I have just started digging here.

Don’t upgrade to the Public Beta unless you’re fine with running one of the python based CPU exhausting scripts.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelafcadio

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
Does anyone have any ideas about predictions of how many users are actually affected by this?
Well there's all the users in this topic. All the commenters on the dedicated random shutdown site (https://outluch.wixsite.com/rmbp-crash). And then there's the countless reports on the Rossman group forum. So I'd say it's a widespread problem. Any mention of it on the Apple discussion site gets 'cleansed' so we don't know how many people tried there and gave up.

I agree and am frustrated by the lack of acknowledgement, let alone a fix from Apple.
Oh Apple has a fix for you alright. They'll sell you a new logic board for $800. But the catch is that the replacement board has the same flaw which will pop up again when you least expect it. This is my second board and I've decided to just live with it. (and 4th charger). I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a new laptop (with new problems).

Last edited:

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
I wonder if anybody has tried a board-level repair service like iPad Rehab, or Rossman Group to get that faulty power chip replaced?

owenchristian

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020
I wonder if anybody has tried a board-level repair service like iPad Rehab, or Rossman Group to get that faulty power chip replaced?
I did email Rossman Group about potentially having this fixed, and the response was "This is most likely related to CPU MOSFETs causing VCORE to drop out which can be fixed on average 2/10 times by replacing all CPU MOSFETs. Low success rate makes this repair unviable. I'm sorry :("

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
Hmm. Sounds like someone on the email didn't know what they were talking about. The problem chips are buck converters, not mosfet transistors.

I did some more research into it. I read that for macbooks with dedicated GPU, the success rate for replacing the chips is abysmal (~10%) and most end up coming back. However, for integrated graphics macbooks the success rate is 70-80%. So there is hope. But I can see how Rossman would refuse, since taking a customer's money for something that might not work is shady. In cases where it doesn't help, it means the CPU is permanently damaged.

What is still a mystery to me, is how CPU voltage and the Thunderbolt extension are connected.

Last edited:

aresilop

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2020
They'll sell you a new logic board for $800. But the catch is that the replacement board has the same flaw which will pop up again when you least expect it. This is my second board and I've decided to just live with it. (and 4th charger). I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a new laptop (with new problems).
Ah man I'm not the only one who had to buy charger after charger because they just all burned out and it was long before the random shutdown !! Since I used the thunderbolt thing I never had this problem anymore but I had to buy 3 OEM charger for 80€ each, absolutely insane ... And before they propose to change the logic board they will propose to change the battery for more than 200€, guess what it doesn't fix the shutdown and then "well you can pay 800€ for the logic board" they drove me insane I'm glad I don't have this pb anymore. The genius bar is **** nowadays it is what it is.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
The chargers are garbage. They run so hot you could use it as a hotplate to cook your breakfast. I bought one this year that didn't even last a month.

Tobs56887

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2020
Hi, I signed up just to say thank you. I was doing the whole applethunderbolt thing but I saw that if you do change the ssd the problem goes away. I tried 1 week ago with a 512GB SSD from a macbook pro 2015 (so the speed is 3 times as fast as mine, macbook pro 15 late 2013) and I had no shutdown whatsoever !! I think it's well worth the 140€ thait I paid and I gained 256GB too. I hope this mac will last me 2years because of that !! And it will be way easier to sell too if it doesn't like crash everytime someone does an update. So swapping the SSD does really work!​

Which state of software are you currently using? And did you still rename the files or did changing the ssd fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.