Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hahanot

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
Hi All,

Long time lurker in this forum, first time poster. My Macbook Pro started having the same issues 1.5 years ago, been running the python script successfully since then. Recently did the latest update and now my mac cant even complete turning on before crashing, both in normal mode and safe mode. Any advice??
Plug in any Thunderbolt device and try again.
Let us know, if this works with the new update, I haven't updated my laptop in a very long cuz fixing the Thunderbolt problem using Python was quite the hassle.

briancuts

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2022
Let us know, if this works with the new update, I haven't updated my laptop in a very long cuz fixing the Thunderbolt problem using Python was quite the hassle.
So I have a thunderbolt to HDMI extender, but it didnt seem to help (it's also super old and may not work). It now works for a while when plugged into an external monitor - long enough for me to run the python scrip and terminal solutions mentioned on page one or two, but once unplugged it crashed after 10 minutes (which it very rarely did before when running the script). Will try again tomorrow and let you know if I have any luck. For now i'd very much recommend not to update.

Oneiroi91

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
Hoping some of the folks here who are WAY smarter than I can help as I'm all of a sudden having random shutdowns again. Has anyone had any issues since the Big Sur 11.6.2 update? I've been successfully using this fix (deleting AppleThunderbolt kexts, kmutil, bless, etc.) but since the latest update I can't get it to work.

I can either remove the kexts or move the kexts to BAK (both have worked in the past), follow the rest of the steps, boot normally, and in the /system/library/extensions folder the kexts are gone. In System Information/Software/Extensions, none of the AppleThunderbolt kexts are loaded or even appear. However, when I look in System Information/Hardware/Thunderbolt, all of the Thunderbolt information still shows, where in the past everything was blanked out since the kexts weren't loaded.

Also, despite the command in terminal to remove the cache (rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*) my cache folder still shows up in Finder with files from several days ago. Is it possible something in Big Sur is now not allowing the cache to be deleted, or the kmutil functionality has changed somehow? Maybe I'm not getting a clean snapshot? I get no error messages through the command line process.

Edit: on the cache thing, I tried navigating in terminal to System/Library and removing the entire cache directory using rm -rf, but I got an "operation not permitted" line. Not sure if that's something new or just my ignorance at work.

Mid 2014 15" MBP if it matters.

Any thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Having the same problem here. The steps worked for me, but somehow after the 11.6.4 update the driver is still loading even though there is no AppleThunderboltNHI.kext file in System/Library/Extensions. I tried deleting it to see if it would work, but I still get crashes.

Did you ever figure out a fix for this?

cinredman

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
I am running 11.6.4 and had to run through the documented steps to rename AppleThunderbolt.kexts a second time for everything to work. Of course, if you get stuck in a boot/crash, then proceed in recovery mode first to "reset" things, then try again.

Be sure to validate crsutil and csrutil authenticated-root are disabled.
If you need to disable them, then don't forget to reboot after running each command
- csrutil disable
- reboot into recovery mode
- csrutil authenticated-root disable

As to why it took two times? Probably a loose nut behind the keyboard :)

Oneiroi91

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
I am running 11.6.4 and had to run through the documented steps to rename AppleThunderbolt.kexts a second time for everything to work. Of course, if you get stuck in a boot/crash, then proceed in recovery mode first to "reset" things, then try again.

Be sure to validate crsutil and csrutil authenticated-root are disabled.
If you need to disable them, then don't forget to reboot after running each command
- csrutil disable

As to why it took two times? Probably a loose nut behind the keyboard :)
I am able to do all of that, but somehow it seems like MacOS is able to load the Thunderbolt drivers anyway, as some other users have shared previously. Still haven't found a solution somewhere for people who are able to rename or delete the file(s) but still have their Thunderbolt drivers loaded.

cinredman

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
I don't mess with any of the cache stuff. Here are the steps I used AFTER 11.6.4 update.

My disk is labeled MacOS. Therefore, wherever you see "MacOS" below, replace with your HD label
- Disable File Vault (if enabled)
- Reboot into Recovery Mode (CMD + R)
- csrutil disable
- mount -uw /Volumes/MacOS
- cd /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/Extensions
- mv AppleThunderboltNHI.kext AppleThunderboltNHI.kept.bak
- kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/MacOS
- bless --folder /Volumes/MacOS/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot

Oneiroi91

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
Yes, again I can do all of that and the file has been moved, but the crashes still happen.

