Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amnesia106

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
Harzvier
Ok, I was able to rename the kext files on Big Sur. Here is the procedure:

- Disable File Vault
- Reboot into Recovery Mode
- csrutil disable
- csrutil authenticated-root disable
- mount -uw /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- cd /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/Extensions
- mv AllThunderboltKexts.kext AllThunderboltKexts.kext.bak (Except IOThunderboltFamily.kext)
- kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- bless --folder /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot

----EDIT----
(11/13) I still got a reboot, maybe there are more kexts that need to be renamed.
(11/14) Rebuilding the kext cache before bless seems to have solved the issue, no shutdowns so far.
(11/14) Still getting shutdowns.

(11/15) kmutil did the trick (thanks to redmetz).

View attachment 1665721
I to this like naguzmans...
rename all thunderbold kext -
- kmutil
- bless
- reboot

since this morning no shutdowns...

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-16 um 15.25.25.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-16 um 15.25.25.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-16 um 15.25.14.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-16 um 15.25.14.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 205

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
The instructions are for Big Sur, mounting the drive as -uw makes it writeable. I will post a full tutorial later.
unfortunately it doesn't work for me. this is what I mean (see pictures):

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-11-16 at 20.25.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-16 at 20.25.58.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 264
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-11-16 at 20.25.58 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-16 at 20.25.58 (1).jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 259

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
unfortunately it doesn't work for me. this is what I mean (see pictures):

Are you sure your drive is called Macbook HD and not Macintosh HD? Did you apply csrutil disable and csrutil authenticated-root disable? Also, try not adding the last / when mounting.

nol2001

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
UK

- Disable File Vault
- csrutil disable
- mv AllThunderboltKexts.kext AllThunderboltKexts.kext.bak (Except IOThunderboltFamily.kext)
- bless --folder /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot

----EDIT----
(11/13) I still got a reboot, maybe there are more kexts that need to be renamed.
(11/14) Rebuilding the kext cache before bless seems to have solved the issue, no shutdowns so far.

View attachment 1665721
This method seems to have worked for me on my 15 inch 2014 rMBP.

0x11

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
This method seems to have worked for me on my 15 inch 2014 rMBP.
Can u use ethernet after renaming thunderbolt; I have 15" 2014 rMBP; I was renamed for same issue in Catalina, after ethernet connection was not working.

0x11

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
Wait... @amnesia106, can you please clarify which exact fix you used? In my case, when I rename/move all of the Thunderbolt drivers, I can no longer use my Thunderbolt ports and devices such as Thunderbolt docks, network interfaces, and video. If I want to continue using Thunderbolt devices, then I need to use the Python script instead.
Also I'm looking for a solution without disable Thunderbolt docks.. @amnesia106

nol2001

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
UK
Can u use ethernet after renaming thunderbolt; I have 15" 2014 rMBP; I was renamed for same issue in Catalina, after ethernet connection was not working.
I can’t test sorry as I don’t have the adapter or cables

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Are you sure your drive is called Macbook HD and not Macintosh HD? Did you apply csrutil disable and csrutil authenticated-root disable? Also, try not adding the last / when mounting.
thanks for your prompt support, @naguzmans! well, I confirm you that I've disabled both csrutil (as I was used to do with the previous MacOs) and csrutil authenticated root (in BigSur). Also, the disk name is Macbook HD:

ls /Volumes/

Macbook HD> Macbook SD/ com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/

and no change by removing the final "/" when mounting.
Anyway, I am working since hours with no problem, this morning....finger crossed...

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
thanks for your prompt support, @naguzmans! well, I confirm you that I've disabled both csrutil (as I was used to do with the previous MacOs) and csrutil authenticated root (in BigSur). Also, the disk name is Macbook HD:

ls /Volumes/

Macbook HD> Macbook SD/ com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/

and no change by removing the final "/" when mounting.
Anyway, I am working since hours with no problem, this morning....finger crossed...
Ok, were you able to mount the disk? This is what you have to write (without the ending /):

mount -uw /Volumes/Macbook\ HD

notgoingoutside

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020

- Disable File Vault
- csrutil disable
- reboot

----EDIT----

This method works until I enable csrutil and reboot. I get into a loop of Kernel shutdown errors and restarts. I'm assuming have csrutil disabled is not a good idea? I then have to reinstall Big Sur. I have a late 2013 MBP. Thanks all!

• Wow
Reactions: sclaz8

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Ok, were you able to mount the disk? This is what you have to write (without the ending /):

mount -uw /Volumes/Macbook\ HD
yes I did. anyway, after my last comment, I never had any power off :)
so happy. will follow the rule... "if it works...no matter why... don't touch".... ;-/
thanks a lot for the while ^_^

Reactions: naguzmans

dantheman21

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
General questions for this thread...

