Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
Can anyone help me please. I have tried 3 methods but I don't understand how to rename the kext, how am I supposed to do the exception?

- mv AllThunderboltKexts.kext AllThunderboltKexts.kext.bak (Except IOThunderboltFamily.kext)

Is there a video tutorial or something? Or at least a tutorial with pictures command per command

The actual commands to type to rename the files are:

mv AppleThunderboltDPAdapters.kext AppleThunderboltDPAdapters.kext.bak
mv AppleThunderboltEDMService.kext AppleThunderboltEDMService.kext.bak
mv AppleThunderboltIP.kext AppleThunderboltIP.kext.bak
mv AppleThunderboltNHI.kext AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.bak
mv AppleThunderboltPCIAdapters.kext AppleThunderboltPCIAdapters.kext.bak
mv AppleThunderboltUTDM.kext AppleThunderboltUTDM.kext.bak

This is based on Catalina. I'm not 100% sure if these file names have changed in Big Sur. To get a list of the files that need to be renamed, use this command before renaming:

ls AppleThunderbolt*.kext

This all assumes you're following the instructions posted previously after typing the "cd" command to switch to the directory where the kernel extensions are.

Reactions: naguzmans

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
NHI is the only file that needs unloading (and renamed).

@rlf613 can you confirm this is true for Big Sur?

Previously, for older versions of macOS, I was able to get by with just removing the NHI Thunderbolt extension. However, eventually, I started having issues again and I noticed that removing all of Thunderbolt extensions was a quick fix. I have no idea why so that should be taken with a grain of salt. It was just an observation that worked for me and others. If anyone still has issues after removing the NHI Thunderbolt kernel extension, you may want to try removing all of them.

esoter1c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
@rlf613 can you confirm this is true for Big Sur?

Previously, for older versions of macOS, I was able to get by with just removing the NHI Thunderbolt extension. However, eventually, I started having issues again and I noticed that removing all of Thunderbolt extensions was a quick fix. I have no idea why so that should be taken with a grain of salt. It was just an observation that worked for me and others. If anyone still has issues after removing the NHI Thunderbolt kernel extension, you may want to try removing all of them.
I've always only renamed NHI and that's always fixed the issue from High Sierra all the way to Big Sur's latest update.

I'm on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-Inch, Late 2013)

Last edited:

beedizzle

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
confirming this is still required on Big Sur 11.2.1 with MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

once I'm in the .../Extensions folder my preference is to run:

> mv AppleThunder* /BackupFolder/SomewhereElse

I had to move/rename all of the AppleThunder...kexts to get the fix.

Reactions: michaelafcadio

Yggdrasilbury

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2021
Los Angeles
I have a mid-2015 Macbook Pro (11,4) which suddenly started to crash randomly and extremely often (running Mojave) - as it was running fine in Safe Mode, I figured it was a software/OS error, so I made a clean install upgrade to Catalina, which didn't change anything.

Digging around on the Intertubes, it seemed likely that the culprit was a the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext, possibly in combination with failing hardware (SMC controller and/or CPU) - the computer doesn't hold charge, but has been working fine when connected to mains up until now (I have reset PRAM, SMC etc) - nothing makes any difference.

Sometimes the computer works for a short while if I first boot in Safe Mode, then let it sit for a while, then boot normally - but the crashes/kernel panics will come sooner rather than later.

I've tried to follow instructions to remove or rename the offending extensions, but haven't been successful, beyond managing to rename the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, as it appears though it still gets loaded.

When I follow the steps provided by @user3439894 and @hellmaca for Catalina:

, while I'm finally able to rename AppleThunderboltNHI.kext, I'm unable to unload it using

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext

as it gives me the following error:

(kernel) Can't remove kext com.apple.driverAppleThunderboltNHI.kext; services failed to terminate - 0xe00002c7. Failed to unload com.apple.driverAppleThunderboltNHI - (iokit/common) unsupported function.

or this:

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext (kernel) Can't remove kext com.apple.driverAppleThunderboltNHI; services failed to terminate - 0xe00002c7. Failed to unload com.apple.driverAppleThunderboltNHI - (iokit/common) unsupported function.

Also, I'm unable to run kmutil. This is what happens (not using sudo, as this is in Recovery Mode):

-bash-3.2# kmutil -bash: kmutil: command not found

If I try to reboot normally, I get the reboot loop. If I boot in Safe Mode, no crashes.

The only way I'm able to boot normally is after having booted in Safe Mode first, and then the panics come sooner or later (immediately if I use adjust an image in Photos, and quickly if I run Safari - Chrome works much longer).

I've worked with Macs since 1986, and while I'm no command line wizard, I've diagnosed and solved all types of issues, hardware, software, OS and firmware, and I've never been stumped like this. I've tried to get around this for two days now.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

beedizzle

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
@Yggdrasilbury - are you also running both the kmutil and bless command listed below? I found these were essential.

Disable File Vault
- Reboot into Recovery Mode
- csrutil disable
- csrutil authenticated-root disable
- mount -uw /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- cd /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/Extensions
- mv AllThunderboltKexts.kext AllThunderboltKexts.kext.bak (Except IOThunderboltFamily.kext)
- kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- bless --folder /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot

Archaeopteryx Enthusiast

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
I'm so happy I was forwarded to this thread - I also have a Macbook Pro late 2013/Early 2014, recently (last year or so) having problems - screen goes black, fan spins up (keyboard still lit), and this lasts for 5-20 seconds, then computer shuts off.