As an alternative, I found this post that suggests installing OpenCore Patcher and apparently it's able to disable the Thunderbolt driver. I'm not familiar with this kind of application, so will have to look into it a bit, but might be my last resort.

cinredman

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
Yes, again I can do all of that and the file has been moved, but the crashes still happen.

As an alternative, I found this post that suggests installing OpenCore Patcher and apparently it's able to disable the Thunderbolt driver. I'm not familiar with this kind of application, so will have to look into it a bit, but might be my last resort.
strange regarding crash after the steps. However, I too, experienced this in prior updates. When that happened, I had to use recovery to re-install Big Sur and then follow the steps again.

x01203

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2022
I am able to do all of that, but somehow it seems like MacOS is able to load the Thunderbolt drivers anyway, as some other users have shared previously. Still haven't found a solution somewhere for people who are able to rename or delete the file(s) but still have their Thunderbolt drivers loaded.
Disclaimer...I am not even close to a Linux or Unix expert. But...have had some luck here.

So I've been battling this for a while with some recent success. Below might be a little bit lengthy but shows the steps I've gone through if it helps. And per your later response, I concur with not re-enabling csrutil. Won't boot.

For the longest time (prior to 11.6.2), the fix below worked:

Disable File Vault (if enabled)
- csrutil disable
- mount -uw /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- cd /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/Extensions
- mkdir disabled
- mv AppleThunderbolt*.kext disabled/
- kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- bless --folder /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot

Now...in hindsight, I don't think it's really necessary to create a directory called disabled and move all AppleThunderbolt kexts into it. They'll all be re-created with the next patch anyway. Also, the only kext that really seems to be the issue is the AppleThunderboltNHI kext. Anyway...

When 11.6.2 came out, I ended up following the following steps:

- csrutil disable
- csrutil authenticated-root csrutil
- mount -uw /Volumes/"SYSTEM_HDD_NAME"
- cd /Volumes/"SYSTEM_HDD_NAME"/System/Library/Extensions
- mv AppleThunderboltNHI.kext AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK
- rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
- kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/"SYSTEM_HDD_NAME"/System/Library/Extensions
- bless -folder /Volumes/"SYSTEM_HDD_NAME"/System/Library/CoreServices —bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot

This is where I think I was on to something. It isolates and deletes only the NHI kext, but the cache delete was key. I could navigate in Finder and see the NHI kext was gone, yet looking at "About this Mac\System Report\Hardware\ThunderboltUSB4" the Thunderbolt drivers still seemed to be loaded...leading me to the cache idea.

Navigating to the cache folder in Finder it seemed the delete command in the steps above didn't work. I still saw cache files from days earlier which should have been deleted. I had to navigate to the parent directory and try the rm -rf command and it worked. Success! No drivers loaded.

With the latest 11.6.4 patch, however, the second series of steps listed above failed to work. I tried the second series, no luck, and was about to lose my mind. Tried the first series of steps for giggles and wouldn't you know, it worked again. Not sure why, but it did.

I guess my suggestion would be to try the first steps. If no luck, maybe the second list with messing around with trying to delete the cache. Then maybe try the first again? Bouncing back and forth you should get to a state when the kext are deleted or moved in Finder, and drivers showing as not loaded (blank).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: bivalvegruff

Oneiroi91

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
Disclaimer...I am not even close to a Linux or Unix expert. But...have had some luck here.

[...]

Thank you for your help. And thank you @cinredman for your suggestion. I tried reinstalling Big Sur from Recovery, but during the installation (when screen is black with Apple logo and progress bar underneath), the progress would freeze and the heating fans' intensity would rise and then it would crash. I tried completing the installation a few times, but always got stuck at the same place, resulting in a crash reminiscent of the one caused by the Thunderbolt driver. So I got the intuition to plug in a Thunderbolt display and for some reason that did the trick, I was able to finish installing Big Sur.

However, after redoing the usual Terminal steps (mv AppleThunderboltNHI.kext and all the rest...) the Thunderbolt driver was still loading and even worse, the Python script trick for keeping the CPU busy wasn't working anymore.