1.Are the .kext files renamed after every macOS update?
2.Am I okay to enable csrutil and the csrutil authenticated-root after everything's done?

Thanks!

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
General questions for this thread...

1.Are the .kext files renamed after every macOS update?
2.Am I okay to enable csrutil and the csrutil authenticated-root after everything's done?

Thanks!

1.Are the .kext files renamed after every macOS update? In previous versions of macOS that happened, I suppose in Big Sur this will happen too.
2.Am I okay to enable csrutil and the csrutil authenticated-root after everything's done? I would not recommend it, some people are experiencing kernel panics and shutdowns when enabled.

dantheman21

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
1.Are the .kext files renamed after every macOS update? In previous versions of macOS that happened, I suppose in Big Sur this will happen too.
2.Am I okay to enable csrutil and the csrutil authenticated-root after everything's done? I would not recommend it, some people are experiencing kernel panics and shutdowns when enabled.
I can confirm that re-enabling csrutil causes kernel panics on my MacBook. I had to re-install Big Sur and repeat the .kext renaming process to stop the shutdowns.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
I think MacOS verifies all system files and replaces them during every update. Since at least OS 10.14
This is probably to ensure that updates don't break the system.

Yes that means you have to go through this procedure every time you update.

davejh

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
I got the INDMEM 256GB NVMe PCIe Internal SSD and had no problems installing Big Sur upgrading from Catalina. Big Sur boot up in lightning speed on my Imac late 2015

the_adamk

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2019
so the csrutil should stay disabled for Big Sur permanently? Is is a good idea? From what I red csrutil is very important for security reasons.

sodhi07

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
Ok Guys So Here’s the FIX with BIG SUR

I did few modifications with whatever was available on internet to solve this problem

Step 6 & 7 are few modifications which I did.

Here it goes

Reboot in recovery mode (CMD+R)

1. Utilities -> Terminal
  2. csrutil disable
  3. csrutil authenticated-root disable
  4. mount - uw /Volumes/Macos (Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)
  5. cd /Volumes/Macos (Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)/System/Library/Extensions
  6. rm -rf AppleThunderboltNHI.kext
  7. rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
  8. Kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/Macos (Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)/System/Library/Extensions
  9. bless -folder /Volumes/Macos(Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)/System/Library/CoreServices —bootefi --create-snapshot

FORGET THE PROBLEM :-D

You’ll need to perform these steps every time you update Big sur with their security updates n all.

No need to enable SIP

Have a good life :)

the_adamk

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2019
Ok Guys So Here’s the FIX with BIG SUR

I did few modifications with whatever was available on internet to solve this problem

Step 6 & 7 are few modifications which I did.

Here it goes

Reboot in recovery mode (CMD+R)

1. Utilities -> Terminal
  2. csrutil disable
  3. csrutil authenticated-root disable
  4. mount - uw /Volumes/Macos (Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)
  5. cd /Volumes/Macos (Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)/System/Library/Extensions
  6. rm -rf AppleThunderboltNHI.kext
  7. rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
  8. Kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/Macos (Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)/System/Library/Extensions
  9. bless -folder /Volumes/Macos(Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)/System/Library/CoreServices —bootefi --create-snapshot

FORGET THE PROBLEM :-D

You’ll need to perform these steps every time you update Big sur with their security updates n all.

No need to enable SIP

Have a good life :)

Unfortunately in my case above actions do not work. Starting from Mojave, deleting kext files prevented rebooting every time, but this time it does not work. Guess I’m going back to Catalina.

iAmTomas

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2020
Mojave 10.14.6.
First crash was a month ago at 20%. Then constant shut downs at 50-70% with same symptoms: loud fans, no kernel panic etc same as normal shut down by button.
And it was fixed by deleting AppleThunderboltNHI.kext file.
Thanks to this thread!

KuzinVT

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
It seems to me, that I'll try with Kext on my MacBook Pro 15'' 2014 too... Here's my tortures during last few days...

Full description on Reddit

Now about 5 hours on Catalina that I installed at separate Volume of SSD as addition to Mavericks (first OS on this Mac) and no problems...

Reactions: michaelafcadio

Kaladin1154

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020

- Disable File Vault
- csrutil disable
- reboot

----EDIT----

View attachment 1665721
Somehow it doesn't work for me, always says Read Only and I am stuck, disabled both and rebooted but still doesn't work. Here a picture of the terminal and one of my Disk name. Also I am from germany so please excuse minor mistakes.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-25 um 18.25.27.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-25 um 18.25.27.png
    273.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-25 um 18.26.22.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-25 um 18.26.22.png
    398.2 KB · Views: 199

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Somehow it doesn't work for me, always says Read Only and I am stuck, disabled both and rebooted but still doesn't work. Here a picture of the terminal and one of my Disk name. Also I am from germany so please excuse minor mistakes.

You are leaving a space between - and uw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.