Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackv12

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Is anyone down to help me out with the thunderbolt route. I'm willing to pay (apologize if that offends anyone) but I'm just a total noob. Just really afraid of somehow making a mistake on one of the steps and then having to do a complete wipe of my computer. Definitely willing to pay someone who can just walk me through it step by step.

jackv12

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Okay, after reading the posts over and over again, I feel like I might actually be able to do it myself lol. As big of a noob as this sounds, what's the best method of figuring out my MacOSDrive name where I need to input for terminal code? I've listed down below the different names I have and just not sure which that needs to be inputted:

Booted up terminal on desktop: Aryas-MacBook-Pro:~ AV (shown in picture "AV")
Cmd + R terminal: Macintosh HD - Data (shown in picture 2)

Once you guys help out with my noob question, do you mind filling in the blank of with the example below of how I should type it into the terminal once going through the recovery mode terminal?

mount -uw /Volumes/__________

Very last question, enable csrutil at the very end of everything or just leave it disabled?

- sincerely, the big noob

Desktop Terminal.png

Attachments

• Recov Terminal.png
    Recov Terminal.png
    2 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Okay, after reading the posts over and over again, I feel like I might actually be able to do it myself lol. As big of a noob as this sounds, what's the best method of figuring out my MacOSDrive name where I need to input for terminal code? I've listed down below the different names I have and just not sure which that needs to be inputted:

Booted up terminal on desktop: Aryas-MacBook-Pro:~ AV (shown in picture "AV")
Cmd + R terminal: Macintosh HD - Data (shown in picture 2)

Once you guys help out with my noob question, do you mind filling in the blank of with the example below of how I should type it into the terminal once going through the recovery mode terminal?

mount -uw /Volumes/__________

Very last question, enable csrutil at the very end of everything or just leave it disabled?

- sincerely, the big noob

View attachment 1686227

mount -uw /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD
Do not enable csrutil

jackv12

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Update:

Went ahead and stopped being scared (lol) and did the changes. Appreciate the reply @naguzmans!

I accidentally renamed the first two .bak files as ".BAK" and did the rest in ".bak" (image attached). Assuming the capital letters shouldn't be an issue since it's an extension? If it is an issue, assuming I just go back into cmd + r terminal and run through the same exact process/steps (without the csrutil disable/csrutil auth disable steps since they're implemented?) and just change the files from ".BAK" to ".bak"?

Appreciate the patience with my questions.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 4.26.21 PM.png

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Update:

Went ahead and stopped being scared (lol) and did the changes. Appreciate the reply @naguzmans!

I accidentally renamed the first two .bak files as ".BAK" and did the rest in ".bak" (image attached). Assuming the capital letters shouldn't be an issue since it's an extension? If it is an issue, assuming I just go back into cmd + r terminal and run through the same exact process/steps (without the csrutil disable/csrutil auth disable steps since they're implemented?) and just change the files from ".BAK" to ".bak"?

Appreciate the patience with my questions.

View attachment 1686992
It is not an issue, you just have to rename them, leave it that way.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
So, I'll wait too much for your SSD and suppose you'll receive a positive results:)

No update yet. I had planned on performing the SSD upgrade over the Thanksgiving break. Unfortunately, my SSD didn't arrive until Monday after Thanksgiving and I haven't had a minute to get to it yet. Honestly, I'm not expecting it to help with the crashes. If I had to guess, I'd give it less than 1 and 10 chance of working.

jackv12

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Hey, I know this is a little off-topic but relates to the Big Sur update (let me know if you want me to delete the comment and post in a different thread) but has anyone experienced choppiness/quick spikes of lag while typing or moving/using any application windows? Seems like a ton of people are having issues (even with reset of smc/pram). Never had any issues with performance in the prior OS and I believe my MB has internals compatible with big sur.

Has anyone experienced the same issue(s) and have found a remedy for the fix?

