Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s!deshow

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2019
That's bad news. Do you have a faulty machine that you can test this workaround with?
I do. When I tried to apply the Thunderbolt fixes which used to work in Catalina I noticed the number of changes that present as obstacles to the current workaround. Since my previous post I tried to run the below right after startup to disable what I perceived to be similar to the previous Thunderbolt kexts, but to no avail. It is very possible that these are the wrong drivers, or that the unloading needs to happen at an earlier stage during startup. Sadly there is little to no documentation yet on kmutil and it’s possible that the driver bundle which contains the Thunderbolt drivers needs to be removed (+signed) from the root-protected system partition (which I was unable to do so far).

Code:
kmutil unload -c com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltDPAdapterFamily
kmutil unload -c com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltDPInAdapter
kmutil unload -c com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltDPOutAdapter
kmutil unload -c com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltEDMSink
kmutil unload -c com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltIP
kmutil unload -c com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI
kmutil unload -c com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltPCIDownAdapter
kmutil unload -c com.apple.iokit.IOThunderboltFamily

Last edited:

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
The hackintosh community have gotten Big Sur to run using non-standard hardware. They must know how to manipulate the system partition and extensions.

ghostly123

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2020
Hey guys I have a early 2013 macbook pro retina and I still have the black screen problem after trying this:
-Reinstall HighSierra OS with latest updated version
-Run the hardware test with 0 error
-Run the python script with both 0.0005 and 0.1 seconds
-Switch automatic graphic switching off
-Rename all .knext files starting with AppleThunder as stated here to .BAK
-Open the macbook pro and unplug/replug the screen and SSD I believe and clean all the dust
-Reset PRAM NVRAM and/or SMC
-Battery at 635 cycles, I always leave the charger plugged in as I use it with a monitor

How I test quickly if each step resolved my issue is by connecting via thunderbolt or hdmi my external screen and going into a hot corner with my mouse multiple times and it usually reboots to a black screen (only keyboard lit) and then I need to reboot to get a screen back. It seems like the computer is either overheating or too much CPU used?

So, I'm starting to believe my only solution is to buy a new MBPR...but from what I'm reading, people still get this issue on new macs.. thanks in advance for anything..

Last edited:

owenchristian

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020
Hey guys I have a early 2013 macbook pro retina and I still have the black screen problem after trying this:
-Rename all .knext files starting with AppleLightning as stated here to .BAK
-Open the macbook pro and unplug/replug the screen and SSD I believe and clean all the dust
-Battery at 635 cycles, I always leave the charger plugged in as I use it with a monitor

How I test quickly if each step resolved my issue is by connecting via thunderbolt or hdmi my external screen and going into a hot corner with my mouse multiple times and it usually reboots to a black screen (only keyboard lit) and then I need to reboot to get a screen back. It seems like the computer is either overheating or too much CPU used?

So, I'm starting to believe my only solution is to buy a new MBPR...but from what I'm reading, people still get this issue on new macs.. thanks in advance for anything..
Did you rename AppleThunderboltNHI.kext?

ghostly123

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2020
Sorry for double post but has anyone got a similar situation or see anything I could be missing out? Thanks..really looking forward not spending a 2,500$!

-Rename all .knext files starting with AppleThunder as stated here to .BAK

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
I don't think your problem is related the one experienced by people in this topic. I would suggest opening your own topic.

ghostly123

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2020
I don't think your problem is related the one experienced by people in this topic. I would suggest opening your own topic.
After changing the SSD to a OWC 500GB Aura 6G, the problem persisted. I did more research and it seems like there was a callback that finished in 12/2016 for the 2010 models and up to 2013.. The graphic cards switching from Intel to NVIDIA seems to be causing the crash.
Only solution for me has been to install gfxCardStatus(the version that lets you select integrated only) and set to integrated only(because the discrete nvidia card is apparently faulty). Downside is that I can't plug an external display and graphics performance will be limited.

Cideral

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2020
The solution for me was to move all the Apple Thunderbolt drivers out not just AppleThunderboltNHI.kext. Disabling that one kext file was not enough for me.

For future readers, I've had this exact same issue on my mid 2014. I thought it was my battery again, but there were no low battery signals, just the random shut down. I reset my SMC like 20 times, replaced my battery, and replace my charger. Safe mode worked perfectly fine for me as well. I just moved all of the Apple Thunderbolt files outside of the System/Library/Extensions folder.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
Has anybody survived the update to MacOS 10.15.6 ?

I just updated today and currently running with the Python script. I'll reboot later tonight and rename the Thunderbolt drivers and report back. I'm less concerned about updates to Catalina causing problems. Big Sur on the the other hand...

the_adamk

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2019
Has any of fellow warriors tested BigSur yet? Sorry, just red previous entries. Has anyone successfully tested BigSur?

Last edited:

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
anybody know how to turn off updates?

You can turn off automatic updates from System Prefernces > Software Update > Advanced and ensure that "Install macOS Updates" is not checked. If you're really paranoid you can also uncheck "Install system data files and security updates."

1602714787047.png

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
it's all unchecked. Apple still bugs me about updates, and sometimes forces them them to install, causing me to lose all my work.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
it's all unchecked. Apple still bugs me about updates, and sometimes forces them them to install, causing me to lose all my work.

Is it possible that your Mac has mobile device management (MDM) software controlled by your employer or other organization? If the machine is owned or controlled by a company/organization using MDM, it's possible you may not be able to disable updates.

Or it could be a macOS bug if MDM isn't being used and all the settings are disabled and updates are still installed automatically. I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 and based on the screenshot in my previous post, I have automatic updates configured so that I receive notifications when updates are available, but updates are not automatically installed. Not that I don't want to install updates, but I want to control when they're installed to avoid the problem you're describing.

Another reason to not automatically install macOS updates is that it's a good idea to ensure you have a recent full system backup before updating the OS.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA

There's also a checkbox on the main Software Update screen before clicking Advanced ("automatically keep my Mac up to date") that needs to be unchecked. Make sure that is also unchecked.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
No MDM.
Like I said, all options are unchecked, including the most obvious one.

I have a suspicion about the updates. When you are inevitably reminded (even though you have disabled update checks), it gives you three choices: "Try in an hour", "Try tonight" and "Remind me tomorrow". Maybe as long as you choose "Remind me", then it will keep reminding you. But if you choose "Try", then maybe it simply goes ahead and installs the update automatically. Either that, or maybe you can only dismiss the reminder a limited number of times, or for a limited time, and after that the update is forced.

Either way, the update was installed while I was away from the computer, so I didn't launch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.