Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
It seems to me, that I'll try with Kext on my MacBook Pro 15'' 2014 too... Here's my tortures during last few days...

Full description on Reddit

Now about 5 hours on Catalina that I installed at separate Volume of SSD as addition to Mavericks (first OS on this Mac) and no problems...

Glad you found somethhing that works. Your story mirrors many others on this forum. My MacBook Pro Retina from mid 2014 started running into similar problems about two years ago. Apple replaced the battery with a new one which did not help. I also had my Mac's logic board replaced earlier (before these issues started).

Others here also report replacing or upgrading SSD helps. The two workarounds that have appeard to help the most is removing the Thunderbolt NIC kext (actually deleting the kext file) or keeping the CPU busy in an endless busy-wait loop running as a simple Python program or even a bash script.

This weekend, I'm upgrading the SSD and will report back if it helped or if I go back to removing Thunderbold drivers again.

KuzinVT

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Glad you found somethhing that works. Your story mirrors many others on this forum. My MacBook Pro Retina from mid 2014 started running into similar problems about two years ago. Apple replaced the battery with a new one which did not help. I also had my Mac's logic board replaced earlier (before these issues started).

Others here also report replacing or upgrading SSD helps. The two workarounds that have appeard to help the most is removing the Thunderbolt NIC kext (actually deleting the kext file) or keeping the CPU busy in an endless busy-wait loop running as a simple Python program or even a bash script.

This weekend, I'm upgrading the SSD and will report back if it helped or if I go back to removing Thunderbold drivers again.
Thanks for your reply... Sadly say but during this evening I got about 5-7 reboots during 2 hours... And there was not to high load. I tried to move and delete Kext, but no result: Big Sur or Catalina - no matter.

Diagnostics (not too deep) said that there's no hardware problem. The only way to check it -I think to install Windows 10 and work with it for few days. If there'll no problems - we could understand that nacOS is a problem.

SSD - I thought on it... At first, possibility to receive x2 speed with evo 970 from Samsung... At second, it could really happen with SSD memory cause the temperature is not high at such crashes...

So, I'll wait too much for your SSD and suppose you'll receive a positive results:)

Really tied of this.... I can't normally work and it's killing me!

Kaladin1154

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Guys how do I run the python script? Tried it with my terminal but I am getting a message (see attachment).
At first I just tried dragging the script into the terminal but wouldn't run. Then with commands still nothing.
Do I need to type something for "time" and "import" in line 1? If yes what?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-25 um 23.22.20.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-25 um 23.22.20.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-25 um 23.20.27.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-25 um 23.20.27.png
    384 KB · Views: 139

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Yeah without the space I am getting "unknown special file or file system /Volumes/Kaladin."
DO I need to use Kaladin - Data? If yes how?
Also thank you for helping me
Post a screenshot of that error please. Are you doing it in Recovery Mode?

Kaladin1154

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Post a screenshot of that error please. Are you doing it in Recovery Mode?
Sorry, don’t want to get on anybody’s nerves, but after doing what I have posted above, my Mac doesn’t even Boot anymore and Shows „Your Computer Restarted....“ and Loops
To clarify after doing the post above it booted normally. Then I shut down the Mac (Kernel activity 17% if that’s important) and did „csrutil enable“ in recovery mode and since then it doesn’t boot, disabling also didn’t work. Silly me I didn’t even do a backup
What do I do now?
I can get into recovery mode but don’t know what to do then?
Did I do something completely wrong?

Last edited:

KuzinVT

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Guys how do I run the python script? Tried it with my terminal but I am getting a message (see attachment).
At first I just tried dragging the script into the terminal but wouldn't run. Then with commands still nothing.
Do I need to type something for "time" and "import" in line 1? If yes what?
1. Open Terminal
2. Enter python
Enter import time
4. Press Enter
5. Enter:
while True:
time.sleep(0.00002)

6. Press TAB key one time
7. Press Enter

Minimize terminal and proceed working. Repeat this every time your reboot your mac. To control working of the script use Monitor. Look at the screenshot I attached.

I made this thing now too... Few hours no reboot, but later will see...

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2020-11-26 в 11.06.57.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-11-26 в 11.06.57.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 120

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Here, up until kmutil everything worked, after that I don't really know ;(
You are not following the tutorial, you renamed IOThunderboltFamily:

mv AllThunderboltKexts.kext AllThunderboltKexts.kext.bak (Except IOThunderboltFamily.kext)

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Sorry, don’t want to get on anybody’s nerves, but after doing what I have posted above, my Mac doesn’t even Boot anymore and Shows „Your Computer Restarted....“ and Loops
To clarify after doing the post above it booted normally. Then I shut down the Mac (Kernel activity 17% if that’s important) and did „csrutil enable“ in recovery mode and since then it doesn’t boot, disabling also didn’t work. Silly me I didn’t even do a backup
What do I do now?
I can get into recovery mode but don’t know what to do then?
Did I do something completely wrong?

Please, read all the related posts before doing anything, csrutil must not be enabled after applying the fix.

KuzinVT

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Approved!

Friends, just make everything that Naguzmans told! It's work! 5 hours on Big Sur on MP Pro 2014, 15". No shutdowns. The same work the day before without renaming Kexts was about 8 black screens.

Thanks to Naguzmans for this tip!

Reactions: nol2001

KuzinVT

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Did manage with disabling authenticated and rebooting, everything runs again. Still thank you. That IOThunderBolt renaming should't cause problems right? Or can I change just that one back?
You need to use mv command for everything this:

2020-11-26 22.35.29.jpg

And don't touch IO at all!

Rstk

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
It's just me or there was a sudden increase of people having this issues in the last weeks with the same old models (me included)

Rstk

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
It's possible to replace FDMF6808 with FDMF6708 without render the DG board useless ?
I mean it may not solve the shutdowns but at least it doesn't get worse

Rstk

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
by the time the 6808 fails, the CPU is already damaged. That's why DG board repair success rate is extremely low.
Yes i'm aware of "SMMRepair" report from rossmann forums. The thing is more not to make the board completely K.O. from replacing the chips.

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
I confirm you that in my case the solution finally worked. But:
- I must not enable crsutil anymore
- Ethernet connection cannot be used anymore. I thought that was not an issue, but now my router has some problem with the wifi.... and cannot work ;-( it's a "bad-luck-chain"....

Anyway I want to thank the people in this forum!

Do you believe Apple may provide a patch soon? I have actually this issue since 3/4 years, but now it looks the amount of people has widely increased.... how's possible to make a class-action claim? ;-)

Reactions: naguzmans

Rstk

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
I confirm you that in my case the solution finally worked. But:
- I must not enable crsutil anymore
- Ethernet connection cannot be used anymore. I thought that was not an issue, but now my router has some problem with the wifi.... and cannot work ;-( it's a "bad-luck-chain"....

Anyway I want to thank the people in this forum!

Do you believe Apple may provide a patch soon? I have actually this issue since 3/4 years, but now it looks the amount of people has widely increased.... how's possible to make a class-action claim? ;-)

I doubt they care to do anything with these old models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.