I also took it to Apple, they replaced the battery and hoped the problem was related, it wasn't, they wiped, still happening, can't find why.

My question: after disabling the csrutil, do I still need to deal with the AppleThunderbolt kext, or has that been dealt with by disabling the csrutil? I tried to move the extension to another folder, or delete it, but am unable.

Yggdrasilbury

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2021
Los Angeles
Kmutil is only for Big Sur
The steps for Catalina are on the post #293
I suspected as much, but when I follow the steps for Catalina the kernel extension still loads, despite being renamed. I heard that kexts are treated differently in in different versions of Catalina, as Apple is increasingly introducing stricter security measures.

Do you have any recommendations for how to best proceed? Should I try to delete all the Thunderbolt extensions (which seems difficult to do, at least I haven't succeeded), and regardless, if these extensions load from a cache regardless of having been renamed or deleted, how do I clear them?

Do you think they're loading from the kernel in the newest version of Catalina (as I saw some speculation about being the case)?

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
I suspected as much, but when I follow the steps for Catalina the kernel extension still loads, despite being renamed. I heard that kexts are treated differently in in different versions of Catalina, as Apple is increasingly introducing stricter security measures.

Do you have any recommendations for how to best proceed? Should I try to delete all the Thunderbolt extensions (which seems difficult to do, at least I haven't succeeded), and regardless, if these extensions load from a cache regardless of having been renamed or deleted, how do I clear them?

Do you think they're loading from the kernel in the newest version of Catalina (as I saw some speculation about being the case)?
Hmm, I don't know about that, I never had any trouble applying the fix in Catalina.
Why don't you just update to Big Sur?

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
@Yggdrasilbury, are you running Catalina? If so, can you confirm you've followed the steps I posted here for Catalina?

These steps will require you to reboot into Recovery Mode using CMD-R while rebooting. Take a look at the post above and confirm you've followed those steps, assuming you're running Catalina (macOS version 10.15.x). If you're not running macOS Catalina (10.15.x), the steps will be different.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
My question: after disabling the csrutil, do I still need to deal with the AppleThunderbolt kext, or has that been dealt with by disabling the csrutil? I tried to move the extension to another folder, or delete it, but am unable.

In general, yes, you need to disable System Integrity Protection using csrutil disable command (which can only be done from Recovery Mode), before you can modify system files such as kernel extensions.

For more info about Disabling System Integrity Protection:

However, whether you need to or not depends on which version of macOS you're running. In Catalina, the root filesystem is mounted read-only and the startup disk is encrypted by default, therefore the steps will be slightly different.

If you're running Catalina, these steps here is what worked for me:

Big Sur steps will be different and have been posted in this thread, but I haven't tried them. If you're running Mojave or earlier, those steps will also be different and have been posted in this thread.

It's important to know which version of macOS you're running and ensure you follow the steps appropriate for that version.

magrix

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2021
ive updated today. im now on 11.2.3 (20D91) - until now, no shutdows...
What was Your original problem, the same Thunderbolt LAN? I've been dealing with this problem for some time now and it was pain to get a temporary fix on Big Sur. Can You confirm that 11.2.3 has a permanent fix and everything is still ok?

Jedi82

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2014
what's the downside on disabling this driver guys? We can't use the thunderbolt lan adapter or?

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
what's the downside on disabling this driver guys? We can't use the thunderbolt lan adapter or?

If you do not use Thunderbolt devices I've found no downside to disabling the driver... other than you need to re-disable it upon every macOS update. If you want to use Thunderbolt devices such as the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter, then disabling the driver isn't a very good workaround because any Thunderbolt devices will not work if their corresponding drivers are disabled.

rlf613

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
I have no idea what the driver does because I can still use Thunderbolt ethernet and Thunderbolt external display.

ddownn

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
Hello. Before installing Big Sur over Catalina, FileVault was enabled. After installing, I turned it off and waited for it to finish decrypting before doing all the steps to get rid of AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.

After installing Big Sur, and renaming AppleThunderboltNHI.kext, and having everything work correctly with a normal boot, I found that I am not able to turn on FileVault.

After clicking on "Turn on FileVault" in Settings, I have tried both options, "Allow iCloud to unlock" and "Create a recovery key." After about 30s, I get a popup that says "FileVault Failed Incorrect password."

Is there a way to fix that?

Last edited:

cdixon1

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2021
Hello. Before installing Big Sur over Catalina, FileVault was enabled. After installing, I turned it off and waited for it to finish decrypting before doing all the steps to get rid of AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.

After installing Big Sur, and renaming AppleThunderboltNHI.kext, and having everything work correctly with a normal boot, I found that I am not able to turn on FileVault.

After clicking on "Turn on FileVault" in Settings, I have tried both options, "Allow iCloud to unlock" and "Create a recovery key." After about 30s, I get a popup that says "FileVault Failed Incorrect password."

Is there a way to fix that?
I have the same problem. I believe it has to do with
Code:
authenticated-root
being disabled. Were you able to re-enable it on your computer? When I do, the computer gets stuck in a boot loop. Right now I'm living with File Vault being disabled but I would love to figure out how to have it re-enabled.

Reactions: Tobs56887

ddownn

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
I have the same problem. I believe it has to do with
Code:
authenticated-root
being disabled. Were you able to re-enable it on your computer? When I do, the computer gets stuck in a boot loop. Right now I'm living with File Vault being disabled but I would love to figure out how to have it re-enabled.
I have not been able to get a normal boot without keeping authenticated root disabled. No solution yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.