So I went ahead and tried the OpenCore Patcher application for installing a boot patcher and now the problem is gone! No need to mess with system files, caches or python scripts and apparently it's update-proof (will need to confirm that).
For those interested in that solution, here is the application : https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/START.html
I'm not super tech savvy, but I was able to follow the instructions for installing the OpenCore boot patcher pretty easily. When you open OpenCore, go to Settings > Developer Settings and select "Disable Thunderbolt" BEFORE building and installing OpenCore to your main drive. Make sure to read all the guide's instructions before installing so you know what you're doing.

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Thank you for your help. And thank you @cinredman for your suggestion. I tried reinstalling Big Sur from Recovery, but during the installation (when screen is black with Apple logo and progress bar underneath), the progress would freeze and the heating fans' intensity would rise and then it would crash. I tried completing the installation a few times, but always got stuck at the same place, resulting in a crash reminiscent of the one caused by the Thunderbolt driver. So I got the intuition to plug in a Thunderbolt display and for some reason that did the trick, I was able to finish installing Big Sur.

However, after redoing the usual Terminal steps (mv AppleThunderboltNHI.kext and all the rest...) the Thunderbolt driver was still loading and even worse, the Python script trick for keeping the CPU busy wasn't working anymore.

So I went ahead and tried the OpenCore Patcher application for installing a boot patcher and now the problem is gone! No need to mess with system files, caches or python scripts and apparently it's update-proof (will need to confirm that).
For those interested in that solution, here is the application : https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/START.html
I'm not super tech savvy, but I was able to follow the instructions for installing the OpenCore boot patcher pretty easily. When you open OpenCore, go to Settings > Developer Settings and select "Disable Thunderbolt" BEFORE building and installing OpenCore to your main drive. Make sure to read all the guide's instructions before installing so you know what you're doing.
Yesterday I updated my Macbook (11,2) to macOS 12.3 with no issues, before doing it I just installed OCLP 0.4.3.

Reactions: Oneiroi91

JCGray49

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2022
This thread on MacRumors literally saved me from a $3000 mistake yesterday. I was so frustrated from trying to resolve my Apple mid-2014 16GB laptop issue that all others here have experienced, that I scheduled to have my existing laptop repaired at our local Authorized Apple repair shop AND simply purchase a NEW Apple 14" M1 laptop from our local Best Buy. It was at 3:00 a.m. in the morning that I woke up to continue to search for others that may have experienced my frustration with this issue. I had tried everything including clean installs of my Mojave....updrading to Big Sur....downgrading back to Mojave, etc., etc.. Fortunately, I found this thread on MacRumors and I began to read each and every post from the beginning until the end. I like others had tried every approach to logically resolve this issue first starting whether it was a software issue.....or a hardware issue. At first, it appears like it has to be a software issue especially considering you can safe boot without any issues. For those that have BootCamp like myself with Windows 10 installed, the computer works perfectly fine.

I really wanted to know the underlying cause of all our issues which is why I was so very happy to be directed to this YouTube video.
. For now........ considering I use Office for Mac 2011 which is 32 bit, I am staying with Mojave which enabled me to use this set of instructions to get me back up and running ;

For a permanent hardware fix on these affected computers, it appears that replacement of either the entire logic board or the MOSFET's is the answer. Considering the affects of electromigration degradation of our computers, it seems like sooner or later electronic components are doomed to fail sometime or another.

This method was copied and pasted from this thread and worked great for me in Mojave. I'm simply not ready to part with my subscription free Office for Mac 2011 which happens to be 32 bit.

NOTE: Copied and Pasted from kind and helpful author within this thread.

1. Restart Mac in recovery mode by holding command + r while starting up. While in recovery mode, open Terminal by selecting it from Utilities in the menu bar.

2. Type csrutil disable in Terminal, press enter, enter your password if prompted.

3. Reboot to normal

4. Once logged in, open Terminal and type sudo mount -uw /

4a. Press enter, then enter your password

5. Type killall Finder

5a. Press enter

6. Open Finder, navigate to the the "Go" menubar at the top of the screen and then select "Go To Folder" (command + shift + G).