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
So, I'll wait too much for your SSD and suppose you'll receive a positive results:)

I'm happy to report that so far after upgrading my SSD, I've been running for 8 hours, 32 minutes without a crash or restart. And with working Thunderbolt ports!

I can hardly believe it! For the first time in more than 18 months, I finally have a MacBook that doesn't crash AND has working Thunderbolt ports AND doesn't need a silly Python script spinning in a busy-wait loop.

I know it's still a little early to declare success, but so far so good. This is incredible. With a $300 SSD upgrade kit, I not only got my MacBook working again, I also have twice the storage space. For those interested, I purchased the Aura Pro X2 1.0TB Solid-state Drive from OWC. The install was quick an easy (and I'm no good with hardware, trust me). I used Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the data from the original SSD to the new one, which had to ran overnight to complete the transfer.

The only downside so far, is that I swear it takes slightly longer to boot now (45-50 seconds vs 30 seconds on the original SSD). But overall performance and speed is good once booted.

There are probably less expensive SSDs out there, but I've had good results with OWC in the past and I wanted a faster SSD with the transfer kit and enclosure.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
I'm happy to report that so far after upgrading my SSD, I've been running for 8 hours, 32 minutes without a crash or restart. And with working Thunderbolt ports!

30 hours without a crash or reboot. I'm still running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. I'll upgrade to the 10.15.7 Supplemental Update this weekend. I'm staying away from Big Sur for now.

jackv12

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Hopefully last noob question: I'm wanting to upgrade from Big Sur 11.01 to 11.1 (hoping it fixes the lag/spike issues people have been experiencing). Does the .kext rewrite process need to be applied again with minor updates or is it only with major updates that it usually needs to be applied?

Thanks for your patience with the questions

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
All updates do a system integrity check, and replace the missing extensions. Likely to make sure updates don't fail.

This update looks like it's mostly for airpods and M1 related stuff. You might consider skipping it.

joshowa

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
Are you sure your drive is called Macbook HD and not Macintosh HD? Did you apply csrutil disable and csrutil authenticated-root disable? Also, try not adding the last / when mounting.
I'm in a similar situation. I completed all the steps without issue AND I never re-enabled csrutil. I typed reboot, then got stuck in a restart loop. Currently reinstalling Big Sur.

Any ideas what happened here? (I'll grab photos next time going through the process)

WouterD

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2020
I am having the same issues with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013). I am running Big Sur 11.0.1.

My solution has been to use an external monitor. Unfortunately that not so easy while on a train... So I am
looking for a proper solution. I have found my way here but I'm getting lost in all the different posts in this
thread. Can someone point me to the right place please.

Thanks!

Reactions: naguzmans

joshowa

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
I went through the steps outlined by naguzmans. But, like I said, still got stuck in a restart loop. I have noticed a few odd things with the random shut downs, however. They have not occurred on Zoom calls, or while watching netflix. They have not occurred while running heavy software like final cut pro or logic pro. For the past two days I have left logic pro projects open while I do other work and there has not been any shut downs. It's not a long term solution, but its working for me until I can give naguzmans solution another try.

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
I went through the steps outlined by naguzmans. But, like I said, still got stuck in a restart loop. I have noticed a few odd things with the random shut downs, however. They have not occurred on Zoom calls, or while watching netflix. They have not occurred while running heavy software like final cut pro or logic pro. For the past two days I have left logic pro projects open while I do other work and there has not been any shut downs. It's not a long term solution, but its working for me until I can give naguzmans solution another try.
Without the fix you should not have any shutdowns while stressing the CPU... I think you did not apply the fix correctly.

jparm1

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
After months of frustration, finally utilized the Python script, and it worked! BUT, being a total noob, didn't know how to run and execute a Python script automatically, so used the guy who created a little app that does the same thing, for $10. It keeps one of my CPU cores at about 10-14% usage, and everything has been working! SO grateful -- even though it's a hack, if it works, it works, and is unobtrusive.