6a. Go to /System/Library/Extensions

7. Once in the Extensions folder, rename AppleThunderboltNHI.kext to AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK

(alternate Terminal method: sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK)

and rename IOThunderboltFamily.kext to IOThunderboltFamily.kext.BAK

(alternate Terminal method: sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOThunderboltFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOThunderboltFamily.kext.BAK)

8. Restart in recovery mode, open Terminal and type csrutil enable

9. Reboot into normal mode and the problem should be fixed.

Note: I am still able to plug in my external monitor via Thunderbolt and it works even with those kext files disabled. I don't believe Ethernet via Thunderbolt works with the kext files disabled, but I haven't tested it myself as I don't use Ethernet.

jaydot

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2021
Thank you to everyone who’s posted here! I’ve been experiencing random crashes on my mid-2015 15” MBP (2.8 GHz i7, Intel Iris Pro / AMD Radeon R9 M370X, running High Sierra 10.13.6), and was having a difficult time diagnosing the problem before finding this thread. (Here's my Apple Discussions thread, in case the info helps anyone else.)

Before trying the solutions posted here, I was just wondering if there’s any way to confirm the cause of my crashes is the same as everyone else’s? I know many people have described a sudden black screen / shut down – in my case, it’s more common for apps to suddenly become unresponsive, including preventing a Force Quit, until a hard shut-down by holding the power button.

haralson

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
Thank you to everyone who’s posted here! I’ve been experiencing random crashes on my mid-2015 15” MBP (2.8 GHz i7, Intel Iris Pro / AMD Radeon R9 M370X, running High Sierra 10.13.6), and was having a difficult time diagnosing the problem before finding this thread. (Here's my Apple Discussions thread, in case the info helps anyone else.)

Before trying the solutions posted here, I was just wondering if there’s any way to confirm the cause of my crashes is the same as everyone else’s? I know many people have described a sudden black screen / shut down – in my case, it’s more common for apps to suddenly become unresponsive, including preventing a Force Quit, until a hard shut-down by holding the power button.
Sounds like you have a different problem. The only symptom of the problem in the current thread that I know of, is a simple black screen and immediate, forced, unclean shutdown.

rlf613

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Yeah not the same problem at all. This issue causes the CPU to shut down which renders the whole computer unresponsive and subsequent loss of power.

jaydot

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2021
Sounds like you have a different problem. The only symptom of the problem in the current thread that I know of, is a simple black screen and immediate, forced, unclean shutdown.

Maybe it was wishful thinking that I’d finally identified the problem. :/ I have experienced the occasional sudden shut-down, but very rarely compared to the other kind of crash. The combination of 2015 MBP / no crash logs / crashes occurring at moderate, but not high, loads pointed me in this direction – it sounds like I’ll have to keep looking for a cause.

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Did you update through Mac's own system update or through OCLP?
Before updating download the latest OCLP from https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases (OpenCore-Patcher-GUI.app.zip). 'Disable Thunderbolt' is under Settings->Developer Settings. After you install the patch reboot and go to Mac's own software update in System Preferences.

1655623914546.png

Oneiroi91

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
Before updating download the latest OCLP from https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases (OpenCore-Patcher-GUI.app.zip). 'Disable Thunderbolt' is under Settings->Developer Settings. After you install the patch reboot and go to Mac's own software update in System Preferences.

View attachment 2021096
Thank you! I think I remember reading that you had Monterey installed, right? Is it working well even though it's not officially supported on MBP 2014?

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Thank you! I think I remember reading that you had Monterey installed, right? Is it working well even though it's not officially supported on MBP 2014?
I own a 15" Macbook Pro Late 2013. Everything works great in Monterey, no problems so far.

Reactions: Oneiroi91

mafooq

Suspended
Oct 8, 2019
Pakistan
I confirmed open core is the best way to fix plus you can enjoy Monterey installing open core is very easy if anybody need help I can post step by step guide

JudsonNP09

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2022
Does OCLP work with mbp 15,1? (2018 Big Sur 11.6.1). I'm having the kernel panic shutdown issue due to AppleThunderboltNHI.kext. I have disabled csrutil and authenticated-root, renamed the kext to.bak. Before I'm able to create a new snapshot it crashes. 2-3 mins on every boot, even in safe mode and recovery mode, even after rebooting. I heard others were able to disable Thunderbolt and build an installer for older macs. Will this work on mine?
Is there any other way to fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.