Using a late 2013 MBP, 2.3 quad i7, Big Sur.

Here's the link to MBP Random Shutdown Fix from Real Mac Mods. Once you install and run the app, add it to your login items and you're good to go. You'll see a process in Activity Monitor called "Python" and it hovers around 10-14% of CPU usage.

After 5 Apple calls and a drop-off for repair where Apple claimed to fix it (but didn't), I have little hope Apple will ever offer a solution for our "legacy" products, but this works!

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
They have not occurred on Zoom calls, or while watching netflix. They have not occurred while running heavy software like final cut pro or logic pro.

This is in line with observations made by others. Apparently, when the CPU is taxed the problem does not occur. This is the reason that apps and scripts which put the CPU into an endless spin loop make the symptom go away. (Albeit, at the expense of taking up 6-15% of the CPU and potentially draining the battery faster.)

@jparm1 recently pointed this out here:

There's a Pythons script that has been posted multiple times in this forum which does the same thing as the $10 app. It's also possible to automate the Python script using Automator for free instead of paying for the app:

Others have noted that upgrading the SSD also makes this problem go away, which is what I ultimately did.

Removing the Thunderbolt drivers also has worked in previous versions of macOS (not sure about Big Sur) at the expense of not being able to use Thunderbolt ports and devices.

Update: For an example of the Python script with details see this earlier post:

Last edited:

esoter1c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Ok, I was able to rename the kext files on Big Sur. Here is the procedure:

- Disable File Vault
- Reboot into Recovery Mode
- csrutil disable
- csrutil authenticated-root disable
- mount -uw /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- cd /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/Extensions
- mv AllThunderboltKexts.kext AllThunderboltKexts.kext.bak (Except IOThunderboltFamily.kext)
- kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- bless --folder /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot

----EDIT----
(11/13) I still got a reboot, maybe there are more kexts that need to be renamed.
(11/14) Rebuilding the kext cache before bless seems to have solved the issue, no shutdowns so far.
(11/14) Still getting shutdowns.

(11/15) kmutil did the trick (thanks to redmetz).

View attachment 1665721
In previous osx versions I've only had to rename the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext file. And it's the same with Big Sur for myself. I only renamed NHI.kext and it's no longer shutting off all the time.

I was wondering if anyone could explain what the kmutil and bless commands are doing? And if they're even necessary? I notice that the bless snapshot in Disk Utility is using up around 15gb of space.

Just asking because for High-Sierra, Mojave and Catalina I've only had to rename the NHI.kext file to fix this issue.

Reactions: naguzmans

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
I was wondering if anyone could explain what the kmutil and bless commands are doing? And if they're even necessary? I notice that the bless snapshot in Disk Utility is using up around 15gb of space.

I am also wondering about details for this. I'm no expert but after some investigation, I believe it has to do with additional protections in Big Sur around protecting the system boot volume and creating a snapshot after making changes.

I was able to find these references but not super helpful:

Does anyone else have more details about how the kmutil and bless commands work in the linked post above?

Xapa Marroquín

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2020
Can anyone help me please. I have tried 3 methods but I don't understand how to rename the kext, how am I supposed to do the exception?

- mv AllThunderboltKexts.kext AllThunderboltKexts.kext.bak (Except IOThunderboltFamily.kext)

Is there a video tutorial or something? Or at least a tutorial with pictures command per command

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Can anyone help me please. I have tried 3 methods but I don't understand how to rename the kext, how am I supposed to do the exception?

Is there a video tutorial or something? Or at least a tutorial with pictures command per command
The exception is just a comment and AllThunderboltKexts means the list of Thunderbolt related kexts (as shown in some screenshots)

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
has anyone updated to Mac OS Big Sur 11.2? I would like to know if this may create problems in our case or - perhaps - solving it (don't think that.....)..
tnx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.